Steam now allows you to download games and software in the background while playing a game

TopWargamer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/13/steam-update-allows-background-downloading-while-playing-a-game/

So along with letting you download games in the background, here's everything else that's in the update:

General

Add ability to limit what time of day Steam is allowed to automatically update apps

Add option to let other games download while a game is running (this is a per-game setting)

Add download regions for Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa in Canada

Add 'Copy all text to clipboard' context menu option in the System Information dialog.

Steam client UI

Improve downloading status text at the bottom of the main window

Big Picture

Added ability to opt into game betas and edit launch options

Added Inbox item under Linux if your machine requires a reboot due to OS level updates

Fix infinite loop of Cloud sync error dialogs on game launch

Fixed mouse cursor being visible during startup animation even if it hadn't moved

Linux

Fix paste pasting stale text.

Fix Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V in client-hosted web page text controls.

Fix incorrect foregrounding of a blank window in some -silent startup cases.

THANK YOU VALVE. It only took you fore er to implement this, but whatever. Looks like while you're downloading all of your games onto your new PC, you can play a game while waiting for them to download.

COMIC SANS

about time

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Yayayayaya

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You could always download a Game and play at the Same time. You just had to pause the downlaod while you were playing and then activate it

inconvenient

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Since the beginning Steam would automatically pause downloads when you launch a game. It was just a way of minimizing background processes  that may could have a small impact on game performance.

Probably less of an issue these days...

FINALLY, I used to have to start a download start the game and unpause the download after I started playing the game.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

You could always download a Game and play at the Same time. You just had to pause the downlaod while you were playing and then activate it

You just contradicted yourself there. You could never download something while playing a game before, it either had to be you were playing and the download was paused or you were downloading and couldn't play a game.

You just contradicted yourself there. You could never download something while playing a game before, it either had to be you were playing and the download was paused or you were downloading and couldn't play a game.

Going into the game paused the download.

If you then paused it and hit resume while still runningthe game, the download would continue when you tabbed back into the game.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

This:

Going into the game paused the download.

If you then paused it and hit resume while still runningthe game, the download would continue when you tabbed back into the game.

Really not a big deal, alt+tab, 2 clicks, alt+tab is not an overly complicated way to ensure downloads resume in-game, and if you're playing online you won't want them running in the background anyway. It's nice, but I wouldn't say it was worth making a thread about lol

Really not a big deal, alt+tab, 2 clicks, alt+tab is not an overly complicated way to ensure downloads resume in-game, and if you're playing online you won't want them running in the background anyway. It's nice, but I wouldn't say it was worth making a thread about lol

inconvenient

inconvenient

Not really, my point (and that of several others it seems) is that there's no new functionality just another way to get the same effect. It still takes 4 clicks per game to set them to continue downloading while running, although you only have to do it once - which as I said is nice, but not exactly anything to write home about lol

As a per game setting, this doesn't really improve much... why couldn't they set it globally? :(

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

It's about time now game time won't ever be interupted again.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

This was always possible but it's nice that you don't have to alt-tab out of a game to do it. 

OMG why did they allow this in the first place? every freaking time I would have to tab out of my game I just started to restart my downloads. COmmon valve its just silly we had to ask for this.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

ehh i always used to do this

start downloading a game

start game ( it gets paused)

ctrl + tab

right click resume

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Its about time that they actually implemented this

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

About.god.damn.time.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Wow a lot of people are making a big deal about the fact that this was "always possible" using an inconvenient and non-intuitive method. You guys realize that most gamers don't even KNOW that you can alt+tab out of a game?

The fact that you have to launch a game, alt+tab out, then manually resume any downloads/updates is ridiculous from a user-interface perspective. For Online Multiplayer games, this might make sense, but for any single player game, c'mon!

I'm WAYYYYYY more interested in this: 

Add ability to limit what time of day Steam is allowed to automatically update apps

I mean, this is fantastic! In my opinion, this is way more important than having downloads continue while you game.

Let's face it, in Canada especially, our bandwidth caps SUCK! Even mine, which is a fairly substantial (By Canadian standards) 300GB/mo, could easily be ripped through if I bunch a bunch of cheap games during a particularly good Steam Sale.

The reason why this is a good feature, is that certain ISP's in Canada are now giving you an "unlimited" grace period between 2 am and 8 am every day (My ISP, TekSavvy, uses this system). Anything downloaded during this time period does not count towards your over-all bandwidth usage.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)