Why do people pay to be at the bleeding edge for a non-esports gaming computer?

corrado33

I don't get it. Intel launches their new 7### series and this site is FLOODED with "Where can I buy i7-7###k" or "i7-7### vs i5-7###" or "7### vs 6###".

Not more than a week ago all of those 7s were replaced with 6s. Why pay the premium for a GAMING machine? Is your gaming significantly hindered by those 2-3 fps less? Is the game more "fun" with those 2-3 fps more?

Now, if you play competitive e-sports, I could see some sort of justification, but the vast majority of people don't. It doesn't make sense. 

I mean, everyone is pumped for AMDs new products, but is the performance increase (if there is one) worth it? A properly built gaming rig could easily last you at least 3 years, still playing at max or close to max settings on most new games. Much more if you upgrade the GPU down the line somewhere. 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't understand. 

Some people just like technology, building computers, and seeing in action how technical specifications and theory function in reality. Other people simply don't want to be held back from anything they enjoy. Others yet further participate in e-sports.

There are a lot of people in this world with a lot of reasons to do the things they do. Perhaps we don't always agree with these reasons or see the logic behind this rationale, but it exists nonetheless.

If you really sit back and contemplate anything you see on a daily basis, does any of it honestly make sense?

We just... Can. 

1. they want the newest

2. the encoding features that are added (4k via edge on netflix, h265 hardware decoder)

3. long term (maybe some people like to keep their computers for 4+ years? and they want it to be fast?)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

lots of people got money to burn. or want to keep up with the latest and greatest, if that meant entering the "early adoption" phase. 

If you play e-sport you don't need this because e-sport games are made so that they will run on potato.

You need this if you want 144Hz + in newest AAA games. 

I also bet that a lot of people are upgrading from a way older HW and waited for 7xxx release. Its not like people are upgrading from 6xxx or 4xxx.

Because they can. Simple.

because why the fuck not

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

not everyone that has a high end computer is doing it for gaming. that's like saying someone with a high end car can only do it for racing. i personally am a computer enthusiast and only do gaming on the side.

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

I bet you the lint in my pocket that a shit ton of the people bitching about the availability of these expensive products and where to buy them aren't actually going to buy them. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Where in my original post did I mention the word "money?"

Really?

Some people just like bleeding edge, and some people that are on Lynnfield, Bloomfield, Nehalem or whatever might just finally be at a breaking point.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wonders why people pay for high-end computers, but acknowledges that eSports are worth the high-end cost... 

#logic

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I don't get it. Intel launches their new 7### series and this site is FLOODED with "Where can I buy i7-7###k" or "i7-7### vs i5-7###" or "7### vs 6###".

Not more than a week ago all of those 7s were replaced with 6s. Why pay the premium for a GAMING machine? Is your gaming significantly hindered by those 2-3 fps less? Is the game more "fun" with those 2-3 fps more?

Now, if you play competitive e-sports, I could see some sort of justification, but the vast majority of people don't. It doesn't make sense. 

I mean, everyone is pumped for AMDs new products, but is the performance increase (if there is one) worth it? A properly built gaming rig could easily last you at least 3 years, still playing at max or close to max settings on most new games. Much more if you upgrade the GPU down the line somewhere. 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't understand. 

cuz every E-sport game ever requires 2 potatoes in order to play them. And even if you crank the graphis to max, it still isnt very good looking.

You buy stuff at the bleeding edge, to play games at teh bleeding edge.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Where in my original post did I mention the word "money?"

money  was obviously implied with

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

1 minute ago, beavo451 said:

Really?

You erected a strawman. I tore it down. I never mentioned money. This wasn't about money, it's about why people feel the need to always be at the bleeding edge even though the thing they have will work almost just as well as the thing they're getting. 

Aren't ESports actually usually very little demanding games? CS:GO, League of Legends... they all work just fine on weak machines, sure the machines on the championship will be good to output 144fps on 144mhz monitor most likely so nobody blames the machine but achieving that isn't hard my old GTX 560 Ti avaranged 130fps on CS:GO all maxed out no motion blur, the purpose of a very high end build is for AAA games filled with eye candy like The Witcher 3, no?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

A lot of people are building their first rig, or first proper gaming rig. So it makes sense that they're going to ask for the latest stuff. It's also generally the same price as the last generation stuff, so why wouldn't you get the newest tech?
For those that are upgrading, a lot of the time the new motherboards coming out have great features that they'll want to use. For example, the MSI motherboards and their shielded, cooled m.2 slots. I think they're great, and they hide ugly m2 drives.

I wouldn't upgrade every year, I usually upgrade every 3. However, I also don't play games that much, I usually buy 2 or 3 titles a year on PC. I mostly game on my Xbox.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

cuz every E-sport game ever requires 2 potatoes in order to play them. And even if you crank the graphis to max, it still isnt very good looking.

You buy stuff at the bleeding edge, to play games at teh bleeding edge.

What games available today require these new processors?

Why would I want to buy a 6th gen at the usually same price than a 7th gen? Maybe people are at that time where they want to upgrade. It's after the holidays and people might have gotten bonus or more money. Really it's just their opinion of what they want and I don't see why you should care.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

None, What Kaby Lake can do in terms of gaming, Skylake also can do. Provided that you have the right i3 ~ i5 ~ i7 for it obviously, I believe Watch Dogs 2 and The Witcher 3 are one of the most demanding games right now, one because its GORGEOUS and the other because Ubisoft sucks at optimizing xD

But for real, one thing you should understand is that Intel only manufactures current gen processors, it doesn't continue manufacturing older gens and manufactures as little as possible so the shops won't stock those either, the plan here IS indeed force the market to be always only selling brand new current generation processors, thus why if you decide to build a new PC here in 2 months per say you will most likely only find Kaby Lake on the Intel shelves.

If the last gen is all you can buy on the brand new market, then you'll buy it, it is not about necessity of the bleeding edge what so ever, whoever owns a Skylake SHOULD NOT bother with Kaby Lake right now at all, the performance gain is negligible, but who is buying a new PC any ways it makes no sense hunt for a Skylake processor either.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The WItcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, heavily modded Fallout 4, heavily modded Skyrim, Battlefield 1 multiplayer and most other AAA titles

I agree that for CPUs it doesn't make any sense to upgrade frequently. Gains from gen to gen are so small that even just ordering something from the shop seems like too much effort compared to what improvement you get :D 

But a lot of threads about new stuff is a normal thing, people want to talk about it, check what's new, maybe they are building new PCs. Nothing to grumble about.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

The WItcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, heavily modded Fallout 4, heavily modded Skyrim, Battlefield 1 multiplayer and most other AAA titles

You can run all of those on something like a 2600k or 2700k just fine lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)