Future of desktop computer

Hello Community,

I would like to raise a topic about the future of desktop computers and their relationships with laptops.

Currently, the usual setup for a general consumer is a desktop computer and a laptop(not talking about the 50lbs "laptops").

Usually you use the laptop when you travel and do the casual productivity tasks (and the often gaming) on it. 

And if you need to do more power-consuming tasks like 3D modeling or 4K 60fps gaming, you would use the desktop computer

with the beefy configuration, dedicated graphics card, faster processor.

But with the future of connectivity being  USB Type C and Thunderbolt-3 and the high bandwidth, wouldn't the future of desktop computer being a laptop

that you can carry around? In place of your usual desktop computer for heavy tasks you would find at home an external GPU, a dock for Internet and more USB, external hardrives, keyboard,mouse and monitor(s)

All you'll need to do is plug in all the connectors and voilà.

Laptops processors have a slower clock base, but some manufacturers(Schenker, XMG, SAGER...) allow you to choose a desktop processor therefore not having to compromise the raw power of your

rig. Take a laptop with a i7 quadcore CPU and add a GTX Titan as a eGPU, and it's "pretty decent" 

That would justify the fact of having a 2017 Macbook Pro or the new high end laptops with only USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 and not having to compromise.

What do you think? 

5 minutes ago, Stoff said:

-snip-

We have very capable laptops nowadays but the drawbacks are that they will be heavy, large, hot and loud. Sure as technology keeps improving we'll see more 'portable' powerful laptops but you pay a premium for it.

Who's going to want to carry around a bunch of computer parts when they can just build a mini ITX system? You can even add an external GPU to laptops now.

I cannot see a laptop replacing a desktop as the prices will be higher for a similar desktop build and you're most likely unable to upgrade parts in a laptop.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

The future is cloud computing. We all would have laptops that can do anything. Or just a phone sized PC that can connect to a monitor

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The talk about the end of desktop computers because of laptops becoming good enough to take over, has been going on for 20 years already.

I think quantum computing will before this (if it ever does). He means having a portable laptop, then plugging in a GPU etc. When at home for more power

That's an F in the profile pic

Canonical & Microsoft have been banking on "convergence". Hasn't happened yet, there are some people who only access internet on their smart phones & tablets but they are not artists or engineers 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 minutes ago, OlavEmil said:

The talk about the end of desktop computers because of laptops becoming good enough to take over, has been going on for 20 years already.

16 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The future is cloud computing. We all would have laptops that can do anything. Or just a phone sized PC that can connect to a monitor

I believe these two are correct based on what I have seen on my job.  The desktop market is shrinking.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

In the future that thing you hold in your hand will probably have an x86 processor, have a wiress interconnect to a set if I/O devices, and take over majority of the laptop market. 

So both desktop and laptop markets are going to shrink?

39 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

In the future that thing you hold in your hand will probably have an x86 processor, have a wiress interconnect to a set if I/O devices, and take over majority of the laptop market. 

Not likely, x86 market is shrinking *rapidly* as it looses more and more ground to RISC solutions like ARM. Considering that advanced instruction sets like AVX haven't really taken off in the consumer market, and NEON being a "good enough" replacement for SSE, I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

Writing's on the walls. X86 emulation for ARM hypervisors being built into Windows 10 is the first look at heading in that direction with netbooks too. The only real hurdle remaining for ARM is a standardized consumer platform to match the one they brought out several years back in the enterprise markets.

There was a split in the past five years, a split between consumers and creators. Both groups had been using (more or less) the same machines for adding and consuming content. With the rise of mobile devices like tablets and smartphones, the consumers have focused on those, basically cutting the digital society in half. There will always be a need for real computers (have you ever tried to do any serious work on a tablet or even smartphone?), but the hipsters have moved on.

Write in C.

I do hope that smartphones and laptops/ultrabooks never fully replace the good and old desktop, what fun will there be if all will come pre-built, putting a high end PC together is one of the nicest things there is.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I think it better to look at it from a task perspective rather than from hardware. What do you want to do, and how will it be best done in the future? With sufficient improvements in connectivity I can imagine future devices getting dumber which is in large part why ARM is taking off in the small mobile space (phones/tablets). It just needs to be good enough at low enough power consumption. That leaves use cases where that still wont be viable, and they will get ever fewer. Low end desktop will probably not exist as we know it, and the remaining high end will go up in price. In my line of work, I'm seeing thin clients take over more and more customer sites. However, what I'm imagining here is a long way off. Networking speeds would have to be at least an order of magnitude better, as well as better availability and affordability of wireless, before this can replace a general purpose mid to higher end laptops/desktop.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Proper cloud computing will be the big change. Everything will be done via cloud and just streamed to your device or a media centre in your home; processing, graphics, memory. It'll just be a pay monthly service based on how much you think you need.

We'll just have very basic devices in the home or on person capable of receiving. 

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Probably ARM processor.  x86 is not power efficient due to the hardware based pipelining resulting in unused circuitry.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

ARM is not power-efficient either. MIPS would be.

My mistake.  I should have said RISC CPU not CISC.

Nope, there is one reason why desktops will never go away. RGB LED's illuminating all my parts :P.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

I mean for the general consumer, it would be more simple to have a good quad core laptop and eGPU at home rather than having both laptop and desktop computer. 

I think the day is coming pretty soon where 'desktop' and light duty servers pretty much converge.  Its the same silicon anyways, whether you go with an i7-7700k or an Xeon E3-12xxv6/v7.  Same with chipsets.  Really, there's only 2 platforms even left -- the Xeon E3 and the Xeon E5, for the entire Intel CPU spectrum.  The 'consumer' i3/i5/i7's/Celerons/Pentiums are just stripped down derivatives. 

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Laptop keyboards are garbage. 

I agree, but when on the go, you don't have much choice. At home, with all the docks and ports, you can add a mouse and keyboard to the set.

7 hours ago, Stoff said:

I agree, but when on the go, you don't have much choice. At home, with all the docks and ports, you can add a mouse and keyboard to the set.

I know, but it would be nice for laptop manufacturers to care. Sucks you can drop over 2k for a high end laptop and the keyboard feels like it came from a clearance sale from Walmart. 

You should invest in a separate keyboard anyway when you're mainly working on a laptop. Replacing a laptop keyboard sucks.

Write in C.

Too philosophical and future thinking for me :)