Windows 10 pushes notifcaitons to remind you to watch the Superbowl and to purchase snacks.

Syntaxvgm
1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Is the super bowl a big thing in the UK? It might be a US-only thing.

It is/will be this year. They will play few games i think here but i'm not sure what team. They've been doing promotions like crazy in London since last year. Regent Street  and most of the busses here were literally a huge Super Bowl promo. Big store like NIke, Adidas, Under Armour etc even have a section dedicated for selling Super Bowl stuffs. 

Does it redirect you to stores ?  Or does it just suggest you to make a grocery list it'll remind you about.

I ask by curiosity, I don't have that notification and I don't want to have to fool windows to think I'm in the US for the notification to appear while I remain in France, for it to appear.

39 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Just put all the telemetry garbage behind the router firewall and set cortana's files as read only after mangling them. 

Here are a couple of guides on how to stop Windows 10's illegal data-theft:

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-spying-on-you-using-just-windows-firewall/

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

51 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Still no adds on either one of my 2 PCs. I suppose it's disabled on Education version?

education edition is great with that. i have yet to encounter any of the fuckery home and pro edition suffer from. loveit. still hate microsoft though, im just lucky i could get my hands on it.

51 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Still no adds on either one of my 2 PCs. I suppose it's disabled on Education version?

education version is advertisement in itself. a hook to get you into the MS ecosystem

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

27 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

for some reason they are broadcasting it here in NZ this year. I have no idea why

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

education version is advertisement in itself. a hook to get you into the MS ecosystem

That is true, but for people that main Windows, it's a way to get free Windows and Office 365. Nothing to complain here. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I am guessing these kind off notifications are for Americans only, I'm from the Netherlands and I've never seen anything like this. Or maybe there's a setting you forgot to turn off?

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I wish Microsoft would just get sued already...

It is obvious that they are just trying to see how much shit they can get away with at this point.

The next step in Microsoft's plan is probably to sell dildos. They will go from figuratively fucking their customers, to literally fucking their customers.

Yeah Cortona hinting its features trying to get you to use its reminder feature is microsoft Fucking there customer, that little pop up window which you probably dont even get weekly is a huge problem. The only notification that was actually intrusive and where MS needed to be stopped was the Update ones for W10.

The only notifcations i see are W10 Updates that pop up once and a while. 

1 hour ago, MSWindowsinside said:

I am guessing these kind off notifications are for Americans only, I'm from the Netherlands and I've never seen anything like this. Or maybe there's a setting you forgot to turn off?

I saw one once i updated for cortona like with suggestions that can be used and i get update notifcations thats about it. there not as often or advertising as people are reacting about them.  i guarantee most average consumers wouldnt even see that pop up  

Recently went back to 7 since the only reason i went to 10 to begin with was dx12 and we all know that storie, also i have had more problems with windows 10 and their shitty pop ups and  horrible updates in a year than i had in all my time combined from win98 till i upgraded from 7 to10.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I wish Microsoft would just get sued already...

It is obvious that they are just trying to see how much shit they can get away with at this point.

The next step in Microsoft's plan is probably to sell dildos. They will go from figuratively fucking their customers, to literally fucking their customers.

I love you for posting this. 

LOL! That is funny. Is your system set to US by any chance? Maybe that is why?

Probably Cortana has it that you like sports or something if you played once around with its options (remember that options are sync between your systems if you have a MS linked account), you might have accidentally added that as an interest (or someone you used your computer did). I mean on the notification, you see Cortana icon, so it comes from there. That said, I am just guessing here. I never got such popup to look into it.

Anyway, just make sure you have these boxes disabled:

Capture_1.PNG

These are under: Settings > System > Notifications & actions.

You can probably disable Cortana notifications as well, on the list bellow the above options. But I would check Cortana settings and interest first.

@Syntaxvgm  ^^^^

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No no, it's reach is global. Mainly because the reach of advertising is global tbf but for example here in Mexico there's geniune American Football following i.e. I hold the controversial opinion that soccer is the most fucking boring sporting activity known to man (after Baseball) so I actually prefer American Football.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why do people always get these things. I never get any of the problems that people seem to have. Windows 10 for me is really good. Maybe I just know what I'm doing though:)

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

47 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Why do people always get these things. I never get any of the problems that people seem to have. Windows 10 for me is really good. Maybe I just know what I'm doing though:)

Same, I never got any adds on my machine.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

No no, it's reach is global. Mainly because the reach of advertising is global tbf but for example here in Mexico there's geniune American Football following i.e. I hold the controversial opinion that soccer is the most fucking boring sporting activity known to man (after Baseball) so I actually prefer American Football.

I think soccer is the initial football in terms of chronology, but you're right it's boring as fuck,  especially when in tournaments you can have a team advancing out of group stage without even have won a single game (yes Portugal we shame you for that).

I don't know about the following of American football, but it is the most viewed sport event in the world, followed closely by the football world cup. The fact it is basically a show with entertainment worth as much as the game itself during halftime may help!

(All of that to corroborate what you were saying, still not as boring as soccer! On the boring side, I'd argue tennis can sometimes be close, since it is sooooo long)

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

I think soccer is the initial football in terms of chronology, but you're right it's boring as fuck,  especially when in tournaments you can have a team advancing out of group stage without even have won a single game (yes Portugal we shame you for that).

I don't know about the following of American football, but it is the most viewed sport event in the world, followed closely by the football world cup. The fact it is basically a show with entertainment worth as much as the game itself during halftime may help!

(All of that to corroborate what you were saying, still not as boring as soccer! )

To be fair, American Football teams can also get into the playoff with a loosing record (though is almost impossible without winning a single game) but other than that yes, agreed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

LOL! That is funny. Is your system set to US by any chance? Maybe that is why?

Probably Cortana has it that you like sports or something if you played once around with its options (remember that options are sync between your systems if you have a MS linked account), you might have accidentally added that as an interest (or someone you used your computer did). I mean on the notification, you see Cortana icon, so it comes from there. That said, I am just guessing here. I never got such popup to look into it.

Capture_1.PNG

You can probably disable Cortana notifications as well, on the list bellow the above options. But I would check Cortana settings and interest first.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Syntaxvgm  ^^^^

That's off. See the reddit argument apparently. 

I even did some registry tweaks but they get overwritten in some updates. Updates also turn these settings back on sometimes, but in this case they were off. The conclusion I came to is a batch file I can run after every update. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Capture_1.PNG

I have those boxes disabled and I was still given the Super Bowl notification. Look, I know you and AluminumTech love Microsoft, but you two gotta admit that they're able to do something wrong at some point.

I like stuff like this actually, kinda cool to get little reminders here and there to check stuff out.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

I like stuff like this actually, kinda cool to get little reminders here and there to check stuff out.

For me, it's a reminder to check on what it'd cost to soundproof my room.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

32 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That's off. See the reddit argument apparently. 

I even did some registry tweaks but they get overwritten in some updates. Updates also turn these settings back on sometimes, but in this case they were off. The conclusion I came to is a batch file I can run after every update. 

You can run an application call Shutup10. Recently heard about it via a podcast and I used it on my gf's machine due to complaints of ads. It has a lot of opens, and makes a restore point in case the setting changes are not to your liking. 

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |