Suggestion on Linus's Youtube

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Snip

Hey, I'm not saying I understand all of the challenges involved.... I'm merely voicing my opinions on the matter seeing as this appears to be a place to do it. Lack of ultrawide content is currently the only thing preventing me from buying a PG348Q (or some equivalent panel like that). Maybe they could even get some sponsorship funds or deals from an ultra-wide provider like Asus, Acer, LG, or whatever to help with the transition. Granted, I'm not buying a PG348Q to watch Youtube, but when game support gets here I know I'm going to be disappointed with watching Youtube channels in 16:9.

I'm not currently a member of Float Plane nor do I ever intend to be in its current state. the mere benefit of being able to see things a week early does not appeal to me. However, if/when I get myself an ultrawide monitor, if they have 21:9 ratio supported on their videos on Float Plane, and if that feature is exclusive to ONLY Float Plane, then you bet your arse I'm gonna sign up for that. I would imagine a large percentage of all 21:9 viewers of his channel would feel the same way. That exclusive feature, to me, is worth paying for. Even perhaps for some viewers who have a 16:9 panel, watching a 21:9 clip with bars on the top/bottom can be more desirable to some than a standard 16:9. Float Plane needs some truly exclusive features and content in order to really suck people over there, and I think this could be a good way to do it.

But I really don't know. I'm not a media production company. I honestly know very little about cameras and production and everything that goes into actually making a high quality video. But LMG also has a ton of resources, a ton of staff, and are always looking for ways to innovate. It feels like they would be the kind of channel to take on this sort of endeavour, and making it a Float Plane exclusive feature should allow them to profit for it.

12 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

I have a 21:9 monitor too, you want to know what I do? I suck it up.

Almost all video content outside of films is 16:9, I knew that when I got the monitor. You don't buy an ultrawide for Youtube viewing, you buy it for movies, productivity or gaming. Please stop complaining that the world doesn't change the way it works just because you bought a monitor without understanding what you bought.

Good for you. Do you feel better about yourself after attempting to shame us with your superior wisdom?

Witty retorts aside, this thread is labeled "Suggestion on Linus's Youtube"... Nobody here is complaining, these are mere suggestions and us discussing the possibilities of 21:9 and expressing interest in how the channel might better service some of its viewers. Its reasonable for him to make a suggestion about LMG recording formats. Its reasonable for us to discuss back and forth why this is a good or bad idea. Its reasonable for us to discuss other possibilities for 21:9 viewing as we have been doing. You attempting to belittle someone simply because they wish to provide feedback on their experience with the channel is just so..... unreasonable. It doesn't belong in this thread. If you're here to attack the idea he proposed... then attack the idea, but don't be attacking the person suggesting the idea.

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's the point of shooting in 21:9 if almost all of your focus fits in a 16:9 window?

that's the entire point of this thread: so your 21:9 viewers don't need to see black bars! :P

also, Linus has a bit of a reputation for doing things simply because they're cool or remarkable to do, not necessarily because they're entirely practical. Going forward, 21:9 is going to be a continually growing thing until its mainstream (for computer monitors at least, tough to say about TV's and other displays). Now that could be 5-10 years from now (or more) for all I know, but it IS going to trend that way. I mean go back a decade and we could be having literally this exact conversation about 4:3 and 16:9. the big problem holding ultrawide monitor sales back is that there isn't a lot of ultrawide content to be enjoyed out there. but this content begets this content. whether its a game, a movie,  a youtube channel, or some other form of content... Once a big company makes a push for something like this, all of the other companies need to follow the trend or get left behind. the more ultrawide content that is created, the more likely people are to purchase ultrawide monitors, and the more likely people are to purchase ultrawide monitors, the more content will be created for them.

I mean, LMG is shooting Float Plane in 8k are they not? even if I misunderstood and hes not doing that, he at the very least DOES have an 8k capable camera. I mean, whats the point in that? its not like his viewers are all running Quadros and $5000 dollar monitors lol.

Heck, on the topic of Float Plane... maybe thats how they integrate this. Maybe it becomes a worthwhile feature to get a TON more viewers on Float Plane, the addition of an exclusive LMG way to enjoy the 21:9 viewing format. Great for LMG because they can now monetize the extra hassle they might be undertaking in creating the additional content, and great for any 21:9 viewer since Float Plane is cheap enough that they can all head over there to enjoy their new experience. Its also a way to pull in new viewers looking for ways to enjoy their 21:9 experience.

16 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

that's the entire point of this thread: so your 21:9 viewers don't need to see black bars! :P

also, Linus has a bit of a reputation for doing things simply because they're cool or remarkable to do, not necessarily because they're entirely practical. Going forward, 21:9 is going to be a continually growing thing until its mainstream (for computer monitors at least, tough to say about TV's and other displays). Now that could be 5-10 years from now (or more) for all I know, but it IS going to trend that way. I mean go back a decade and we could be having literally this exact conversation about 4:3 and 16:9. the big problem holding ultrawide monitor sales back is that there isn't a lot of ultrawide content to be enjoyed out there. but this content begets this content. whether its a game, a movie,  a youtube channel, or some other form of content... Once a big company makes a push for something like this, all of the other companies need to follow the trend or get left behind. the more ultrawide content that is created, the more likely people are to purchase ultrawide monitors, and the more likely people are to purchase ultrawide monitors, the more content will be created for them.

I mean, LTT is shooting Float Plane in 8k are they not? even if I misunderstood and hes not doing that, he at the very least DOES have an 8k capable camera. I mean, whats the point in that? its not like his viewers are all running Quadros and $5000 dollar monitors lol.

The problem with your trend argument though is that widescreen formats were already commonplace by the time the transition was taking place. The whole argument for 16:9 was so you could watch movies as they were without letterboxing. Granted, letterboxing is still prevalent in 16:9, but it's a more compelling argument going 16:9 from 4:3 then than it is going to 21:9 now (which isn't perfectly aligned with most cinema aspect ratios anyway, so you're still going to get letterboxing)

The reason why Linus shoots in 8K is probably "because we can" and "supersampling is cool". But again, the 8K he would be working with is more than likely DCI 8K, if not 8K UHD, which carries the same 1.9:1 aspect ratio with the same FOV as any other camera. Meaning that if they wanted to shoot 21:9, they'd have to pull back to get the same height in a narrower FOV. Otherwise things are going to get chopped off. And then they'd have to find something to fill in the wider space, otherwise that extra space goes to waste. i.e., you're going to have to rethink your creative processes otherwise you're just wasting time.

Ultimately, if you're that annoyed by pillarboxing/letterboxing, you should probably step back and rethink what's really important.

Almost all video content outside of films is 16:9, I knew that when I got the monitor. You don't buy an ultrawide for Youtube viewing, you buy it for movies, productivity or gaming. Please stop complaining that the world doesn't change the way it works just because you bought a monitor without understanding what you bought.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Snip

Hey, I'm not saying I understand all of the challenges involved.... I'm merely voicing my opinions on the matter seeing as this appears to be a place to do it. Lack of ultrawide content is currently the only thing preventing me from buying a PG348Q (or some equivalent panel like that). Maybe they could even get some sponsorship funds or deals from an ultra-wide provider like Asus, Acer, LG, or whatever to help with the transition. Granted, I'm not buying a PG348Q to watch Youtube, but when game support gets here I know I'm going to be disappointed with watching Youtube channels in 16:9.

I'm not currently a member of Float Plane nor do I ever intend to be in its current state. the mere benefit of being able to see things a week early does not appeal to me. However, if/when I get myself an ultrawide monitor, if they have 21:9 ratio supported on their videos on Float Plane, and if that feature is exclusive to ONLY Float Plane, then you bet your arse I'm gonna sign up for that. I would imagine a large percentage of all 21:9 viewers of his channel would feel the same way. That exclusive feature, to me, is worth paying for. Even perhaps for some viewers who have a 16:9 panel, watching a 21:9 clip with bars on the top/bottom can be more desirable to some than a standard 16:9. Float Plane needs some truly exclusive features and content in order to really suck people over there, and I think this could be a good way to do it.

But I really don't know. I'm not a media production company. I honestly know very little about cameras and production and everything that goes into actually making a high quality video. But LMG also has a ton of resources, a ton of staff, and are always looking for ways to innovate. It feels like they would be the kind of channel to take on this sort of endeavour, and making it a Float Plane exclusive feature should allow them to profit for it.

12 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

Good for you. Do you feel better about yourself after attempting to shame us with your superior wisdom?

Witty retorts aside, this thread is labeled "Suggestion on Linus's Youtube"... Nobody here is complaining, these are mere suggestions and us discussing the possibilities of 21:9 and expressing interest in how the channel might better service some of its viewers. Its reasonable for him to make a suggestion about LMG recording formats. Its reasonable for us to discuss back and forth why this is a good or bad idea. Its reasonable for us to discuss other possibilities for 21:9 viewing as we have been doing. You attempting to belittle someone simply because they wish to provide feedback on their experience with the channel is just so..... unreasonable. It doesn't belong in this thread. If you're here to attack the idea he proposed... then attack the idea, but don't be attacking the person suggesting the idea.

13 hours ago, Drak01112 said:

Nice build. You have a old AF PC and great peripherals, I see where your priorities are. 

That's just how I roll :D

But the great PC will be here soon though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Because this

Image result for monitor resolution percentage

I'm partially responsible for the 1080 and both 768 bars.....my LCD screens never seem to die (if you ignore replacing the fluro tube in the eldest).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Since Floatplane Club is a new platform, and since i'm not aware of Youtube supporting 21:9 ratios, I think Floatplane should innovate on supporting 21:9 to attract more people towards the platform. I dont know its just my idea. I wish i could code that but i cant code soo.......

On 20/04/2017 at 7:42 AM, Zyndo said:

that's the entire point of this thread: so your 21:9 viewers don't need to see black bars!

I agree, I am surprised they don't do 21:9 content given their endorsement of the platform and the cinematography experience of the main camera crew.

Youtube though doesn't support things such as their new "title cards" at the end of the video for 21:9 videos, though this will apparently be fixed eventually if it hasn't already.

RE: Lack of 21:9 content. Every movie ever :P