What video game changed the video game industry the most?

geforceftw

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial for the Atari 2600.  Arguably the worst game ever and single handedly responsible for dethroning Atari as the king of consoles in the early 80s.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Pong

first game ever, hard to argue any other game had a bigger impact on gaming then the game that started it all.

Pong wasn't the first video game ever. It was the first financially successful video game ever. There were others, they just didn't make any money. Just saying.

I'm not old enough to know an old game that changed the industry. My default is Super Mario 64 for the same reasons the other person who said it gave.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It has to be something like Chukie Egg, or some other games for the BBC microcomputer or other old-time kids programmer basic computers. They taught kids how to program. Those kids grew into the people who program our games today.

Some original Chuckie Egg Gameplay:

xlarge.jpg

Compatible with Windows 95

Quake 1.. The first true 3d game with meshes (character models).

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Now this is a pretty interesting question. I would say Spacewar! from 1961 for being the first video game ever made. But then since people have listed several games I will list several others.

Pong for being the first commericial video game.

Zork for popularizing computer RPG games

Super Mario Bros for saving the game console industry from the video game crash of 1981/82 and making the platformer genre highly popular.

Doom, while not being the first FPS (that'd be Catacombs 3D or Battlezone (1980) depending on your definition of FPS) it was the game that made the genre popular.

WarCraft 2 and Command & Conquer for popularizing the RTS genre (the first RTS was Dune 2, Herzog Zwei if you Twist the RTS defenition a little)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert for popularizing multiplayer RTS.

Goldeneye 007 for popularizing FPS on console.

Half Life for popularizing the more "cinematic" and "story driven" FPS.

StarCraft for sparking the RTS e-sport community

CounterStrike for sparking the FPS e-sport community.

Baldur's Gate for popularzing the story driven, party based CRPG.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis for being the first FPS (and TPS) to integrate combined arms into the FPS genre. Alowing you to drive tanks, planes, helicopters etc on a extremely large map.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind for popularizing the open world RPG.

DoTA for creating the MOBA/ARTS/whatyouwanttocallit genre.

Ground Control for popularizing RTT games.

I could list a bunch of other games, but the list would become very large. :P

Brood war what other game had tournaments on beaches players entering an arena from jets.. The noob police and held dominance as an esport for years

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Pong wasn't the first video game ever. It was the first financially successful video game ever. There were others, they just didn't make any money. Just saying.

I'm not old enough to know an old game that changed the industry. My default is Super Mario 64 for the same reasons the other person who said it gave.

technically an older iteration of pong was made using radar equipment I believe. Technically it was the first video game unless I am mistaken.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

GTA ( All of them )

Forza ( Brought a whole new field of driving )

COD ( Belive it! )

Battlefield ( all of them to startegic and "Realistic" warfights )

WOW. ( still no mmo that can beat this game )

Half-Life

That game is a good story, but the game itself is a shitty disaster.

A disc install (1998 release) is practically unplayable. Using an elevator means when you arrive at the desired height, you become stuck in the floor. This occurs at least 10 times throughout the game, causing you to have to load a save file and complete the chapter again..

Not to mention loading a game can randomly spawn you without weapons or a HEV suit.

While I don't think it had the biggest impact, I do believe that battlefield 2 could have been called revolutionary. Almost all parts of the game are better than what they are now in Battlefield 4. I think it had almost everything it needed for a perfect game. Anybody who has played it for a long amount of time would probably agree with me.

Fallout 3, now there's deserts everywhere. xD

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

I don't think you will ever find a single answer for this. World of Warcraft however is definitely one of the best competitors. Wolfenstein 3D laid the foundation for a lot of games as well. Aeon of Strife (Starcraft map) may also be a competitor although not many people remember this or even know what it is.

While I don't think it had the biggest impact, I do believe that battlefield 2 could have been called revolutionary. Almost all parts of the game are better than what they are now in Battlefield 4. I think it had almost everything it needed for a perfect game. Anybody who has played it for a long amount of time would probably agree with me.

those day's. i like to refer to them as the golden years

There are a lot of games that have changed the video game industry a lot, but I want to focus on Minecraft. Look at the marketing they did. None. They were one of the first games to truly embrace piracy, YouTube, and word of mouth as promotion for their game.

you don't even need to market when you are on to something and have a great unique game

cod i made all other video games look so much better

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'll throw in Final Fantasy 7 for popularizing JRPGs.

Most people give it flak because it is very hype driven, but it was a good game and was responsible for that. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Forza ( Brought a whole new field of driving )

What did Forza change?

I've always viewed Forza as Microsoft's attempt at cloning Gran Turismo. Not to say it isn't a good game, but it certainly wasn't original in my view.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff