SpaceX to send private paying customers around the moon

Walms

http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/27/spacex-send-privately-crewed-dragon-spacecraft-beyond-moon-next-year

We are excited to announce that SpaceX has been approached to fly two private citizens on a trip around the moon late next year

Private space travel is a thing!

Once operational Crew Dragon missions are underway for NASA, SpaceX will launch the private mission on a journey to circumnavigate the moon and return to Earth. Lift-off will be from Kennedy Space Center’s historic Pad 39A near Cape Canaveral – the same launch pad used by the Apollo program for its lunar missions. This presents an opportunity for humans to return to deep space for the first time in 45 years and they will travel faster and further into the Solar System than any before them.

dragon-lab.jpg

That's actually incredible, lets hope it works out. SpaceX is doing awesome things.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

thats cool, hope this becomes a thing tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I hope that in my lifetime space travel will be akin to plane travel and that we'll have colonized a bunch of planets in our solar system and begun exploration of other solar systems.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I'm not sure how many of you realize this but if they make this schedule, they will have beaten NASA in the race to get back into manned deep space flights. Honestly SLS and Orion, while fundamentally good ideas, are horribly behind schedule and over budget. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Literally read this, switched to Facebook and the first post I saw was from Sky News with this article. 

Do Facebook spy on our website viewing? #conspiracy. 

Jokes aside, I wouldn't mind a ticket for that. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

13 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm not sure how many of you realize this but if they make this schedule, they will have beaten NASA in the race to get back into manned deep space flights. Honestly SLS and Orion, while fundamentally good ideas, are horribly behind schedule and over budget. 

Yeah SpaceX is free of the political drivers that NASA has to deal with. One of the things that has really hurt them is the number of steak holders they have to satisfy. That's why the space shuttles were so expensive, they were just built to do too many jobs. 

http://fusion.net/story/262294/space-shuttle-failure/

As the Investigative Board noted, the shuttle “aimed to be all things to all people.” This included serving as a showcase for America’s technological dominance (but on a tight and constantly changing budget). This also included the unstated mission of keeping NASA in business after the end of the Apollo program. There were too many compromises and too many conflicting agendas: cut corners but keep giving America amazing spacewalk visuals. The space shuttle, having failed at reducing launch costs, became an end in itself.

Also Orion is much more challenging than the dragon. Dragon is within similar specs to the original Apollo casuals, NASA did a lot of the work to prove they were safe. But Orion has to come in a lot faster and is much bigger so NASA has to do all the ground work to prove the design. In the Apollo era safety was a concern but they were a bit more cowboy back then

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I hope that in my lifetime space travel will be akin to plane travel and that we'll have colonized a bunch of planets in our solar system and begun exploration of other solar systems.

I wish for that too. But human nature will take over and we will destroy ourselves if we ever wanted to achieve something like that :( 

Money and greed kills us.

:feelsbadman:

Just now, Aytex said:

I wish for that too. But human nature will take over and we will destroy ourselves if we ever wanted to achieve something like that :( 

Money and greed kills us.

While that is true for a lot I think collectively human nature is good. The only thing I can imagine that might stop us is a nuclear war but hopefully it never comes to that. I think one thing we will have to figure out though is a permanent government. All the governments we've seen so far end up getting destroyed through revolution a few hundred years after their creation; honestly I think the U.S. is going downwards too. Sigh, so many politics. Maybe aliens can come and help us out? :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

While that is true for a lot I think collectively human nature is good. The only thing I can imagine that might stop us is a nuclear war but hopefully it never comes to that. I think one thing we will have to figure out though is a permanent government. All the governments we've seen so far end up getting destroyed through revolution a few hundred years after their creation; honestly I think the U.S. is going downwards too. Sigh, so many politics. Maybe aliens can come and help us out? :D 

Saw a video on how much we spend on war, as a world. If we put all that money towards space exploration and science and tech advancements, we would be thriving faster than now.

Unless we get hit by aliens, I doubt the world will come together.

1 minute ago, Walms said:

Also Orion is much more challenging than the dragon. Dragon is within similar specs to the original Apollo casuals, NASA did a lot of the work to prove they were safe. But Orion has to come in a lot faster and is much bigger so NASA has to do all the ground work to prove the design. In the Apollo era safety was a concern but they were a bit more cowboy back the

They consider safety a lot more now then they did back then. I mean what it took NASA one year to redesign the capsule and launch another manned attempt after the failure of Apollo 1.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Saw a video on how much we spend on war, as a world. If we put all that money towards space exploration and science and tech advancements, we would be thriving faster than now.

Unless we get hit by aliens, I doubt the world will come together.

And we also really need to put more money into science in general. The amount of money NASA gets compared to certain other things (military especially but there are others too) is actually horrible, we really need to invest more in science. Science is the future and unless we invest in it everything is gonna suck.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

And we also really need to put more money into science in general. The amount of money NASA gets compared to certain other things (military especially but there are others too) is actually horrible, we really need to invest more in science. Science is the future and unless we invest in it everything is gonna suck.

Rip earth my friend. :( 

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Rip earth my friend. :( 

I hope Trump doesn't f*ck up all the global warming efforts we've made because global warming is real and we need to stop it. It's kinda sad that people can't accept it's real even though the evidence is in their faces and then when you show them it they're like, "But my winter was pretty cold definitely no global warming." And then I'm just like, "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!"

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

"I'm tried of sayin' this but I have to say it again. The NASA budget is 4/10ths of one penny on the tax dollar. If I cut, horizontally, into the tax dollar 4/10ths of 1%, that doesn't even get you into the INK. So I will not accept a statement that says we can't AFFORD IT!" -Neil deGrasse Tyson 

Just now, pipnina said:

"I'm tried of sayin' this but I have to say it again. The NASA budget is 4/10ths of one penny on the tax dollar. If I cut, horizontally, into the tax dollar 4/10ths of 1%, that doesn't even get you into the INK. So I will not accept a statement that says, we cannot AFFORD IT!" -Neil deGrasse Tyson 

Our military spending is way too much too. Maybe if we didn't spend so much on the military we wouldn't be swimming on a $20,000,000,000,000 debt right now.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I hope the dates stick for once, it will be a big achievement if they do, the FH and Dragon 2 have been delayed enough. Also wondering and envying who the two passengers are.

I really hope they pull this off.  Give our species something to be proud of for once. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

This is awesome!!!  Go SpaceX !!!  There's a company that I can feel going being a fanboy for (for now).

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Our military spending is way too much too. Maybe if we didn't spend so much on the military we wouldn't be swimming on a $20,000,000,000,000 debt right now.

Not even counting spending, we have as much military equipment as at least the next five biggest militaries combined.

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I hope Trump doesn't f*ck up all the global warming efforts we've made because global warming is real and we need to stop it. It's kinda sad that people can't accept it's real even though the evidence is in their faces and then when you show them it they're like, "But my winter was pretty cold definitely no global warming." And then I'm just like, "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!"

I deal with this at my workplace. "Oh it's just a hoax." No it isn't. Global warming and climate change are both real, and what they didn't understand is that climate change includes global warming.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

to be fair, it depends where in the military you invest, as the R&D part of the military, does occasionally discover shit that help us in out day to day lives

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

to be fair, it depends where in the military you invest, as the R&D part of the military, does occasionally discover shit that help us in out day to day lives

Yeah, but it'd be much better to be investing money in how to get a person to Mars than how to create a laser beam that can destroy a plane.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler