AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus

I really do hope they succeed. Even though i already bought a 1080 a few months back, it would be beneficial for everybody in the long run if AMD releases a GPU that offers a 1080s performance for a lower price. That doesn't necessarily mean that AMD will win, all Nvidia has to do is lower their prices. But for the consumer, it's a win-win situation.

36 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah, exactly what happened with the 480 vs 1060.

...except it didn't.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I really do hope they succeed. Even though i already bought a 1080 a few months back, it would be beneficial for everybody in the long run if AMD releases a GPU that offers a 1080s performance for a lower price. That doesn't necessarily mean that AMD will win, all Nvidia has to do is lower their prices. But for the consumer, it's a win-win situation.

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on a 1070 and fancy Gsync display in 2016, so I'm heavily invested in Nvidia right now.  I might go ahead and upgrade to a Ryzen CPU though, if benches are good and price is fair.

31 minutes ago, App4that said:

The Fury X has never caught the 980ti. It has caught a 980ti at reference clock speeds in games that favor the Fury X. If AMD had not used HBM and put that money elsewhere I think that would be different. 

Like I said, AMD needs a card that matches the 1080 for the price of the 1070 to win. Match the 1080 and Nvidia has the means to drop the prices past where AMD can survive. To do that AMD needs to stop being foolish and use tech that works. Worry about innovation after they beat Nvidia. 

That is a fair point.  Fury X caught and sometimes beats the 980 ti reference only.  After market 980 ti was much faster, and no such cards exist from AMD's side.  

AMD is always selling at low margins to try compete.  What they need is stronger branding.  Nvidia's branding is rock solid - very hard to compete against.  And perhaps you are right about HBM.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

...except it didn't.

...except it kind of did

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-23.html

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on a 1070 and fancy Gsync display in 2016, so I'm heavily invested in Nvidia right now.  I might go ahead and upgrade to a Ryzen CPU though, if benches are good and price is fair.

That is a fair point.  Fury X caught and sometimes beats the 980 ti reference only.  After market 980 ti was much faster, and no such cards exist from AMD's side.  

AMD is always selling at low margins to try compete.  What they need is stronger branding.  Nvidia's branding is rock solid - very hard to compete against.  And perhaps you are right about HBM.  

AMD has taken 10% away from Nvidia without having a high end card, that's awesome. And it shows people want options. If they can succeed with Ryzen and Vega it will be the start of a new golden era of hardware. Fingers crossed. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

480vs1060 kind of did...FuryX is still noticeably slower than a 980ti though especially if they are overclocked.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

480vs1060 kind of did...FuryX is still noticeably slower than a 980ti though especially if they are overclocked.

The 480 vs 1060 is subjective. But I myself would pick a 480 purely because of Nvidias dick move to not include SLI.

Just now, App4that said:

The 480 vs 1060 is subjective. But I myself would pick a 480 purely because of Nvidias dick move to not include SLI.

they are very even cards...one is better in some games and the other is better with some other games...probably why they cost about the same hey :P

Can't wait for an AMD ''preview'' where it beat a Pacal Titan X in 1 game at 4K...and then loose significantly to a GTX 1080 in all the other games while using 35% more power per cycle and cost 25$ less...i'm so excited!!!

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Lack of overclocking on Fury X is a problem, but my point remains.  If Fury X had optimized drivers at launch, it would have sold much better.  To a large degree, people's opinions are affected by launch day reviews.  Those reviews put Fury X well behind a reference 980 ti.  And since no third party OC versions came to light, Fury X was a failure.

390 and 390 X also suffered similarly, and the 200 series, etc.

Another way to look at it is that AMD cards age like wine, whereas Nvidia tends to gimp their cards.

PC Build

Desk Build

I actually really agree with nVidia making SLI only on the 70's 80's because it has always been a not perfect technology with a lot of problems for both ends, the consumer and manufacturer, going with a single higher end GPU like buying a 1070/1080 for the price you'd pay by SLI'ing two 1060's seems to me like the smartest thing.

Also the 1060 6gb does have more raw power than the rx 480, the day nvidia fix the DX12 drivers which might happen after some of these many releases incoming the table here will turn completely and AMD will likely depend on this new product to keep its share on the market... if its just a very high end, high priced deal that still doesn't reach the 1080 they will see themselves in  trouble to find market space.

Now I have no reason not to want to see AMD succeeding on this for the competition will make nVidia better but lets be honest, especially with Ryzen AMD has been all about over-hyping it without any solid background so far.

@CostcoSamples I don't agree with you, I was using a GTX 560Ti until little ago and its performance in titles like CS:GO League of Legends and alike were all 100+ fps with all maxed out, and it did good enough in a lot of games being able to almost max even the latest 2013 titles, nVidia old cards are as solid as AMD old ones.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

49 minutes ago, App4that said:

The Fury X has never caught the 980ti. It has caught a 980ti at reference clock speeds in games that favor the Fury X. If AMD had not used HBM and put that money elsewhere I think that would be different.

I wonder what a Fury X with GDDR5 and 1024 more shaders (removing the HBM and interposer would free up the 'budget' to do that, no?) would've been like...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Another way to look at it is that AMD cards age like wine, whereas Nvidia tends to gimp their cards.

No, No, No! We do that outside!

Nvidia does not "gimp" anything, nor do they drop support. What they do is bring new architectures to market much more frequently than AMD. AMD tends to favor re-branding architectures. 

Don't get twisted.

9 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

For what it's worth, my XFX 480 is only consuming 95-100 watts on the core while benchmarking and it's often in the mid 80s when gaming. It's not a particularly high asic (from  memory it's 66%) either which means it's not as efficient per mhz as it could be.

mine is the same, and does 100-120 while at 1400mhz

The true question here is; will vega manage enough heat to make me as good barbecue as its ancestors? xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And even then, it consumes uite a bit more power to do that, substantially more than even the far more powerful GTX 1070.

Spoiler

83309.png

Considering that the RX480 consumes roughly 20-30 watts more than a 1060, I'm sure that saving $6.75 per year (assuming 5 hour of gaming everyday for a whole year, 0.12 [cost of a kW/h of electricity] x 0.03 [kW] x 5 [hours] x 365 [days]) is totally worth the price difference of the RX480 compared to the 1060 in some places :P. Especially when the 4GB RX480 has the perf of the full phat 8GB RX480 while costing more or less as much as the 3GB 1060.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

37 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

From what I read on reddit (BEEP BEEP TRUCK OF SALT) Volta is only a refresh of Pascal.

it is not!, there are some pascal cards that will have a refresh tho, before we see volta

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hide contents

83309.png

Considering that the RX480 consumes roughly 20-30 watts more than a 1060, I'm sure that saving $6.75 per year (assuming 5 hour of gaming everyday for a whole year, 0.12 [cost of a kW/h of electricity] x 0.03 [kW] x 5 [hours] x 365 [days]) is totally worth the price difference of the RX480 compared to the 1060 in some places :P. Especially when the 4GB RX480 has the perf of the full phat 8GB RX480 while costing more or less as much as the 3GB 1060.

2 different sources, results within margin of error, the RX 480  consumes more:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,5.html

Edit: Note tomshardware's Furmark results.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

For what it's worth, my XFX 480 is only consuming 95-100 watts on the core while benchmarking and it's often in the mid 80s when gaming. It's not a particularly high asic (from  memory it's 66%) either which means it's not as efficient per mhz as it could be.

22 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

mine is the same, and does 100-120 while at 1400mhz

Awwwww, that's not fair...my RX470 overclocked at 1350MHz consumes 135Watts and at 1400MHz consumes 150watts core only, even if it has an ASIC quality of 73.9%...(just proves than ASIC quality doesn't really mean that much anymore)

The worst part is how Asus only put a 6 pin on their strix RX470...so it technically can only draw 150watts of power (although I have a XFX XTS 1kW PSU...) so when I try anything higher than 1300MHz core (30MHz overclock from factory), it starts to stutter and throttle but whatever, it cost me the price of a RX460 2GB to buy so why am I even complaining about losing the silicon lottery? :D 

Then I remember that my reference 290Xs would do 1253MHz core and 1264MHz core when they aren't CFXed...

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

2 different sources, results within margin of error, the RX 480  consumes more:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,5.html

Edit: Note tomshardware's Furmark results.

Fine, 46watts difference between the RX480 and 1060 is still sub $10 price difference if they ran furmark for 1780 hours (which is not recommended...) plus the crysis 3 power consumption numbers are more realistic as who's going to be stressing their GPU with a benchmark?

To be fair, 5 hours really is pushing how long people actually play per day, it probably averages out to something more like 2-3 hour per day so from example, in the UK the cheapest 8GB RX480 is roughly 10 quid cheaper than the cheapest 1060 so it would still take 1.5-3 years of gaming for the 1060 to have costed the same as a RX480 :P (1.5-3 years as it depends on what numbers you use)

I mean, JayzTwoCents got an XFX RX480 GTR and at stock clocks (for the GTR that is 1288 MHz) that thing pulled like 87W max while under gaming load. Even at a 1475 MHz overclock it never went above 140W.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I mean, JayzTwoCents got an XFX RX480 GTR and at stock clocks (for the GTR that is 1288 MHz) that thing pulled like 87W max while under gaming load. Even at a 1475 MHz overclock it never went above 140W.

That was an outlier lol

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That was an outlier lol

First world problems with new processes :/ (I mean 150W core only for 1400Mhz on my RX470 is pretty appalling compared to what others got...)

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

First world problems with new processes :/ (I mean 150W core only for 1400Mhz on my RX470 is pretty appalling compared to what others got...)

Um, push the power target :D 6-pin connectors don't have less cables than 8-pins, maybe you can do 200W)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Um, push the power target :D 6-pin connectors don't have less cables than 8-pins, maybe you can do 200W)

+50% power limit, 1301MHz, the clock speeds starts to jump around badly...while at 1270MHz (factory stock) and upto 1300MHz at +0% power limit, it's stable...fun tiems when your system draws a max of 400watts~ underload while you have a 1kW plat rated PSU :P 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

+50% power limit, 1301MHz, the clock speeds starts to jump around badly...while at 1270MHz (factory stock) and upto 1300MHz at +0% power limit, it's stable...fun tiems when your system draws a max of 400watts~ underload while you have a 1kW plat rated PSU :P 

lol ow. Well if you're gonna push power limit you should also push voltage.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler