Your First Pc Problems

JvTran

The most difficult part was research, there are so many options out there and I did make a few poor purchases but I learnt from my mistakes and I now know what to buy and what to look for when shopping for computer parts. I also spent hours reading forums and watching tutorials (LTT 2014 build guide) to really know what I was doing. Getting a large case and a high end motherboard made the whole building process easy as debugging was super simple and the motherboard had all the features I could ever need.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

11 hours ago, ZimFreak said:

Probably plugging in all the little wires for case power + restart buttons, lights etc. They're not labeled very clearly, and you always have to consult the mobo manual as well as the case manual to figure it out. It's usually the only step in the whole process that I need the manual for.

i was so lucky, the last 2 builds I did included a separate brick with the pins clearly labeled so you could pull out the pins, put them on the brick in the light, and then just line it up on the pins on the motherboard just like a USB header. 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

The most difficult part of mine was waiting for the deals to come around.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

14 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Troubleshooting when something goes wrong. My first PC came with a dud power supply that was to replace the one that came in the case, but I didn't bother RMA it because I found out if I used the one that came with the case and plugged in other power supply in another connector on the motherboard, it magically worked.

The only thing that really scares me these days when building is installing the CPU. It's trivial to screw up and mangle a pin, ruining either your motherboard or processor, or both.

14 hours ago, AngryFishLady said:

Plugging the CPU in. When you have to push hard against the motherboard for the pins to click but are scared to break anything... fun times.

This question is for both of you:

Is installing a CPU really that tricky and is it potentially that easily damaged?

I'd swapped the stock Intel CPU cooler that came on my 6700K (was originally a prebuilt as I've said before in other posts) and even removed the new C7 cooler a second time to redo the thermal compound application and managed not to mess up the CPU or MB.   I also installed a G3258 in my secondary desktop and another 6700K in the Usagi build I did for my friend all without any damage so far as I know.  I just set the CPU in the MB socket, closed the metal cover thing, and put the CPU cooler on.  

I didn't think anything of it at the time but with what you're saying about CPUs I'm wondering was I just lucky or something that I didn't break a CPU or mb socket?

Another thing is I've only dealt with a few Intel CPUs, are AMD CPUs easier to damage?

I know they use a different socket design but idk how it compares to Intel in terms of fragility.  

20 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

This question is for both of you:

Is installing a CPU really that tricky and is it potentially that easily damaged?

I'd swapped the stock Intel CPU cooler that came on my 6700K (was originally a prebuilt as I've said before in other posts) and even removed the new C7 cooler a second time to redo the thermal compound application and managed not to mess up the CPU or MB.   I also installed a G3258 in my secondary desktop and another 6700K in the Usagi build I did for my friend all without any damage so far as I know.  I just set the CPU in the MB socket, closed the metal cover thing, and put the CPU cooler on.  

I didn't think anything of it at the time but with what you're saying about CPUs I'm wondering was I just lucky or something that I didn't break a CPU or mb socket?

Another thing is I've only dealt with a few Intel CPUs, are AMD CPUs easier to damage?

I know they use a different socket design but idk how it compares to Intel in terms of fragility.  

It's not tricky, but you're dealing with pins/contacts that are under a milometer thin. So it takes a trivial amount of effort to break something.

For me personally, the hardest part on my first build was overcoming the fear that I would break all the components while assembling the PC.

ᴬᶫᶫ ᴴᵉᶦᶫ ᴬᴹᴰ

On 1/6/2017 at 9:52 AM, Robokim said:

Hello Guys.. I believe im in the right place.

I have a certain PC Not the Most Glorious,

HP 280 G2 MT 

Specs: i7-6700, 8gb-ddr4 RAM,  (Good enough for me)

Now.. I need a GTX 1080... I need advise on which 1080 will

1. Fit

2. Work

3. Work and Fit.

Please be very, very, very, very, very, SURE. 

Lives at stake..

if you can provide evidence. that would even be better

you're not in the right place, sorry haha
here we are stating our personal experiences on our first builds, not a troubleshooting thread

Was building an AMD Athlon XP computer, clipping that CPU cooler block to the motherboard I felt like I was going to snap the flipping motherboard!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

i built it in like 30 minutes, but then it wouldn't boot, and it took me a couple hours to troubleshoot, but all it was was a bad wifi card. i jus had to take everything out one piece at a time, and try booting.

I forgot cpu 4pin. When I had figured that out I found out that GPUs also need power :$

For me the most difficult part of my first PC build, or rebuild in my case since I was upgrading a prebuilt I'd bought, was not having all the proper tools and screws before I started.

This of course greatly slowed down the work.  What could've been done in a few hours at most took me 3 days.  ?

I started on Thursday evening taking it apart.  I started by replacing the PSU with the new one I'd gotten before moving my 6700K and CPU cooler to my new motherboard and had to stop there for the night because I discovered I didn't have enough motherboard standoff screws since I was going from a mATX mb to a ATX mb.  I also didn't have a nut driver to turn the hex shaped motherboard standoff screws.  

So the next day I was able to get some from a local computer repair shop along with a nut driver from a hardware store and installed the new mb in my case.  Then when I was about to put the SSDs and HDD in the case I realized I didn't have any screws for the drive bays to secure the drives with.  Unfortunately it was too late to go to the computer repair shop to get the needed screws so for a second time I was forced to stop for the day.

Finally on Saturday I was able to get the drive bay screws and finish the reassembly.  

So 3 days instead of a few hours.  I'm sure it's easy to guess how stressed I was after all that and relieved that it worked when I turned it on after I was done.  

Not too bad I'd say considering I'd never worked on a computer before.  ?

Edit: forgot to mention I'd also replaced my RAM.  

Edited by Bleedingyamato

First problem was the fact that my MB had the wrong BIOS installed and my PC and wasn't posting at all. Second thing I think all new users get scared with are Blue Screen Errors. Those were real nightmares with Win7.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

11 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

First problem was the fact that my MB had the wrong BIOS installed and my PC and wasn't posting at all. Second thing I think all new users get scared with are Blue Screen Errors. Those were real nightmares with Win7.

I got some of those when I tried to enable XMP on my new RAM last spring.  With a few key presses my computer was not happy.  lol

14 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

The most difficult part of mine was waiting for the deals to come around.

Do you think this is a common problem that some people might take into consideration? I'm sure this doesn't only apply to budget-oriented gamers and PC builders like myself, right? That was another problem for me also, specially regarding my CPU :/

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

4 hours ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Do you think this is a common problem that some people might take into consideration? I'm sure this doesn't only apply to budget-oriented gamers and PC builders like myself, right? That was another problem for me also, specially regarding my CPU :/

Certainly. Hell, I've been watching the 275GB MX300 (M.2 variant) for quite a while, and even though it jumped nearly 20 dollars in price I'm still going to get it even though I should be getting other things with that money.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Actually no, I built my first computer watching LinusTechTips videos from (~2011) and read the motherboard, CPU and case manuals thoroughly and had absolutely no problem at all.. I did build it all in the base instead of attaching everything to the motherboard beforehand, but that just seemed better to be at the time, and I couldn't be bothered removing it to make my life easier later. The only mistake I made was not getting a modular PSU...

Fucking clock speed dip switches on a pii board I neither had the manual or the internet for. Finally took the motherboard out of the case to sell it, and found the settings printed on the back of the board, still curse Asus for that one.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige