AMD ramping up Ryzen flagship clockspeeds as we move closer to launch

Humbug
On 1/7/2017 at 9:02 AM, Citadelen said:

It's takes Nvidia's boost to a whole new level, each individual portion of the chip can be dynamically overclocked by even just 1MHz; the chip will try and automatically squeeze as much performance out of the chip as possible depending on cooling provided, so I'd imagine the boost figures are the average boost attained by a number of chips with the stock cooler, which in this case it actually rather good.

Well we will have to see what it's like on the final retail chips.

55 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Well we will have to see what it's like on the final retail chips.

Correction to what @Citadelen said, AMD only claims 25Mhz increments not 1Mhz in case that difference is important for you.

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

-snip-

Yeah I realised that last night and edited my original post.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

On 1/6/2017 at 4:54 AM, DELTAprime said:

This still doesn't give me confidence that they will have a SKU that can outperform a 7700k @5ghz for gaming.

Depends on the game, most games don't do  16 threads

But it's definitely now the go-to choice for 3DMark Firestrike physics scores

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

has this posted here yet ? saw it on reddit /r/amd

Ryzen 8C/16T F4 3.6/4.0 Engineering Sample Over 95W At The Moment. 6C/12T Just About 65W

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On 1/7/2017 at 10:41 AM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

*8 core. The "leaked" pricing so far puts one of the two 8-core SKUs at $350, the same as a 7700K. 6-core placed at the price of a 7600K, and a true quad-core with SMT for like $160-$180. That gets you a measly i3 on the Intel side.

This pricing is so outside what would be good business sense that if it happens, I will sculpt a hat out of vegemite, then eat it on stream.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Energycore said:

This pricing is so outside what would be good business sense that if it happens, I will sculpt a hat out of vegemite, then eat it on stream.

Boy that's a though choice, AMD have a good product launch or watch you eat a life size hat made of vegemite. Top hat or baseball cap?

37 minutes ago, Energycore said:

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Boy that's a though choice, AMD have a good product launch or watch you eat a life size hat made of vegemite. Top hat or baseball cap?

Make it into a sombrero please.

But yeah, the pricing seems too good to be true if the performance is as high as AMD claims. AMD don't want to be known as the budget solution anymore, but at the same time, they must at least beat Intel in terms of price:performance.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This one

CHARRO-CH1-web-1000x800.jpg

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

they must at least beat Intel in terms of price:performance.

It'd be great if they beat'em but they only gotta match'em

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Yeah I'm in the boat of I would love to see AMD do the cheap prices that the "leak" suggest, but in reality they are a publicly traded company that has a legal responsibility to make money for its shareholders.

BTW: I decided to go with a Kaby Lake build because it's out now vs Ryzen that will be out some time before the 31st of March. Would have been nice to have a Ryzen release date announced at CES.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

2 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Yeah I'm in the boat of I would love to see AMD do the cheap prices that the "leak" suggest, but in reality they are a publicly traded company that has a legal responsibility to make money for its shareholders.

BTW: I decided to go with a Kaby Lake build because it's out now vs Ryzen that will be out some time before the 31st of March. Would have been nice to have a Ryzen release date announced at CES.

Join AMD Game Engineering team members for an introduction to the recently-launched AMD Ryzen CPU followed by advanced optimization topics. Learn about the Zen microarchitecture, power management, and CodeXL profiler. Gain insight into code optimization opportunities using hardware performance-monitoring counters. Examples may include assembly and C/C++.

Febraury launch it seems.

Source:

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

4 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

well forget about shareholders... AMD should not price too low as long as the performance is decent. They need to establish decent margins and make themselves more profitable as a business. As a company It's in their best long term interests to do so. And ours too as consumers, we want a healthy AMD.

with bulldozer they had no choice but to price low since they missed their performance targets.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

well forget about shareholders... AMD should not price too low as long as the performance is decent. They need to establish decent margins and make themselves more profitable as a business. As a company It's in their best long term interests to do so. And ours too as consumers, we want a healthy AMD.

with bulldozer they had no choice but to price low since they missed their performance targets.

they have an advantage, the missing igpu should mean ryzen could be cheaper because its probably smaller in die size.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they have an advantage, the missing igpu should mean ryzen could be cheaper because its probably smaller in die size.

They are also comparing it to Intel CPUs that don't have iGPUs too though.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

They are also comparing it to Intel CPUs that don't have iGPUs too though.

7700k and below have thats the important market :-)

and against x99 they have the advantage of simpler motherboards (no 4 channel memory).

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-06 at 0:44 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Forget it. Just forget it. You're not getting a 5GHz OC on all 4/6/8 cores ever, and if you do get it on at least one it won't be stable. Not on air, not on water.

On 2017-01-06 at 0:46 PM, Swatson said:

Oh you shouldnt have used that word, "ever". As soon as literally one person confirms it, i'll make sure to rub it in your face :P

http://mirror.ninja/5vixv8

someone will get it on air/water later :^)

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Also neat to know is that all Ryzen CPUs will be unlocked, but these are certainly nice base/boost clocks.

And this is the 8c/16t CPU. We'll probably see some higher boost clocks (4.1/4.2 or something) on the 6c/12t and 4c/8t Ryzen CPUs.

this is great, you just need a board that supports overclocking unlike intel with needs a board and a cpu.

this allows you to buy an overclocking board and a low end cpu, overclock it and them upgrade later.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´