dbrand warns against skinning the Nintendo Switch!

wfrank

dbrand just said that the coating will go off with the vinyl skin if you remove it: 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/03/sticker-company-warns-against-skinning-the-nintendo-switch/

We’re here to make a public service announcement that under no circumstances should you be buying a vinyl skin / wrap for your Nintendo Switch. Seems like a counter-intuitive narrative from the world’s leading skin manufacturer, right? Allow us to explain.

It's really a shame...

Original Reddit Article:

So really what they're saying is the glue on their skins is stronger than the Switch's natural paint :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

So really what they're saying is the glue on their skins is stronger than the Switch's natural paint :D 

Exactly :D

Gotta save money somewhere!

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

Dbrand should really be praised for first testing their skins extensively before releasing them, it could have been an easy cash grab for them, but they didn't do it.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

1 minute ago, CaptainGazzz said:

Dbrand should really be praised for first testing their skins extensively before releasing them, it could have been an easy cash grab for them, but they didn't do it.

I'm not sure how extensive applying and removing a skin is, but yes they tested it.

Is this really an issue though? If I were to buy a Switch and slap a skin on it, I would probably just leave it there forever. Not remove it and re-apply it for 24 hours. Even if I removed the skin and the coating was peeling off it wouldn't probably matter since I would apply a new skin..

But yeah. Props to Dbrand for actually testing it and not release a product that would damage the console. :) 

26 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Is this really an issue though? If I were to buy a Switch and slap a skin on it, I would probably just leave it there forever. Not remove it and re-apply it for 24 hours. Even if I removed the skin and the coating was peeling off it wouldn't probably matter since I would apply a new skin..

But yeah. Props to Dbrand for actually testing it and not release a product that would damage the console. :) 

Sometimes after a time the skins will get scuffed up, or will start to peal if not properly applied. So people re-do them. Even as good as DBrand skins are my friend had to redo his twice because he trashes his phone. I assume if you do this a few times they stop applying correctly if the paint and stuff starts pealing away?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

The Switch is becoming a failure.... have you heard of the magnetic interferences the device is receiving from everyday objects? The guys even recommend you keep the Joycon's away from an Aquarium, like wtf type of linking are the controllers doing anyway.... its bloody ridiculous. This is another PS Vita xD.

Groomlake Authority

14 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The Switch is becoming a failure.... have you heard of the magnetic interferences the device is receiving from everyday objects? The guys even recommend you keep the Joycon's away from an Aquarium, like wtf type of linking are the controllers doing anyway.... its bloody ridiculous. This is another PS Vita xD.

The connectivity issues which is the only main issue at launch will probably be fixed completely after a while,I would not say the switch launch is even close to a failure,Also its pretty early to say it will be another Vita considering the console jut launched yesterday at least give it some time.

21 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I don't think anyone would consider "not being able to put skins" a deal breaker. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

12 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I don't think anyone would consider "not being able to put skins" a deal breaker. 

Yeah if that's a major problem, then the analog stick and charging port placement are the end of the world xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

-snip-

Guess i must be special xD.

Groomlake Authority

5 hours ago, theninja35 said:

I'm not sure how extensive applying and removing a skin is, but yes they tested it.

If you read their post it was pretty extensive. They wouldn't want to say "don't buy our stuff" unless they were sure there were issues.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

If you read their post it was pretty extensive. They wouldn't want to say "don't buy our stuff" unless they were sure there were issues.

I read it again and it only says how they began immediately and noticed the effects quickly with a few different trials. I wouldn't consider that extensive, only what's required.

8 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Dude, just link directly to the reddit post...

Thank you. However, it does not display well with night theme.

I think they were also worried that the skin messes up the Switch's finish, which means that the skin begins to peel off. Paint falls off, skin falls off so they didn't want to look bad either. 

10 hours ago, wfrank said:

dbrand just said that the coating will go off with the vinyl skin if you remove it: 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/03/sticker-company-warns-against-skinning-the-nintendo-switch/

It's really a shame...

Could you perhaps expand and detail more so that people don't need to go to the Original article to see the necessary info to understand this?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, theninja35 said:

I read it again and it only says how they began immediately and noticed the effects quickly with a few different trials. I wouldn't consider that extensive, only what's required.

Means after applying the skins they put it through play testing of actual use. Noticed issue. Tried again. Still issue. Tried again. Etc. 

Its not simply slapping a skin on. This should be easy to surmise. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

10 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Means after applying the skins they put it through play testing of actual use. Noticed issue. Tried again. Still issue. Tried again. Etc. 

Its not simply slapping a skin on. This should be easy to surmise. 

So basically a case of Nintendo failing to manufacture a product like a normal company should?

If that's the case then why is anybody buying a Nintendo Switch? Wait for Nintendo to fix their damn problems first.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So basically a case of Nintendo failing to manufacture a product like a normal company should?

If that's the case then why is anybody buying a Nintendo Switch? Wait for Nintendo to fix their damn problems first.

Because of course being able to slap skins to consoles is every customers number 1 priority....ohh it isn't.

Pascal laptops guide

and let's not forget that the dock can scratch the screen 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

and let's not forget that the dock can scratch the screen 

If they placed gorilla glass on it, I don't think plastic would scratch it. But, that's if they did.

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

If they placed gorilla glass on it, I don't think plastic would scratch it. But, that's if they did.

clearly not. Gotta save money somewhere

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/03/03/nintendo-switch-screen-scratches-dock/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>