ASUS PG258Q Review

Looks like a thumbnail stolen from BarnaculesNerdgasm  

13 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Looks like a thumbnail stolen from BarnaculesNerdgasm  

Not seeing it

3 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

am i the only one who thinks this is kind of dumb? law of diminishing returns much?

Why do you say that? 60 to 144 is a big jump, so is 144 to 240, im sure if I tried it I'd never be able to go back to a lower hz monitor 

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Not seeing it

eyeballs

4 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

eyeballs

Whatever you say man. I genuinely do not see how this relates closely to any of his recent thumbnails. 

At first I thought it was the 4K 144 Hz HDR monitor, but then I saw the thin bezels...

7 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Whatever you say man. I genuinely do not see how this relates closely to any of his recent thumbnails. 

Jesus Christ. 

24 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Not seeing it

Why do you say that? 60 to 144 is a big jump, so is 144 to 240, im sure if I tried it I'd never be able to go back to a lower hz monitor 

the only reason i say that is because its going to take soooooo much power to run the thing. if we go by pixels per frame X frames per second (i know thats not how it works but its not horribly wrong) 1440p is 1.77x the number of pixels than 1080p. and 4k is 4x the number than in 1080p. so if we're running 240 fps at 1080p, you could (using this equation) run 4k at 60 fps or 1440p at 106 fps. and the only card out there that can handle that kind of output is a titan xp and if you have that, you probably arent running a 1080p resolution and you probably dont want to go back.

i can see the demand for games like Cs:go but other than that... i just dont get it. i think it would have been a better investment of R&D money to either work out the kinks in OLEDs or trying to make IPS type panels quality control better and IPS panel production cheaper.

Wow, good luck playing any games made in the past couple years at that framerate... Also, 1080p TN panel? And that ID? No no no, I'll be sticking with my ultrawide.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Wow, good luck playing any games made in the past couple years at that framerate... Also, 1080p TN panel? And that ID? No no no, I'll be sticking with my ultrawide.

CS:GO, overwatch at low/med settings, LoL, among a few... 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

CS:GO, overwatch at low/med settings, LoL, among a few... 

Is this a thing people do? Run old games, or new games at low settings just for higher framerates? I guess it's like people who run cars with crazy power numbers, just to have the numbers there.

Honestly, I'm fine with 75Hz, since I tend to play less competitive games (although I do play Overwatch) and I'm more interested in it looking nice than eliminating that 1ms delay. 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

You guys should check out AOC's 240hz display at some point, has free-sync as well, just ya know, maybe test the free-sync this time

http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/ag251fz

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/reviews/aoc-agon-ag251fz-review-240hz-gaming-monitor-esports/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 hours ago, lettuce head said:

the only reason i say that is because its going to take soooooo much power to run the thing. if we go by pixels per frame X frames per second (i know thats not how it works but its not horribly wrong) 1440p is 1.77x the number of pixels than 1080p. and 4k is 4x the number than in 1080p. so if we're running 240 fps at 1080p, you could (using this equation) run 4k at 60 fps or 1440p at 106 fps. and the only card out there that can handle that kind of output is a titan xp and if you have that, you probably arent running a 1080p resolution and you probably dont want to go back.

i can see the demand for games like Cs:go but other than that... i just dont get it. i think it would have been a better investment of R&D money to either work out the kinks in OLEDs or trying to make IPS type panels quality control better and IPS panel production cheaper.

Most e-sport games aren't intensive games and can be run on laptops. I myself play Osu competitively, and most of the time my fps is 1k-2k. This is a monitor targeted towards a very specific group of people. Your right, I don't see the point of getting this if you play games that max out at like 100 fps or something. But I see the point if you play games that are able to take advantage of max frame display of the monitor 

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

Most e-sport games aren't intensive games and can be run on laptops. I myself play Osu competitively, and most of the time my fps is 1k-2k. This is a monitor targeted towards a very specific group of people. Your right, I don't see the point of getting this if you play games that max out at like 100 fps or something. But I see the point if you play games that are able to take advantage of max frame display of the monitor 

More than half of all LoL players play it because they cant afford a better game, I have friends in this situation even... it is a solid game to play online with friends and runs on potatos while being free... so yeah this monitor targets e-sports gamers but even so a very tiny amount of them.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I was watching this video and it got me thinking. I use a 26" 16:10 monitor and would really hate to give that up and I need to upgrade soon...

Are there any good 4k 16:10 120Hz monitors roughly the same size out there that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A quick google search didn't really reveal much...

Really displeased about the title of the video. The thumbnail is a bit annoying but really not as bad as some of the others.

My problem with the title is, SERIOUSLY, please put the product Make and Model in the title! Especially for a review!

If the title had been:

"ASUS PG258Q Review: The BEST & FASTEST Gaming Monitor. Period."

Or something similar, would have been totally fine. You get the product being reviewed, and you get the stupid titles. Everyone is happy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, Goren said:

I was watching this video and it got me thinking. I use a 26" 16:10 monitor and would really hate to give that up and I need to upgrade soon...

Are there any good 4k 16:10 120Hz monitors roughly the same size out there that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A quick google search didn't really reveal much...

I'm pretty sure there aren't any 16:10 4K monitors at all.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

at least Linus says this monitor is useless to him

If not i will be screaming No all the way for suggesting 1080P TN monitors at this time of gaming monitors

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

at least Linus says this monitor is useless to him

If not i will be screaming No all the way for suggesting 1080P TN monitors at this time of gaming monitors

Indeed - is it fast? Fuck yeah.

But I would personally value an IPS monitor with decently fast refresh rate (up to 120/144) over this TN panel. 1080p is take it or leave it. Mostly depends on monitor size. 22" and under, 1080p is totally fine. 24" is debatable. 1440p is better, but 1080p is still okay. Anything about 24" definitely needs 1440p or 4K.

I'd also take FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync over G-Sync because:

1. I have an AMD GPU, and

2. I want to support open standards that operate between vendors. Since NVIDIA could literally support any FreeSync GPU any time they wanted (Older NVIDIA GPU's probably can't, but I'd be surprised if Maxwell or Pascal didn't have the physical hardware needed).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Indeed - is it fast? Fuck yeah.

But I would personally value an IPS monitor with decently fast refresh rate (up to 120/144) over this TN panel. 1080p is take it or leave it. Mostly depends on monitor size. 22" and under, 1080p is totally fine. 24" is debatable. 1440p is better, but 1080p is still okay. Anything about 24" definitely needs 1440p or 4K.

also 500 bucks for a 25 inch 1080P TN is nuts

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

6 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

also 500 bucks for a 25 inch 1080P TN is nuts

I mean, if you're a top pro CS:GO player? Sure. Whatever.

But no normal gamer should buy this monitor lol

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I mean, if you're a top pro CS:GO player? Sure. Whatever.

But no normal gamer should buy this monitor lol

Yet there are still people buying this just for bragging rights, just like they did with an i7 6950x and Titan XP in SLI

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yet there are still people buying this just for bragging rights, just like they did with an i7 6950x and Titan XP in SLI

Sure those people exist. They're stupid, and just throwing money at ASUS. If they really want bragging rights, they should be buying the most expensive monitor money can buy.

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah, but what sort of bragging rights? Just skimming th eprices at a local retailer. For about the same price this monitor costs (Australian RRP) you can get a 27" IPS Panel with G-Sync/Freesync that's 1440p and has a fairly high refresh rate. One from Viewsonic that's 165Hz and G-Sync, another from Asus that's $100 less, 144Hz and FreeSync.

There's a fine line between bragging rights and laughing stock....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing