Why do people pay to be at the bleeding edge for a non-esports gaming computer?

corrado33

I find it generally to be mostly about bragging rights and just because someone could afford it. In all my years of building and fixing my own computers, i have almost always been forced to get my help from the component store or by trial and errors. Forums tend to pat one on the head just because i don´t have the latest ultra-lazer edition super clocked titanium cheese card from space, but then i do tend to see that same clientele asking for help when their setup cannot run games i indeed can run on my old work horse.

I know " some " about getting a rig together, but i don´t feel ashamed in any way to ask for help. You cannot know it all 24/7 for every single component out there, and i am here because of Linus superb Youtube channel that guided me here when i was looking for just that.. help.

Me personally, i know i have fallen for the flashy light before or the "cool" sticker, but at the end of the day, i pay for my own toys and now i feel that performance beats a sticker at any time of the day. Sure, there are beautiful setups with glass and UV lights etc, but i would rather spend that extra cash on a good chair instead, or a better room light.

Individual choices i guess, and that´s fine...but i feel that´s ok as long as it does not cloud the judgment of people that knows not what to buy and follows the crowd of Yey sayers.

On 1/7/2017 at 10:24 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

I bought an AIO for my locked i5 a week after buying it.

Silly to most people

Day 0

100% load stock fan noise...omfg.

Day one.. moved to Hyper212.

60-70% Air cooled hyper 212 fan speeds. Still audible at load.

That week...

30-40% fan speeds on AIO.

Dont hear a thing now.

Diff strokes, Diff folks.

But people have their own reasoning half the time, ignoring advice given at times too.

With so many usage scenarios.. for many peoples hobbies/work there is no definitive answer except use case specifics.

I did the same tbqh... those stock fans were loud af... I'm not even care for a quiet pc but hearing that high whine from that fan was driving me insane.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

For myself, I have a passion for keeping up with the latest tech news and making sure I'm up to date on both technical and political news. It also helps me better understand how business is done by deeply analyzing AMD vs Intel.

So, for me, its for education.

I buy only the optimized performing parts for my budget at the time of buying them. Recently, I have been building entirely new computers for myself and my family. In four years I expect I'll be able to confidently buy a new CPU, GPU etc. to upgrade my rig and do so with far more knowledge of how prices bounce than I did when I was first building.

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

running a game just fine to some is completely maxed out at 100+ fps... to others it is runnning the game on low-med settings at 60 fps.... its all subjective.

Personally, my games aren't the most demanding (DayZ, h1z1) but ill be damned if they aren't maxed out.

My 3570K and 290x maxes out my 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor already in Rocket League, I'd imagine if this was not the case I'd be more antsy about updating. But I have had a long term plan about how I'm adding a Ryzen system to my dual motherboard case, and my current system will be put on game server hosting, video rendering and streaming duty when that happens.

It will also be a hardware internet filter to the Ryzen computer, whitelisting ONLY Steam to that computer, as it will be only for gaming and will run Windows 10.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

An old gaming buddy, 10 yrs my senior, had money to burn as he was well off, 1990-2005 was Doom FPS n Unreal Tourny glory days. Then came COD4 MP.

He would always use a lower res n details for higher fps (200-250)

His preference, opposed to mine,

Being UltraVHigh style with tweaked lower ground/scenery clutter if that was available in games.

Sticking to 50-70fps was my aim and pretty much still is.

We all vary. Our chemistry is different.

Its great.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz