AMD ramping up Ryzen flagship clockspeeds as we move closer to launch

Humbug
Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I was talking more like Zen performance with some form of iGPU. The APUs aren't exactly powerhouses like Intel's -HQ scheme.

Ah right, would that not be the Zen APUs though? I mean it's just a name that AMD uses for CPUs that have iGPUs, Intel just doesn't bother with their own silly term.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Ah right, would that not be the Zen APUs though? I mean it's just a name that AMD uses for CPUs that have iGPUs, Intel just doesn't bother with their own silly term.

Are the newest Bristol Ridge APUs also on a Zen architecture then? I thought they weren't. They don't seem to be from what I've read.

Ye ole' train

7 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Are the newest Bristol Ridge APUs also on a Zen architecture then? I thought they weren't. They don't seem to be from what I've read.

nope they aren't Zen. They are excavator. They just work on the same AM4 socket as Zen.

Zen is launching on high end desktop first. Server and APU parts will follow.

8 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

No they still use old architecture, old as in not Zen.

There will be Zen APUs though and they sound fairly good, proof will be in the pudding though.

AMD's next-gen APU is a CPU/GPU in one, versus the Polaris-based Radeon Pro 400 series GPU inside of the new MacBook Pro. The new APU from AMD mixes the upcoming next-gen Zen CPU architecture with Radeon Technologies Groups' next-gen Vega GPU architecture into a single, low-powered, monster APU.   This means we can expect much better performance from the Zen and Vega-powered Raven Ridge APU, as the respective CPU and GPU architectures are expected to be much better than what's available right now.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54721/amds-next-gen-apu-zen-cpu-cores-vega-gpu-hbm2/index.html

Edit:

Little bit more info from the link

According to the latest report from Bitsandchips.it, AMD is working on a few Raven Ridge APUs - with the higher-end model featuring a 1024-core Vega GPU with HBM2, 16 CUs, DDR4 support, with Zen CPU cores (4 x CPU cores, 4 x - and it all arrives in TDPs of between 35-95W.

The lower-end version loses the HBM2 technology and kicks the Vega GPU from 16CUs on the high-end model, to 12 CUs on the lower-end model. The 170mm² part will have a TDP of 4-35W, with both versions of the Raven Ridge APUs being made on the 14nm FinFET process.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54721/amds-next-gen-apu-zen-cpu-cores-vega-gpu-hbm2/index.html

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

We can always overclock them so... What's the point?

No garbage Intel Z limitations. Mid tier boards can overlook!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No they still use old architecture, old as in not Zen.

There will be Zen APUs though and they sound fairly good, proof will be in the pudding though.

Edit:

Little bit more info from the link

APUs with Zen+Vega and HBM all on a single package.

Dis gon be gud.gif

Ye ole' train

The higher the stock clocks that will ship means the higher the TDP. 

2 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

This still doesn't give me confidence that they will have a SKU that can outperform a 7700k @5ghz for gaming.

It doesnt need to beat a 7700k at 5Ghz lol.

2 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

The higher the stock clocks that will ship means the higher the TDP. 

Not always the case. Their first engineering sample that they demoed did 3 GHz at probably a higher TDP since it was never getting to market at that clockspeed. Now we're up to 3.6 GHz at a 95W TDP.

Ye ole' train

9 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

i might also add that at 3.4ghz and no boost it was beating/on par w/ the 6900 , what will it do at 4ghz+??? 

who knows , i cant wait for benchmarks 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

if this is true and the TDP is the same man will upgrading to ryzen be that more satisfying cant wait 

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

3 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

It well not in very heavy single threaded games,  but if you look at the  benchmarks for the latest games you well find that they scale pretty well with 4+ cores

Ex: watchdogs 2, battlefield 1

Even Dragon Age Inquisition, a 2014 game, stresses my i7 6700K a lot, 40-70% CPU usage (On all threads). Games on Frostbite engine are well optimised.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Nice! I hope there are decent ITX boards so I can upgrade my i5 to either the 6c or 8c.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Nice! I hope there are decent ITX boards so I can upgrade my i5 to either the 6c or 8c.

I'm in this boat. 

ITX support is necessary. I remember a long time ago they said something about having no intention on supporting ITX. 

5 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

I'm in this boat. 

ITX support is necessary. I remember a long time ago they said something about having no intention on supporting ITX. 

This article (http://en.yibada.com/articles/173075/20161114/amd-zen-amd-naples-amd-cpu-amd-zen-cpu-amd-x86-zen.htm) showed an ITX board, most likely the ROG Crosshair Impact VI.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

25 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Yes it does need to beat the 7700k @5ghz. That is the best GAMING CPU today and I'm buying the best gaming CPU, not a media encoding CPU.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

Yes it does need to beat the 7700k @5ghz. That is the best GAMING CPU today and I'm buying the best gaming CPU, not a media encoding CPU.

So you're going for a $350 CPU even though the $150 competition which is also unlocked (assuming the 4c/8t Ryzen CPU is that, I'm going for a $180 price tag) performs at or 3 fps from that level.

???

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

I highly doubt it will beat a 7700k at 5 GHz. 

It will probably be within ~10% stock for stock (in gaming). 

Wont be better than my 4.7ghz 9590. More MHZ more power right?!

/s

Excited for a new amd cpu. that is all

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

5Ghz 7700K vs 4.5 GHz Ryzen stock for stock? More like within 5%.

Remember, there's this thing called price/performance. Intel isn't very good at that, not with a 4c/8t Ryzen CPU for under $180.

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

First off, we don't know how well Kaby Lake will overclock for the majority of consumers.

Second, it has identical IPC to Skylake so clock for clock Ryzen will be within 5%.

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So you're going for a $350 CPU even though the $150 competition which is also unlocked (assuming the 4c/8t Ryzen CPU is that, I'm going for a $180 price tag) performs at or 3 fps from that level.

???

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Remember, there's this thing called price/performance. Intel isn't very good at that, not with a 4c/8t Ryzen CPU for under $180.

I no longer give a fuck about price, that burnt me when GTA V bottlenecked on my 6600k. I'm getting the best.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

That wasn't the argument. Taking a comment out of context is a good way for it not being applicable to the context you're using it in. 

You have no idea either, so don't state it like it's fact. 

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

First off, we don't know how well Kaby Lake will overclock for the majority of consumers.

Second, it has identical IPC to Skylake so clock for clock Ryzen will be within 5%.

No it doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

No it doesn't. 

My comment on IPC was about Kaby Lake's IPC.

Every reviewer has determined that Kaby Lake's IPC is identical Sky Lake's.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/09/intel_kaby_lake_core_i77700k_ipc_review/6#.WG-s_hsrKUk

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Yes

But 4Ghz+ versions may slightly exceed originally planned 95 watt TDP... still more efficient than Intel though.

*Only at Blender and Handbrake. ;)

I'm exited for the other benchmark though!

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12