Your First Pc Problems

JvTran

hey guys
so i'm working on my senior thesis, and its going to be about pc building, so i need a quick survey or answer to this question

What was the most difficult part on building your first computer, was it research, finding parts, or what things did, or something else?

When i was installing my H55 (first cooler i'd installed myself) it has a ring kinda thing that goes over the pump/block which you then put the screws through to attach it to the motherboard, its meant to simply clip onto the block, it took me about 10-15 minutes to get it to "clip on" like it should, really tested my patience and I nearly gave up on even installing it.

Then another 5 minutes trying to get the radiator and fan screw holes to line up. It wasn't a pleasant first time.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

hardest part for me was finding part, researching old hardware if tey would work and power supply i was so afraid i would die if i hooked up the wrong thing. when i was building my first pc, i was 11 year old. 

Mainly software. Getting games to work sometimes is very difficult or figuring out which driver version works best with the specific task you want to do. 

If you just meant just building then I guess originally it was researching for part. I hadn't known anything about pcs before and learning about every little thing about each and every component was both pretty difficult but it was also really fun. Built my first pc at 14 

I started with basically no knowledge of PC parts and spent about a month and a half forcing everything on the internet about PC's into my brain (now people come to me as the final word on parts XD). 

So yeah, researching what parts do what, FPS benches, putting together a compatible build with semi decent parts.

Was great fun though and I learnt a lot

That's an F in the profile pic

5 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Mainly software. Getting games to work sometimes is very difficult or figuring out which driver version works best with the specific task you want to do. 

If you just meant just building then I guess originally it was researching for part. I hadn't known anything about pcs before and learning about every little thing about each and every component was both pretty difficult but it was also really fun. Built my first pc at 14 

Wolthers bottom paragraph basically describes me

That's an F in the profile pic

I can't really recall the biggest difficulty I had when I began but I can share my biggest oldest scare that I still remember. Back when the FX-8150 was brand new on the market I bought it thinking I was going to put it in my ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3.0 motherboard. I didn't know the difference between the sockets AM3 & AM3+. Even though the CPU physically fit inside the socket the system did nothing. I thought the chip was DOA so I got it replaced. Put the new chip in, still nothing. Power button did nothing. I freaked put my old chip back in (AMD Phenom II B55) system booted fine. I realized the CPU wasn't compatible and I stared at it for MONTHS in my bedroom on my desk until I finally purchased a board that I knew was AM3+ compatible (ASRock 990FX Extreme4). I suppose this falls under the category of Compatibility when it comes to Difficulty.

37 minutes ago, JvTran said:

What was the most difficult part on building your first computer, was it research, finding parts, or what things did, or something else?

I found the act of researching compatible parts that make a good build, and then initially assembling them to be quite enjoyable. The main problem that I had was that after I assembled the build in the case, one of the front panel wires had shorted with the case. Luckily, my power supply had a circuit breaker which, with a loud POP!, flipped when I turned the computer on. The difficulty in finding the issue was exacerbated by the fact that I dropped a screw onto the motherboard while assembling the machine in the case. I ended up having to take the build to a PC repair company. It is always tough to do such things, but I actually ended up getting a job out of it.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

38 minutes ago, JvTran said:

hey guys
so i'm working on my senior thesis, and its going to be about pc building, so i need a quick survey or answer to this question

For me.  Cable management.  I had no idea that the cutout in the motherboard tray top-left was for the EPS power to the CPU.  Likewise the holes on the right for the 24-pin cable.  Nevermind that the order you put cables in matters a lot to the final product.  7 builds later, I'm a friggin expert.

Also, my first build was AM3+ with a AIO liquid cooler.  and my motherboard tray CPU cutout cut off the bottom half of the mounting holes for AM3+ sockets, so I had to take the motherboard out to mount the cooler and then put it back.  Now, i put the cooler on, THEN, mount the motherboard in the case lol

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

I broke the fan clips on my A50 CPU cooler because I mounted it on the wrong side. It's now held on the heatsink with cable ties.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, JvTran said:

hey guys

Two things:

1) Getting enough money to be able to afford parts.  I started building PCs in the early 2000s when parts were less readily available and *much* more expensive, so on top of bills and loans it was difficult to fund a complete gaming build.  In fact, my first build never got finished because I got either a MB or CPU that was DoA and the company wouldn't replace it because I couldn't afford all the parts at one time and didn't find out until a couple months later when I had the capability to test it.

2) Other than installing thermal compound for an aftermarket cooler the physical build wasn't too rough, but configuring everything (bios, memory, overclock, etc) was pretty brutal.  There weren't large/popular forums or guides and Youtube tutorials didn't exist so you were pretty much on your own.  Not to mention most people were still buying Dells and pre-built machines so the number of people in the community itself was a fraction of what it is today.

Bonus: dip switches and jumper settings on motherboards and drives was annoying.  My first pre-built computer wouldn't post out of the box because of that, took a several hour phone call to tech support to figure out it was the stupid jumpers being on the wrong pins...

Too small (physically) ATX board. With larger hands it was really annoying to build or change anything. Also I learned not to get case with plastic PCI locks. The mobo ended having other issues like really buggy BIOS and very weak OC capability.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

going all granddad on you here my first PC I had to use a parts catalog to find them that was hell. also back then pics didn't go together nearly as nice as they do now im one of those people that really appreciates things like captive thumb screws and tool-less HDD caddies that you get in most cases these days 

I lurk a lot

To this day I still haven't cable managed my PC to the point where it doesn't take 3 people to close the side panel.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I had a faulty GPU and I had to learn to troubleshoot a PC. Overall a great lerning experience.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Building the PC myself without help. I got everything in and ready to go but it wouldn't power up. Turns out I missed a power connection.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I loved doing research and buying parts. My issue is I'm too flip floppy about getting a graphics card and still haven't gotten one. Also it was a pain in the ass to wire my Corsair rm750i in the case I bought. The wires had to be attached in a really specific way for the cabling to be effective. I still ended up just pushing all the wires in and quickly shutting the back, can't really tell from the side window though xD

I did mess up one thing. I didn't read the instructions on my wifi/bluetooth card and it actually needed to be plugged into a usb spot for the bluetooth feature to work, I had to reopen my case and plug that in, now I have 2 unusable usb 2.0 ports on my computer because I ran out of usb headers on the mobo. 

Hello Guys.. I believe im in the right place.

I have a certain PC Not the Most Glorious,

HP 280 G2 MT 

Specs: i7-6700, 8gb-ddr4 RAM,  (Good enough for me)

Now.. I need a GTX 1080... I need advise on which 1080 will

1. Fit

2. Work

3. Work and Fit.

Please be very, very, very, very, very, SURE. 

Lives at stake..

if you can provide evidence. that would even be better

Troubleshooting when something goes wrong. My first PC came with a dud power supply that was to replace the one that came in the case, but I didn't bother RMA it because I found out if I used the one that came with the case and plugged in other power supply in another connector on the motherboard, it magically worked.

The only thing that really scares me these days when building is installing the CPU. It's trivial to screw up and mangle a pin, ruining either your motherboard or processor, or both.

Trying to get my old agp nvida card to work back in the day.... god that was a head ache

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

(I hope this thread is still relevant with your survey)

Cable management, and configuring RAM frequencies.. Apparently, that's important to do *Facepalm to my younger self*. Got flashed with the Windows "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" error, usually stemming from unstable sticks or pairs with differing clock speeds. After fixing this, I haven't had Windows crash on me ever again...... With the same error ;)

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

23 hours ago, JvTran said:

hey guys

Your average PC build guide doesn't always mention stand offs. I never heard of using them before, and I tossed them in the extra hardware pile. It took me two days to figure out why the computer ran just fine on top of the motherboard box, but wouldn't post while i had it in the case. Man I am glad I didn't toast my board. 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

2 hours ago, Robokim said:

Hello Guys.. I believe im in the right place.

You're not in the right place, sorry m8. 

go here -> https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/6-general-discussion/ and hit start a new thread. 
though fitting any 1080 may be an issue. Zotac just announced the smallest available on the market, taking up 2 slots and measuring something just under 8.5 inches long. I would take a measuring tape from the back of the case and see if that one will fit. If it doesn't you'll need to look into a different card for sure. The other thing is, I'm not certain that the PSU in that build will be able to power a  1080 so keep that in mind. Not sure what it shipped with, and not sure about it delivering the rated power. 

-Cold

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

Probably plugging in all the little wires for case power + restart buttons, lights etc. They're not labeled very clearly, and you always have to consult the mobo manual as well as the case manual to figure it out. It's usually the only step in the whole process that I need the manual for.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)