Nintendo makes virtually no profit on the Switch.

GoodBytes

Japanese tech firm Fomalhaut, a firm who figures out what it costs to manufacture, reports how much the Nintendo Switch costs to produce for Nintendo. Their report involves tearing down the console and analysis every single part cost all by considering the production amounts. All are estimates of course, as we don't know actual deals that Nintendo does with the many manufactures, but their expertise in the field brings us a pretty good idea.

NintendoSwitch_hardware_Console_03-640x4

Based on their analysis the Nintendo Switch cost to manufacture it (part + building it): $257 USD.

This excludes:

• R&D cost of the system
  • Support
  • Warranty coverage cost
  • Marketing and advertising (including renting spot for marketing materials in retail stores)
  • Any other expense of day to day company operations
  • Packaging
  • Transport
  • and, retailer profit

The system has a MSRP of $299 USD

It would seem that the console is sold at cost considering all the extra charges, and the aggressive marketing that the company has been doing with TV and web ads, and even the very costly Super Bowl ads. However, Nintendo CEO, back in Jan 31st said that the console would sales at a small profit on day one, at an investor and shareholder meeting. So the profits are possibly marginal. Maybe just the round up to the nice $299 USD, or they are getting a fantastic deal out of that Nvidia SoC, and/or battery and/or screens which are usually the more costly items in a portable device or Foxconn who builds the system.

According to Japanese tech firm Fomalhaut, who tears down consumer electronics and figures out what it costs to manufacture, and their new report says that Switch manufacturing costs are $257 per console. Nintendo has previously said that it would sell the Switch at profit on day one, and they seem to be making a small profit on each console sold. In addition to the $257 Switch manufacturing cost, there is packaging and transportation, and then the retailers also take a cut of the final price (MSRP is $299).

I wish I could read more into it and provide more details of the tear down cost, however the original source is in Japanese, and it seems to be behind a pay wall site.

Source 1: http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-manufacturing-cost/

Source 2: http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-profit/

Isn't this typical of all consoles? Sell hardware at a loss and make the profits off software.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Isn't this typical of all consoles? Sell hardware at a loss and make the profits off software.

Printers are similar right, cheap printers and expensive ink.

What is typical of Consoles?

Expensive Games!

Do they really need to?

The Switch could've failed and the amount of money wasted would be a small dent in their bank account.

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

BoTW is already pretty much bought by everyone that bought a switch. That's an extra $60 for probably less than $10 in packaging costs.

That's not to mention the tons of other games people will buy once they come out.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

BoTW is already pretty much bought by everyone that bought a switch. That's an extra $60 for probably less than $10 in packaging costs.

That's not to mention the tons of other games people will buy once they come out.

Then there is the Pro Controler.

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not to mention downloadable games becoming popular now so companies don't have to pay anything for manufacturing

How is this news?  This is normal for almost ALL consoles early in their life cycle.  They're sold under a razors and razor blades model.  The only time this was ever news was with the Wii, which proved to be so cheap to produce that it was actually fairly profitable from launch, breaking from normal console sales schemes.  This on the other hand, is business as normal.

All the money is in game and accessory sales.

20 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

For the previous good ones yes. The Xbone and PS4 are sold at a profit and thus are poor value when compared to previous ones and contemporary PC.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Not to mention downloadable games becoming popular now so companies don't have to pay anything for manufacturing

And when you're Nintendo you can even steal an emulator to run your roms on...

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

-

It is news because it is the confirmation, before all we had was assumption though I agree this nothing uncommon.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

23 minutes ago, yathis said:

They will make it on games and accessories.

Like stores and their loss leaders.

Maybe that explains why the accessories are more expensive.

I saw an article that said the exact opposite a while ago. Lemme see if I can find it.

22 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Nope. It is more typical that Sony and Microsoft sales their console at a loss, and makes it back from services, software and accessories, but for Nintendo, so sales the console at a nice profit.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Nope. It is more typical that Sony and Microsoft sales their console at a loss, and makes it back from services, software and accessories, but for Nintendo, so sales the console at a nice profit.

Well I suppose Now it is typical of all consoles :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

and still charges the same price as the physical copies, maximizing profits.

33 minutes ago, yathis said:

They will make it on games and accessories.

Like stores and their loss leaders.

They could, but Sony and Microsoft have been trying for decades and don't do as well as you'd expect. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wow OP is such a Microsoft shill. He sh- wait wrong thread.

43 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

No, not always.

Nintendo almost always makes a profit off their hardware. (Which they still are here.)

If I remember correctly, the 360 started being manufactured for profit within a year while the PS3 was sold at a loss until like 2011.  (Ps3 was losing like $150-200 a system at launch.)

Both PS4 and Xbone are currently sold at a loss as well.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I can't even find a switch to buy.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Maybe that explains why the accessories are more expensive.

No doubt there's a huge margin on accessories but I doubt they're making much more on them than Sony or Microsoft. The Pro Controller is $10AU more than equivalent PS4/XBOne controllers. But in terms of what's in it? When push comes to shove the three controllers are fairly similar in terms of tech except for four main differences. The Switch has gone for a different and more expensive system for force feedback and it has NFC in all of the controllers. And in exchange for that it loses the analogue triggers and headphone jack. I think it's fair to argue whether what we get is worth more to the consumer or not. But I don't think Nintendo's controller would be cheaper to make than their competitors. So that $10 extra probably isn't going to Nintendo.

Though they are the only one actually making an effort to have a library of local multiplayer focused games so.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

34 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

No, not always.

Nintendo almost always makes a profit off their hardware. (Which they still are here.)

If I remember correctly, the 360 started being manufactured for profit within a year while the PS3 was sold at a loss until like 2011.  (Ps3 was losing like $150-200 a system at launch.)

Both PS4 and Xbone are currently sold at a loss as well.

ps3 did too, but the games and accesories made it up.

Still don't think that justifies that a usb-c to hdmi and power dongle should cost 90$

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Good. They lied about that nvidia "custom" chip.

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017