AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sorry, didn't feel like reading though over 150 replies.

Seems like you're right. For DX11 they are very even. Both cards win a few games, lose in some, and are even in the rest.

AdoredTV is one of the biggest AMD fanboys I have ever seen. How anyone trusts anything he says is beyond me. I will gladly look at other reviews showing the same results though.

The 18% improvement HardwareCanucks got sounds way more reasonable than 40%.

When one reviewer sees an 18% improvement, and someone else claims 40%, then something fishy is going on (and my guess is that AdoredTV is the one being deliberately misleading).

I find AdoredTV generally presents very thorough analysis.  While a lot of his content is based on AMD, I don't think fanboy is an accurate description.  

As I said, the % increase varies depending what part of the game you are using because there is no built in benchmark run.  I did a quick check at other sites and it seems most are around 30%.  HWC and AdoredTV are both outliers compared to the sites below:

GamerNexus 30% increase

PC Gamer 30% increase

EuroGamer 29% increase

30% increase is a pretty massive increase just from using a different API !!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

AMD-Vega-architecture-1000x505.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I really wish AMD Didn't spend 3/5ths their income on their advertisements. 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

12 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

-snip-

Ah okay.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

16 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Hate on SLI is mostly justified but it also depends on the games you play. At most your only going to get 50% increase and that's the best case scenario. Some games become unplayable with SLI....Cough cough dues ex mankind divided. In my experience most games see a Meh improvement with SLI and very few get the full 50% increase. It's always better to just buy a card from next gen then to double up. A trend with Nvidia is that their xx70 cards usually pack the same punch as last year's Titan model. Seen it with the 970 and with the 1070 and Volta will be more of the same if not slightly better.

I Was Playing Dues Ex Other Day Unplayable Without Sli. Getting 30fps with 980ti or 45 with sli. Had to turn gsync on too. Still pretty borderline.l

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

50 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

-snip-

They don't...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 hour ago, niofalpha said:

I really wish AMD Didn't spend 3/5ths their income on their advertisements. 

They only advertise on their social media accounts.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

The text layout on that actually makes it horrible to read, well more annoying but still. Where did you get that from btw? All the ones I've seen of that are grey backgrounds and even worse to read.

1 hour ago, kiwibacon said:

I Was Playing Dues Ex Other Day Unplayable Without Sli. Getting 30fps with 980ti or 45 with sli. Had to turn gsync on too. Still pretty borderline.l

Exactly what I was talking about

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

7 hours ago, App4that said:

So where is the reason to resort to personal attacks, if you have an argument? Seems to me mate you're the one making assumptions based off beliefs. 

What you're doing is saying manual transmission cars aren't worth it, because you never learned to drive one. 

Except I have had sli more then three different times from both companies. You fail to grasp this. If anyone is more experienced with sli it is me based on the number sli and crossfire configs I have. I have seen the difference first hand and bench marked in the past to get real world sli numbers. Most of the time the performance in most games wasnt even 50% increase in performance being somewhere around the 30% mark. You also ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence from other sli users and fail to even google dues ex sli issues. You are speaking non sense and your fanboyism is showing.

I dont know how you think your in the right when Linus someone who is more experienced then you or me with sli even says that a single more powerful card is better then a sli setup. Please educate yourself a little more before trying to defend something your making yourself look bad.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The text layout on that actually makes it horrible to read, well more annoying but still. Where did you get that from btw? All the ones I've seen of that are grey backgrounds and even worse to read.

From here

http://videocardz.com/65288/amd-vega-architectural-upgrades-revealed

And... this was in the comment section

"May the Radeon be with you... lmfao"

lolol23.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Except I have had sli more then three different times from both companies. You fail to grasp this. If anyone is more experienced with sli it is me based on the number sli and crossfire configs I have. I have seen the difference first hand and bench marked in the past to get real world sli numbers. Most of the time the performance in most games wasnt even 50% increase in performance being somewhere around the 30% mark. You also ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence from other sli users and fail to even google dues ex sli issues. You are speaking non sense and your fanboyism is showing.

I dont know how you think your in the right when Linus someone who is more experienced then you or me with sli even says that a single more powerful card is better then a sli setup. Please educate yourself a little more before trying to defend something your making yourself look bad.

And you're proving why you're on this forum...

Remember Linus also said RAM speed doesn't matter in gaming, and depending on the game it's been proven to. Linus is a salesman,  not a bad thing just how it is.

SLI works. I get way over 50% scaling in most my games. I get over 50% scaling in Deus Ex, the game YOU said had problems. Further evidence the problem is you, not SLI.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

Remember Linus also said RAM speed doesn't matter in gaming, and depending on the game it's been proven to. Linus is a salesman,  not a bad thing just how it is.

SLI works. I get way over 50% scaling in most my games. I get over 50% scaling in Deus Ex, the game YOU said had problems. Further evidence the problem is you, not SLI.

RAM speed does matter if you have a CPU bottleneck. Just look at how much an i3 6100 improves with fast kits of DDR4 over standard kits. And its also the same for DDR2 with older Core 2 uads (though with that you need a motherboard that isn't finicky AF the way my P5 Deluxe is-you need memory off the ualified vendors list to run 4 sticks of DDR2 1066 or higher regardless of the timings), with DDR2 1066 5-6-6-16 providing a noticeable reduction in stuttering (as well as increased bandwidth over DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, there is also significantly decreased latency).

And if only SLI scaling with Nvidia's current cards was as good as it was with the Voodoo2-you get extremely close to double the frame rates with Voodoo2 in SLI.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

20 minutes ago, App4that said:

If he's a salesman then he wouldn't be for buying multiple cards not against it. Me thinks you don't know how math works if you think your getting a more then 50% in most games with SLI. You believing that makes me laugh never in my years of owning two Titan blacks, Titan X, 1080, and the r9 295x2 with a 4970K have I ever gotten more then in the 50% range. Please troll somewhere else and learn basic math and percentages.

5 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

I find AdoredTV generally presents very thorough analysis.  While a lot of his content is based on AMD, I don't think fanboy is an accurate description.  

hmmm ya adoredTV may choose to do more AMD coverage, and I think at this point that's what his viewership too wants from him. But he doesn't lie or deliberately mislead which is what matters... He seems to dispense some useful information.

5 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

If he's a salesman then he wouldn't be for buying multiple cards not against it. Me thinks you don't know how math works if you think your getting a more then 50% in most games with SLI. You believing that makes me laugh never in my years of owning two Titan blacks, Titan X, 1080, and the r9 295x2 with a 4970K have I ever gotten more then in the 50% range. Please troll somewhere else and learn basic math and percentages.

It all depends on the:

• Driver version
  • How well the game is optimised by the devs for SLI or Crossfire (the majorityt barely optimise at all
  • The motherboard+chipset
  • The generation of the PCIe slots, and the number of PCIe lanes if your using Crossfire
  • The CPU your using

SLI and Crossfire scaling is very much dependant on the individual person's rig. You obviously are one of those who's only had grief from multi GPU setups.

PMSL

Turns out that the majority of Voodoo2 SLI benchmarks were done on sub 400MHz CPU, not a 1.2GHz Pentium III. *sigh* So not many people have seen the full potential (though Glide is far better on weak CPU than OpenGL and DirectX ever have been-shifting to glide reduces bottlenecks)

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

So you can't even post a link to a site? Lol that requires a quick Google search if you want I'll post SLI benchmarks and we can see if they have your magic 60-80% fps boosts

I'll be blunt-I think we need to see higher bandwidth (and also dedicated) communication between graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire as well as far stronger CPU (which is a long time away)..

PMSL

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's enough, has nothing to do with Vega release.

But I had a lengthy wall of text+reliable data that would have ended the discussion :(

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

But I had a lengthy wall of text+reliable data that would have ended the discussion :(

As much as I'd actually like to see that, as a crossfire user myself, best put somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

As much as I'd actually like to see that, as a crossfire user myself, best put somewhere else.

I have now-my status updates (and looking up X model card+SLI/crossfire review is all that's needed)

Edit: Well, I moved part of it.

PMSL

@App4that @Dabombinable

After looking at your status update I admit I was wrong and thank you for not only providing proof for your argument but also giving a good read on the subject.

Getting back on topic I think AMD shot themselves in the foot. They put themselves in a place where they either have to match performance for less money or have a good bump in performance more then Nvidia's offerings at the same price to win over Nvidia's already established market share of the high end GPU market.

On 02/01/2017 at 1:00 PM, EOZ said:

I wish all the best to AMD Vega but reality is reality i think GTX 1080Ti (GDDR5X) will easily knockout AMD Vega GPU with (HBM2) Memory.

b0Lqr.gif

there's no way to tell until benchmarks, it's a new architecture.

3 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

@App4that @Dabombinable

After looking at your status update I admit I was wrong and thank you for not only providing proof for your argument but also giving a good read on the subject.

Getting back on topic I think AMD shot themselves in the foot. They put themselves in a place where they either have to match performance for less money or have a good bump in performance more then Nvidia's offerings at the same price to win over Nvidia's already established market share of the high end GPU market.

The new architecture would allow AMD's GPUs to perform much closer to its TFLOPs number. If we were in a situation where TFLOPs equals a given fps a Fury X would beat a GTX1080 (8.6 TFLOPs vs 8.2 TFLOPs). From what I've read left and right (including in that Reddit thread which has some really genuinely interesting posts by people who know their stuff) the new NCU architecture will do just that. Right now only compute applications benefit from AMD's higher TFLOPs count. AMD wants games to do that to.

AMD won't put a poster in an advertisement for Vega that says Poor Volta if they knew Vega would only match or slightly exceed Pascal. They want to turn the tide around where nVidia plays catchup to AMD rather than the opposite.

Ye ole' train