Why are images not allowed in signatures?

H0R53
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
10 hours ago, H0R53 said:

We've had meaningful conversations before, do I seem like they type to 'slap memes in my signature'? No, I'm not. I have a custom banner I made and I use it on Tom's Hardware and every other forum I can. It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

I'd be happy with a 50x150 or 50x100 sig limit.

It's not going to happen because I don't like scrolling past them. I find them distracting.

10 hours ago, H0R53 said:

We've had meaningful conversations before, do I seem like they type to 'slap memes in my signature'? No, I'm not. I have a custom banner I made and I use it on Tom's Hardware and every other forum I can. It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

I'd be happy with a 50x150 or 50x100 sig limit.

It's not going to happen because I don't like scrolling past them. I find them distracting.

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

^ banned for shitposting.

Well that just escalated quickly

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

i think this is all the explanation we need :D

that said, yes, they're defenately beyond sensible amounts of distracting.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Don't make me use this:

threadlocker.jpg

It's bluue.

13 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

And now it's mine. BANNED.

DOUBLE KILL

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

DOUBLE KILL

if Linus was an Overwatch hero his ultimate would be to ban the enemy team.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

19 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

And now it's mine. BANNED.

band.jpg

I think linus is gonna start his own band

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If you were a regular user, I'd imagine you'd have so many warning points by now, just saying ;)

I think someone's jealous. 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

has Linus enabled sv_trollmode 1 or something? 

at a point of one warning point per shitpost he'd be banned by now

idk

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If you were a regular user, I'd imagine you'd have so many warning points by now, just saying ;)

Don't question Linus, or he'll use his ultimate weapon on you:

Spoiler

IMG_0224.JPG

combined with

IMG_0225.JPG

You'd be stuck banned forever :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

@H0R53,

If vocal majority being against your suggestion didn't have any effect, how about owner level response?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

42 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Don't question Linus, or he'll use his ultimate weapon on you:

This is the proper BANHAMMER used on this forum: 

banhammer_by_aidarmadillo.jpg

Stolen from alpenwasser few years back

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:20 AM, W-L said:

The main reason images aren't allowed is to prevent clutter and excess bandwidth that would be incurred to mobile users. 

Agreed, plus, they are annoying to deal with on a slow connection too.

Plus, I still remember forums back in the 90s.  Talk about excessive abuse and eye sores.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I'm surprised so many people are defending the idea of not allowing pictures on signatures, while they themselves have all kinds of fancy styled and distracting text, quotes and mentions on their signatures. And some signatures are quite long and filled with text. I'm no exception.

For that, the "show more" option exists. And if you are distracted by whatever ends up showing on top, you can disable showing other peoples' signatures completely as well.

So disallowing images on signatures because its distracting is really a moot point. It already is.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

I'm surprised so many people are defending the idea of not allowing pictures on signatures, while they themselves have all kinds of fancy styled and distracting text, quotes and mentions on their signatures. And some signatures are quite long and filled with text. I'm no exception.

For that, the "show more" option exists. And if you are distracted by whatever ends up showing on top, you can disable showing other peoples' signatures completely as well.

So disallowing images on signatures because its distracting is really a moot point. It already is.

Then give me one reason why it should be allowed. I can't think of a single one.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Then give me one reason why it should be allowed. I can't think of a single one.

Just because you think you have no reason to include images in your signature doesn't mean everyone else does.

The reason this thread was created is because OP wanted to put an image on his signature.

Give me one reason why fancy long text and quotes on signatures should be allowed. "I can't think of a single one."

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Just because you think you have no reason to include images in your signature doesn't mean everyone else does.

The reason this thread was created is because OP wanted to put an image on his signature.

Give me one reason why fancy long text and quotes on signatures should be allowed. "I can't think of a single one."

Oy, then enlighten me. That's why I'm bloody asking mate.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580