Why do people pay to be at the bleeding edge for a non-esports gaming computer?

corrado33
4 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I highly doubt a 3770K would bottleneck a 1080 so badly that you'd see a "massive" improvement in Crysis 3.

when i tested the system with a 1440p 60hz monitor (no g sync) was getting about 60 average but under intensive loads would dip to about 50 with large amounts of screen tearing, everything the same but the updated mobo and cpu it averaged about 75 fps and dipped to about 60-65 under hard loads and the screen tearing was alot less intense. to me it made a massive improvement in the playability of the game. your doubt really has no bearing as i have the testing to prove my side.

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

On 1/5/2017 at 1:22 PM, corrado33 said:

Where in my original post did I mention the word "money?"

On 1/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, corrado33 said:

Not more than a week ago all of those 7s were replaced with 6s. Why pay the premium for a GAMING machine?

No, you didn't say the word "money". But we all know what you're getting at. Folks pay to play, whether its e-sports or not. The question is why do you care what anyone else pays for?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

People may be doing work and pleasure with their systems. I do a lot of game development work my self so it makes sense to have higher performance so I am wasting less time waiting for compiling or baking assets. Which ultimately pays off in the long run.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 1/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, corrado33 said:

I don't get it. Intel launches their new 7### series and this site is FLOODED with "Where can I buy i7-7###k" or "i7-7### vs i5-7###" or "7### vs 6###".

Not more than a week ago all of those 7s were replaced with 6s. Why pay the premium for a GAMING machine? Is your gaming significantly hindered by those 2-3 fps less? Is the game more "fun" with those 2-3 fps more?

Now, if you play competitive e-sports, I could see some sort of justification, but the vast majority of people don't. It doesn't make sense. 

I mean, everyone is pumped for AMDs new products, but is the performance increase (if there is one) worth it? A properly built gaming rig could easily last you at least 3 years, still playing at max or close to max settings on most new games. Much more if you upgrade the GPU down the line somewhere. 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't understand. 

You are spot on, unless a new product grants me SIGNIFICANTLY faster performance i don't buy it. As you can see on my BIO i still have a first gen I7 cos the newest 7xxx cpus aren't going to run my games much faster at all.

//   +-+-+ +-+-+-+                                       
//   |M|y| |R|i|g|                                       
//   +-+-+ +-+-+-+                                       
//   +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+                 
//   |I|7| |9|6|0| |a|t| |4|.|2|5|g|h|z|                 
//   +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+                 
//   +-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+                       
//   |N|v|i|d|i|a| |5|9|0| |S|L|I|                       
//   +-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+                       
//   +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+                   
//   |A|s|u|s| |S|a|b|r|e|t|o|o|t|h| |X|5|8|                 
//   +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+                   
//   +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+       
//   |2|4|G|B| |C|r|u|c|i|a|l| |T|r|a|c|e|r| |a|t| |1|8|6|6| |m|h|z|       
//   +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+       
//   +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+                       
//   |C|a|s|e| |C|o|r|s|a|i|r| |3|0|0|R|                       
//   +-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+                       
//   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ 
//   |E|n|e|r|m|a|x| |L|i|q|u|i|t|e|c|h| |I|I| |1|2|0|X| 
//   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+ +-+-+-+-+ 

11 hours ago, glunday said:

when i tested the system with a 1440p 60hz monitor (no g sync) was getting about 60 average but under intensive loads would dip to about 50 with large amounts of screen tearing, everything the same but the updated mobo and cpu it averaged about 75 fps and dipped to about 60-65 under hard loads and the screen tearing was alot less intense. to me it made a massive improvement in the playability of the game. your doubt really has no bearing as i have the testing to prove my side.

And again, under no circumstances should a DUAL CORE be outperforming a quad core that has hyperthreading. Something had to have been fucked up in that system for that to happen.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

And again, under no circumstances should a DUAL CORE be outperforming a quad core that has hyperthreading. Something had to have been fucked up in that system for that to happen.

where the hell are you getting a dual core from, i said he upgraded from a 3770k. i never said what cpu he had. he upgraded to a 6700k so you should probably read correctly or ask for more information before you start spewing stuff. and by the way a dual core CAN outperform a hyperthreaded quad core if it has better single core performance and the load is a single core intensive load.

2 hours ago, glunday said:

where the hell are you getting a dual core from, i said he upgraded from a 3770k. i never said what cpu he had. he upgraded to a 6700k so you should probably read correctly or ask for more information before you start spewing stuff. and by the way a dual core CAN outperform a hyperthreaded quad core if it has better single core performance and the load is a single core intensive load.

holyfuckingshit

My CPU is the dual core, and my CPU (again, the dual core in case you can't follow) outperforms his 3770K. There was a fucking problem with his PC for that to happen.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Its like saying Why spend money on a 1970 DODGE Charger, when you can buy a 2016 charger hellcat,. because people love it. okay.

58 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

holyfuckingshit

My CPU is the dual core, and my CPU (again, the dual core in case you can't follow) outperforms his 3770K. There was a fucking problem with his PC for that to happen.

how are you comparing the stats? do you run max everything at 1440p? because you said before your near max but that doesn't tell me anything. are you on a 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor because that makes a big difference. what settings are you actually running because on a game like crysis near max and max can have a big impact. so incase you didn't follow he had a much better gpu than yours removing that as a possible bottleneck, ran on max settings when you said you had "near" max settings and a 1440p monitor and im guessing you run a 1080p monitor. that means his system has to work alot harder than yours making the comparison alot more difficult. it's not just comparing different cpu's now is it? your comparing a different cpu a different gpu different settings and you haven't said what resolution but likely a different resolution and your acting like you're comparing two identical systems.

I bought an AIO for my locked i5 a week after buying it.

Silly to most people

Day 0

100% load stock fan noise...omfg.

Day one.. moved to Hyper212.

60-70% Air cooled hyper 212 fan speeds. Still audible at load.

That week...

30-40% fan speeds on AIO.

Dont hear a thing now.

Diff strokes, Diff folks.

But people have their own reasoning half the time, ignoring advice given at times too.

With so many usage scenarios.. for many peoples hobbies/work there is no definitive answer except use case specifics.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 1/5/2017 at 8:47 PM, Mooshi said:

The same reason people splurge on Platinum meme ram or grab a $100 aio for an i5--because reasons. 

AIO's make sense on the 6600K, being able to get a solid 4.6ghz overclock on it?

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

14 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I bought an AIO for my locked i5 a week after buying it.

Silly to most people

Day 0

100% load stock fan noise...omfg.

Day one.. moved to Hyper212.

60-70% Air cooled hyper 212 fan speeds. Still audible at load.

That week...

30-40% fan speeds on AIO.

Dont hear a thing now.

Diff strokes, Diff folks.

But people have their own reasoning half the time, ignoring advice given at times too.

With so many usage scenarios.. for many peoples hobbies/work there is no definitive answer except use case specifics.

when do you run at 100% load?

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

Well people do other things beside gaming if you know, and some people want there games to run nice or maybe it's a hobby for them.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

3 hours ago, glunday said:

how are you comparing the stats? do you run max everything at 1440p? because you said before your near max but that doesn't tell me anything. are you on a 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor because that makes a big difference. what settings are you actually running because on a game like crysis near max and max can have a big impact. so incase you didn't follow he had a much better gpu than yours removing that as a possible bottleneck, ran on max settings when you said you had "near" max settings and a 1440p monitor and im guessing you run a 1080p monitor. that means his system has to work alot harder than yours making the comparison alot more difficult. it's not just comparing different cpu's now is it? your comparing a different cpu a different gpu different settings and you haven't said what resolution but likely a different resolution and your acting like you're comparing two identical systems.

At 1080p I turn everything all the way up other than AA, and at 1440p everything is fine at straight up high, and at that setting my 7950 is the limiting factor and my CPU has a fair amount of oompfh left (anywhere from 10-30%, depending on scene).

So yeah, if we're talking identical settings, there's still something fucked up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

On 1/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, corrado33 said:

I don't get it. Intel launches their new 7### series and this site is FLOODED with "Where can I buy i7-7###k" or "i7-7### vs i5-7###" or "7### vs 6###".

Not more than a week ago all of those 7s were replaced with 6s. Why pay the premium for a GAMING machine? Is your gaming significantly hindered by those 2-3 fps less? Is the game more "fun" with those 2-3 fps more?

Now, if you play competitive e-sports, I could see some sort of justification, but the vast majority of people don't. It doesn't make sense. 

I mean, everyone is pumped for AMDs new products, but is the performance increase (if there is one) worth it? A properly built gaming rig could easily last you at least 3 years, still playing at max or close to max settings on most new games. Much more if you upgrade the GPU down the line somewhere. 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't understand. 

My tactic is to build a TOTL or near TOTL machine every 5 years or so. My current machine is 3 years old and going strong (i7-4770k and 2 gtx-760ti). 

IMO you should build the nicest machine you can afford to build when you are building it, and then only replace it when it can no longer play the games that you like in any usable way.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, Coldfuson said:

when do you run at 100% load?

Pretty much everyday for an hour or so encoding.

But even some games are using 70-90%+ of Quadcores without HT, causing some high temps on crappy cooling.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 1/5/2017 at 9:22 PM, Kloaked said:

I bet you the lint in my pocket that a shit ton of the people bitching about the availability of these expensive products and where to buy them aren't actually going to buy them. 

I like to compare things.

21 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

At 1080p I turn everything all the way up other than AA, and at 1440p everything is fine at straight up high, and at that setting my 7950 is the limiting factor and my CPU has a fair amount of oompfh left (anywhere from 10-30%, depending on scene).

So yeah, if we're talking identical settings, there's still something fucked up.

your running without everything all the way turned up, the test was done with literally everything turned to its maximum, and with a gtx 1080 so having the limiting factor of the 7950 wasent there. you dont seem to understand that THERE NOT IDENTICAL SETTINGS. with everything 100% turned all the way up it takes quite a bit more power. again HIGH and EVERYTHING MAXED OUT are not the same thing. the 8x MSAA setting alone introduces enough of a performance hit that high end graphics cards  get bogged down. 

• 1440p
  • maximum in every setting not just max in 1080p and not just high in 1440p
  • 8x MSAA
  • higher end graphics card removing your 7950 as a limit for the graphics

until you show numbers and testing with the 100% exact same settings including MSAA on a 1440p monitor what your saying is meaningless.

13 hours ago, glunday said:

your running without everything all the way turned up, the test was done with literally everything turned to its maximum, and with a gtx 1080 so having the limiting factor of the 7950 wasent there. you dont seem to understand that THERE NOT IDENTICAL SETTINGS. with everything 100% turned all the way up it takes quite a bit more power. again HIGH and EVERYTHING MAXED OUT are not the same thing. the 8x MSAA setting alone introduces enough of a performance hit that high end graphics cards  get bogged down. 

• 1440p
  • maximum in every setting not just max in 1080p and not just high in 1440p
  • 8x MSAA
  • higher end graphics card removing your 7950 as a limit for the graphics

until you show numbers and testing with the 100% exact same settings including MSAA on a 1440p monitor what your saying is meaningless.

Christ almighty, you're one of those weirdos that get their panties all in a twist if someone online even ATTEMPTS to counter their argument, aren'tcha?

Every post of yours makes me lol, so I'm just gonna lol my way outta this since I have better things to do with my time (you know, things that don't involve some asshat getting all bent over someone on the internet who disagrees with their stance on something).

Hell, go ahead and block me if you feel like it because I honestly can't be bothered to give any shits of someone online that I don't even know blocks me. Sure as hell would make my day lmao

f3c.gif

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

8 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Christ almighty, you're one of those weirdos that get their panties all in a twist if someone online even ATTEMPTS to counter their argument, aren'tcha?

Every post of yours makes me lol, so I'm just gonna lol my way outta this since I have better things to do with my time (you know, things that don't involve some asshat getting all bent over someone on the internet who disagrees with their stance on something).

Hell, go ahead and block me if you feel like it because I honestly can't be bothered to give any shits of someone online that I don't even know blocks me. Sure as hell would make my day lmao

f3c.gif

im fine with someone countering my argument if they give out good information and take the time to actually understand the argument, which you clearly haven't. i have backed up everything i have said and your only counter is "my settings are close and i dont have that happen, so your friends pc had something wrong with it". what im not fine with is people talking shit when they clearly dont know what they are talking about, making arguments from assumptions without any data to support their side, as with our argument. and im not going to block you because im not a petty asshole but the fact that you brought it up leads me to assume you want me to so you dont have to have your side challenged.

On 6.1.2017 at 1:43 PM, Abdul201588 said:

A game that can and could be played on a 5 year old PC. Yet they want to spend £900. I refused said it's a waste of money. £450 will do more than enough. 

But if the kid suddenly wants to play more then minecraft? I mean they will sure complain that they wanted a better pc

I personally upgrade every 5-7 years, so I like to spend a lot of money to get a high-end system that will satisfy my needs for that time.

Because you gotta live life fab you know /s 

Its just like owning a Rolex, or a Lambo. You know you own one of the best of the best

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

9 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

But if the kid suddenly wants to play more then minecraft? I mean they will sure complain that they wanted a better pc

That's all he plays. He never had a PC, he had a Dell laptop. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 hours ago, glunday said:

im not going to block you because im not a petty asshole but the fact that you brought it up leads me to assume you want me to so you dont have to have your side challenged.

I just like seeing a random guy online get his panties wedged 8 inches deep in his asshole over trivial shit like this lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler