AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
29 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

AMD won't put a poster in an advertisement for Vega that says Poor Volta if they knew Vega would only match or slightly exceed Pascal. They want to turn the tide around where nVidia plays catchup to AMD rather than the opposite.

While this may be true it's possible that AMD will just launch Vega 10 now and keep the more powerful Vega 11 back for a few months.

Also in 2018 that have their new Navi architecture coming to fight Nvidia's 2018 Volta architecture. So I am a bit confused about why they feel the need to talk about Volta now...

*Sega intro*

VEEEEEEGAA   

Thank you to OP for now never being able to see that word without singing that in my head :D

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The new architecture would allow AMD's GPUs to perform much closer to its TFLOPs number. If we were in a situation where TFLOPs equals a given fps a Fury X would beat a GTX1080 (8.6 TFLOPs vs 8.2 TFLOPs). From what I've read left and right (including in that Reddit thread which has some really genuinely interesting posts by people who know their stuff) the new NCU architecture will do just that. Right now only compute applications benefit from AMD's higher TFLOPs count. AMD wants games to do that to.

AMD won't put a poster in an advertisement for Vega that says Poor Volta if they knew Vega would only match or slightly exceed Pascal. They want to turn the tide around where nVidia plays catchup to AMD rather than the opposite.

I am sorry to say that probably won't happen the new simd will probably just help with power efficiency and the new scheduler would have to be very good indeed. A vega fury sized chip will probably beat the 1080 but i don't know if it will be by enough margin to keep up with the 1080ti. They need to get those clocks up.

1 hour ago, Zangashtu said:

*Sega intro*

VEEEEEEGAA   

Thank you to OP for now never being able to see that word without singing that in my head :D

Speaking of SEGA, Vega be looking at Volta all like:

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

While this may be true it's possible that AMD will just launch Vega 10 now and keep the more powerful Vega 11 back for a few months.

Also in 2018 that have their new Navi architecture coming to fight Nvidia's 2018 Volta architecture. So I am a bit confused about why they feel the need to talk about Volta now...

A Vega 10 chip to go after the 1070/1080 and a big Vega 11 chip to tackle the 1080Ti/Titan XP. We'll se what their lineup will be in a little over a day. 

They say poor Volta because nVidia has to implement hardware async compute units since doing it via software isn't cutting it any more (see 1060 vs RX480 in properly optimized Vulkan/DX12 titles). But that increases power consumption, something they don't want. AMD has had 4 years with GCN to get power consumption in check with async hardware which is something they've managed to do quite nicely. nVidia is new to that. 

39 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

I am sorry to say that probably won't happen the new simd will probably just help with power efficiency and the new scheduler would have to be very good indeed. A vega fury sized chip will probably beat the 1080 but i don't know if it will be by enough margin to keep up with the 1080ti. They need to get those clocks up.

They also have patents describing per-SIMD clock speeds rather than all the CUs at once, so higher clocks on the SIMDs/CUs are possible when you can lower clocks on one part of the core that's idling and then have higher clocks on another part that's doing the work.

Ye ole' train

50 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

AMD published patent that show fine grain control over the SIMDs in the CU meaning when when some SIMDs are ideal they well be power gated and the ones that are used get boost in clock BUT we don't know if this well make it into VEGA.
Also new refinements to the 14 nm process well help, like we are seeing now with the new revisions of the RX 480 that are reaching upward of 1480 Mhz OCed.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

@lots of unexplainable lag I thought Vega 11 would be the smaller one, like how Polaris 11 is the smaller one compared to Polaris 10. 

10 and 11 are just the order in which they were developed, not which is better or weaker.

Star Wars Battlefront 4K Ultra. Locked to 60 fps.

005.jpg004.jpg

Thats well above GTX1080

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

17 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

005.jpg004.jpg

Thats well above GTX1080

yep for some perspective the GTX 1080 is under 50fps in battlefront 4k

http://www.techspot.com/review/1174-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/page4.html

so vega is 28% faster comparing those two benchmarks

of course we do not know what benchmark sequence techspot used but this is promising...

edit- maybe on a less demanding map the 1080 can do 60fps locked as well

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-video-card-review_181298/8

12 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

005.jpg004.jpg

Thats well above GTX1080

Now lets see which Vega that is: big or small. 

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, 3DOSH said:

AMD published patent that show fine grain control over the SIMDs in the CU meaning when when some SIMDs are ideal they well be power gated and the ones that are used get boost in clock BUT we don't know if this well make it into VEGA.
Also new refinements to the 14 nm process well help, like we are seeing now with the new revisions of the RX 480 that are reaching upward of 1480 Mhz OCed.

That patent application was made back in 2014, so there's a very good chance it'll get into Vega.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

That patent application was made back in 2014, so there's a very good chance it'll get into Vega.

It's highly unlikely that it won't be in there. It's Raja's technology with Raja's architecture, there's no point of not including it unless he found something better. 

Ye ole' train

Hang on guys, I don't think you quoted the images and video enough. Let's make this the tallest page ever for no shitting reason.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 hour ago, 3DOSH said:

005.jpg004.jpg

Thats well above GTX1080

Why is the FOV set to 55? that isn't a default... I thought the FOV was 75 default?

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Less than 24 hours to go, let's hope it's worth the wait and whatever.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

@lots of unexplainable lag I thought Vega 11 would be the smaller one, like how Polaris 11 is the smaller one compared to Polaris 10. 

Polaris 10 (big Polaris) was developed before Polaris 11 (small Polaris). Same here, except now Vega 10 is the small GPU and Vega 11 is the big one. 

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Polaris 10 (big Polaris) was developed before Polaris 11 (small Polaris). Same here, except now Vega 10 is the small GPU and Vega 11 is the big one. 

Wouldn't it just be better for the numbering system to stay the same... :c

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Wouldn't it just be better for the numbering system to stay the same... :c

It is, they developed one after the other. Except with Polaris the small one was developed later, and with Vega they decided later on they wanted a GPU. That is, if we even see a small and big Vega. That's all been speculation up to this point. We'll see tomorrow. 

Ye ole' train

I don't really follow this type of news as I don't understand how graphics processor architecture works. What is the usual time frame between the chipset/architecture announcement and the product launch?

Thanks

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I don't really follow this type of news as I don't understand how graphics processor architecture works. What is the usual time frame between the chipset/architecture announcement and the product launch?

Thanks

It depends on the company but if you consider road maps a announcement then usually over a year. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Thanks

People have used the Polaris announcement as a sort of guideline for Vega. Using that announcement we could see Vega go out into the wild in like 2-3 months. But that's speculating. We'll see what nVidia does with the 1080Ti, but if they announce at CES with near-immediate availablity then AMD has to follow suit or they'll lose customers to that 1080Ti if they don't release soon. That said, AMD's announcement video showed a storage hall full of new drums (analouges for GPUs) so we all could be very wrong and Vega will go out within 2 weeks. But again: speculation. 

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

-snip-

Shhhhh....

youll get the attention from the other users on how AMD made a card that beated the 1080... with a handicap.

Groomlake Authority

16 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Shhhhh....

youll get the attention from the other users on how AMD made a card that beated the 1080... with a handicap.

The default FOV is 55, I just installed it on Origin and fired it up and its awful on FOV of 55 but it is a default setting.

Couldn't care less if it beats the 1080, as long as its got a cheaper price point and AMD are upping the technology game then its good for all consumers.  Nvidia have played the game very well over the past few years to keep AMD innovations looking lackluster, I hope AMD can return to battling for the 50% market share again.

Personally I only went Intel/Nvidia due to AMD not having anything comparable in CPUs or chipset and the upgrade was due when the 980ti first arrived on the scene.  Would happily go AMD/AMD again without a second thought if the performance, features and price are right.

I still have an old AMD 2500+ Barton green monster sat in the loft.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

Why is the FOV set to 55? that isn't a default... I thought the FOV was 75 default?

in this game the setting refers to vertical fov. So the 55 is ok and also the default. that should correspond to 98 degrees horizontal fov on a 16:9 resolution.