As a former repair tech, WHY do people still perpetuate this Rice nonsense?

goodtofufriday

How could anyone who even knows the smidgiest amount of tech knowhow (ie this forum) still tout this rumor around. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Rice nonsense? I'm not sure what you're referring to...

*edit* oh, the old "put it in rice" to remove water

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

How could anyone who even knows the smidgiest amount of tech knowhow (ie this forum) still tout this rumor around. 

I'm no repair tech and have used this method myself several times... care to expand on your OP.  You didn't provide any info

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

3 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

I'm no repair tech and have used this method myself several times... care to expand on your OP.  You didn't provide any info

https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/ (first article I found on google)

I'll be honest. I always thought putting in rice helped a lot. Though if anyone asks, I tell them it's because Asians come at night and repair the phone like the tooth fairy lol.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/ (first article I found on google)

I'll be honest. I always thought putting in rice helped a lot. Though if anyone asks, I tell them it's because Asians come at night and repair the phone like the tooth fairy lol.

Just read the link.  That actually really makes sense too now that I think about it.  Normal rice takes a long time to absorb water on your stove top compared to oatmeal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

11 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

Rice can't absorb water thats IN a device, and doesn't absorb moisture IN a device either. And if the spilled substance is anything but water, it will leave gunk behind that needs to be cleaned out, which again rice cannot do. 

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Rice can't absorb water thats IN a device, and doesn't absorb moisture IN a device either. And if the spilled substance is anyt but water, it will leave gunk behind that needs to be cleaned out, which again rice cannot do. 

Yeah I did know that contaminates are left behind once the water evaporates so it's not the same as actually cleaning a device.  But why would rice not absorb moisture in a device (assuming the device is not completely sealed).

... and if it was completely sealed it would not have had moisture get inside anyway

Just now, mmaatt747 said:

Yeah I did know that contaminates are left behind once the water evaporates so it's not the same as actually cleaning a device.  But why would rice not absorb moisture in a device (assuming the device is not completely sealed).

Unless the water is evaporating into vapor rapidly, rice would only absorb water it comes into contact with. so any water that sits on inside the device will stay there, and if it evaporates at room temp then the air will absorb it more than the rice would. 

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

and if it evaporates at room temp then the air will absorb it more than the rice would. 

That's a good point.  As for cat litter (which I admit could be messy with electronics) I had an interesting experience.  I had an open bag of it for over a year in my garage.  I tried to used it on an oil spill in my driveway and noticed that it was quite moist.  It appeared that it did a really good job of pulling moisture out of the air (it had never been in contact with liquid water).  I live in Georgia so it's admittedly pretty humid here.

It seems like if you could safely heat a device  then that would evaporate any water better than any absorbing material could eliminate water from a device.

18 minutes ago, mmaatt747 said:

It seems like if you could safely heat a device  then that would evaporate any water better than any absorbing material could eliminate water from a device.

Pretty much yes. But if there was a short when the water spilled no amount of heat or rice will get that, which is often too. 

My favourite quote about this:

"If it was true, you can cook rice by just leaving out in the rainforest."

Think it was Alton Brown.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

a friend of mine asked me for help because she is supposed to design an experiment using the scientific method regarding an everyday occurrence at home. 

After my first idea was scratched due to weather conditions where she lives i recalled this forum post, and so I told her to design one to test whether using rice helps dry out electronics faster.  She won't be using an actual electronic device, but instead something small and plastic but not completely sealed to act as an analogue to a electronics device.  

b/c its proved to work over many, many trials

Hope this helps...

-Delta

2 minutes ago, DeltaGames said:

No, it has not. Its no more effective than letting your phone sit anywhere else, in anything else. Correlation =/= causation. 

3 hours ago, DeltaGames said:

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

@DeltaGames Look at TVwazhere's link

because rice is nice!

Ha Ha...

no-one?

37347515.jpg

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I thought this thread was about Raidmax cases and led fans at first when I saw rice

I think the only reason that it seems to work is that if someone happens to spill water on their device, they turn it off. And leaving it in the rice overnight or for a few days means that at least they won't be attempting to power it on (which is what would short something out).  2-3 days later maybe if any water got it it's dried or moved somewhere that doesn't harm it. Not absorbed though as most people think it does. 

15 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I think silica gel packs are better adsorbent materials than rice. I don't know if the Bheestie bags work better. Even if someone successfully dried the insides of theor phone, the warranty is already void because they have markers inside the phone that can tell them if there's water damage. That's why Samsung and Apple only advertises water resistance up to 1 meter of freshwater for 30 minutes. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

It just seems intuitive to people: Rice absorbs moisture and people put it on salt shakers to keep them from clogging due to humidity so it surely should absorb all that moisture from electronics!

Not as intuitive: water damage would happen at the speed of electricity which means that as long as capacitors and other parts got water contact and some kind of current the damage would be close to immediate to water contact and even if well isolated it wouldn't take water more than a few moments to reach the key parts in question.

-------

Current Rig

-------