When you know more than the it guy about computers....

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

@djdwosk97

I can guarantee that modern Dell's use F2 as well. We recently got in some Optiplex 7040's that use F2, as well as a bunch of E3000 series laptops that all use F2 as well.

I've actually never encountered a Dell within the last 10 years that uses something else.

I'm still convinced the OP was simply unaware that F2 was the option, and was confusing the F12 boot menu.

Tis what it sounds like to me.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm still convinced the OP was simply unaware that F2 was the option, and was confusing the F12 boot menu.

You boot into the bios...... Right? Right!?!? Riiiight?!?!?!?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

You boot into the bios...... Right? Right!?!? Riiiight?!?!?!?

Your post is confusing.

For Dell computers:

The Boot Menu (F12) launches a menu of boot options: What drives (or other resources, like USB drives or Network Boot) to boot from. It usually also has an option to launch the BIOS.

Or you can just hit F2 to go straight into the BIOS.

So if you're saying something else, you need to clarify.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

New Dell still uses F2 to enter the bios and F12 for Boot menu.

HP is F10 for bios, F9 for Recovery

Lenovo with the Blue enter key, gives you a pause menu to select bios, boot menu, and other features.

There was this Dell workstation I've encounter, where the side panel isn't closed the fans will ramp up to the max. Once the covers are closed, the fan quiets down. It had a thermal trigger switch on the side of the case.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, SamStrecker said:

I just hit del, f2, and f12 all at once

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, djdwosk97 said:

you and me both.

I just run my face across the f keys.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

14 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

Its the same reason I learned IT.

The last time I got had by a computer shop was when my external hdd broke. lol, external hard drives hardly break - they're hard drives nothing special unless you literally throw the hard drive into the ground, but then it may get damaged in or out of the case. Although I've had a uni buddy knock my pc off my table while the hdds were doing stuff and powered on and the data was fine (it was an accident). I did replace the drives a few months later to be sure though.

Anyway, this shop charged me loads of money, new hard drive, new case, time for copying and backing up the data. Apparently the data was hard to get. Get lost, the hard drive was perfectly fine!

Some time later I had another external hard drive 'break' - I took it out of its glued in box and plugged the drive into my pc. Lo and behold the drive was fine and so was my data. All that happened was the controller for the case broke. It was probably the exact same thing as the other time so a new cheap case. Like 20 minutes work. Maybe a day or so in the shop for parts.

That was about the last time I ever went to a pc shop and last time I ever bothered with external hard drives (USB type) - The nas has been pretty solid for years.

The caddy of some external HDD's (Seagate's in particular) have the HDD partitioned & formatted/encrypted in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to directly read the data off the HDD without the shell's USB to SATA adapter.  I found that out the hard way with my (no longer manufactured) 2TB Seagate Expansion Desk-I had to remove the drive from it as it was consistently hitting 58oC whenever I used it (all 7200RPM 3.5" HDD used as external drives should have active cooling or at least a shell that allows for some airflow)

Edit: That's under Linux as well as Windows BTW, and I've had Linux allow me to recover data off a HDD with a heavily damaged platter while Windows wouldn't even recognise it.

Edit2: As for clueless IT guys, I did tell one when getting my Grandmother's old laptop that despite having DDR2, it would only boot with at most 2GB of RAM-as stated in the manual....20 minutes later they thought that the laptop was dead.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Your post is confusing.

So if you're saying something else, you need to clarify.

/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:19 PM, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

You know what his solution was to stop the fans from being so loud? (Btw the fans were set to max speed in bios) He wanted the replace the entire computer to fix it. He's supposed to know this shit. Like really. And apparently he's supposed to be an expert. He tried to use f2 to boot up the bios on a Dell pc. You know, the company that has been supplying us with pcs for the last 12 years?

To be fair, they probably just wanted to troubleshoot back in their office and then use it as a spare later when someone else had issues.

F2 is the BIOS on most older Dells, F12 is the boot menu which lets you go into the BIOS as well. I personally haven't used a "New" dell in about 6 years so it's a good chance they have changed that which he should have known but still F2 is a fairly common key for BIOS. That's what I use to get into it on my ASUS board. DEL works as well.

Also, when people call someone an expert they are usually basing it relative to their skills so they may be an expert to a person who doesn't know a USB port from a PS2 port.

I've found myself in this position very often. Due to some reasons beyond the scope of this conversation I only have a college 2 years degree so I almost never even made it to interviews for IT help desk positions (this is even after I got some verifiable experience in help desk situations and junior positions by the way, they just toss away applicants without University degrees) but now I have more specific experience with databases, reporting and such and since those positions require a more specific toolset or something then HR really can't make as much of a fuss about me.

The help desk guys end up having varied reactions when I talk to them: I try to be pragmatically when I need something from them as I hate wasting my time so I am more likely to ask "Hey my computer doesn't has the intel video driver and I need it to enable my external monitor to expand desktop from my laptop, can you help me out please?" instead of "My monitor doesn't works" which is what 90% of people around the office asks.

Some of the help desk guys have ended up befriending me and even asking me for a bit of advise, my take on an issue, etc. So it's basically just ok because I never intrude on their duties and just let them do their thing. I try to just make an asset of myself so people know that although my position deals with A, I still can give some input on B and C as well and most of my bosses appreciate that. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, djdwosk97 said:

just gonna throw this out there, my dell laptop from 2010 uses f2 to get into the bios. 

my ivy bridge laptop uses F2

my i5 750 system uses F2

I think mine uses F2 F12 and DEL

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, EricX2 said:

To be fair, they probably just wanted to troubleshoot back in their office and then use it as a spare later when someone else had issues.

F2 is the BIOS on most older Dells, F12 is the boot menu which lets you go into the BIOS as well. I personally haven't used a "New" dell in about 6 years so it's a good chance they have changed that which he should have known but still F2 is a fairly common key for BIOS. That's what I use to get into it on my ASUS board. DEL works as well.

Also, when people call someone an expert they are usually basing it relative to their skills so they may be an expert to a person who doesn't know a USB port from a PS2 port.

I can verify that business class Dell computers still use F2 to enter BIOS, and F12 to enter Boot Menu. At work we've bought multiple generations of both laptops and desktops (including one Consumer grade laptop) over the last 6+ years and every single one of them uses F2 for BIOS and F12 for Boot Menu.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I can verify that business class Dell computers still use F2 to enter BIOS, and F12 to enter Boot Menu. At work we've bought multiple generations of both laptops and desktops (including one Consumer grade laptop) over the last 6+ years and every single one of them uses F2 for BIOS and F12 for Boot Menu.

Dell still uses F2 to enter the bios, even on brand new desktops and laptops. Why would they change it, when it's their default bios key for all these years.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 3/31/2017 at 8:27 PM, Chaoix said:

Is the computer old? I have worked in IT at a University and sometimes you use excuses like this to justify replacing hardware before it fails to bosses that know nothing about IT. Also if you work for uneducated bosses, you usually have a line you don't cross in your work so you aren't constantly expected to be a miracle worker keeping all of the systems you maintain on life support because someone is too cheap to replace them.

I am in college IT team(yup the college is too cheap to get actual pros??) 

Also we are trying to upgrade all the lab pcs to Skylake i5s and rx 480/gtx 1060 machines (so far all the cards bought have been rx 480s)

So we are waiting for any machine to fail. Here are some of the stupidest reasons so far

1)over heating, coz low 60s is too much

2)a random USB port didn't work

3)ethernet issues (k, this one is not that small) 

4)fan noise

5)Random malware (that we put thr, smallest one so fat:pokemon uranium) 

Don't ask how  a ETRX, freshman got in the IT team

9 hours ago, Scitesh said:

Don't ask how  a ETRX, freshman got in the IT team

I got hired in as a Freshman too. Cheap labor for the college.

I shed a tear from reading that, such incompetence makes me cry on the inside 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

4 hours ago, Chaoix said:

I got hired in as a Freshman too. Cheap labor for the college.

Not even paid, just given a bit more rope w.r.t attendance also the CSI (it/coding) is more or less a CS team with a few exceptions from It and just 2 guys from tronics 

On 3/30/2017 at 8:31 PM, SamStrecker said:

I just hit del, f2, and f12 all at once

Yup, I just spam delete, F1, F2, and F12 over and over again until it either hits BIOS or starts booting the OS.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

10 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

Not even paid, just given a bit more rope w.r.t attendance also the CSI (it/coding) is more or less a CS team with a few exceptions from It and just 2 guys from tronics 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember my first post? Yeah, that same guy is back, and yet again is screwing up his job.

What happened this time? Well, kids were getting off topic and not working and playing csgo and half life and games like that in class. So he's assigned to block these games and keep them from running. Its an easy job to do, we have a nifty program here that blocks programs and can create a whitelist of programs. Somehow, HE IMPROVES THE PERFORMANCE OF THE GAMES AND ALLOWS MORE GAMES TO RUN THAN BEFORE AND AT HIGHER FRAME RATES.

How? He told me that "DirectX files can be programmed to stop games", and as a result he put all DirectX files and MSVCP files into the system 32, and thought they'd automatically block the games from running. No they didn't. Honestly idk why we haven't had this guy fired he's an idiot.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

Post it in experiences with non techies!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Post it in experiences with non techies!

He's the IT guy, the guy who is supposed to be good at fixing PC's and problems with the net.

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

5 hours ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

He's the IT guy, the guy who is supposed to be good at fixing PC's and problems with the net.

But he's still a non techie, so it counts xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

How do you know in clear detail what he did?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 4/17/2017 at 3:18 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

How do you know in clear detail what he did?

Cause I watchef the guy do it to make sure he didn't f up my laptop