AMD's Vega architecture previewed at ve.ga

captain cactus
1 minute ago, Energycore said:

igmur post says found on http://ve.ga

word cloud doesn't say much tbh. 8x capacity/stack probably refers to HBM2.

ahh there is sauce for the pasta :P

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ahh there is sauce for the pasta :P

I don't eat no pasta without sauce.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I don't eat no pasta without sauce.

pasta without sauce is useless :P

although im genuinely wanting amd to compete :P

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

pasta without sauce is useless :P

although im genuinely wanting amd to compete :P

What I want is for prices to drop on goddamned RX 480s in my country. :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, EOZ said:

I wish all the best to AMD Vega but reality is reality i think GTX 1080Ti (GDDR5X) will easily knockout AMD Vega GPU with (HBM2) Memory.

b0Lqr.gif

The really sad part is that AMD is often a little slow on driver optimization at launch, meaning launch day benchmarks favor Nvidia.  If you do the same tests a couple months later, AMD is often equal or ahead of Nvidia, but by that time they've lost the market share.  Perhaps a lot of the Polaris optimizations will benefit Vega and this time around we'll see a different story.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

51 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

a word cloud has been leaked if anyone is interested.WAeuoHz.png

So it is a new architecture then, not an iteration on GCN.

Ties in pretty much to this Reddit post which I put in a spoiler for you since it's a wall of text (nevertheless a very interesting wall of text):

Spoiler

They did. AMD is making it known that Vega is a brand new architecture. They aren't even calling it GCN anymore, but NCU.

GCN refers to a unique layout of the Compute Units, 4 SIMDs, each 16 ALUs, for a 64 ALU Compute Unit setup. This was the core of GCN for Tahiti to Polaris.

Vega being a New Compute Unit, AMD would have done major changes to it's design. 

This definitely has implications. One of which is the AMD FineWine "technology"... AMD optimizing for Hawaii or Fiji or even Polaris benefits older GCN cards because they are the same design.

AMD optimizing for Vega in the future, may not carry through to GCN based GPUs. AMD would have to optimize for both GCN & NCU.

As for die sizes, Polaris is ~232mm2, with the first Vega released rumored to have 4096 SP, it should be around twice that die size, accounting some extra for non-linear increases due to non-SP related transistors to support a higher Sp count. Now, factor in HBM die-space saving by shifting most of the memory controller to the first layer of the HBM stack, we should arrive at ~400mm2 for a Vega 4096 SP HBM2 chip.

Big Vega (if it exists, which I think it does), should be +50%, or right at the 600mm2 mark, matching Fiji and Titan Maxwell & Pascal GP100.

As for what I think Vega's NCU is, there's references to patents for the next-gen GPU architecture from AMD. Some of these patents were discussed prior to Polaris launching, so go back to that time via google if you want the source but it's been covered here and on tech forums already. 

In summary, AMD's next-gen Compute Unit will do away with the identical layout of SIMDs. ie. Their current CU is 4x SIMD of 16 ALU. This design is great for compute workloads, but for gaming, AMD always seem to have trouble fully utilizing those 4x SIMD to the max. This is due to variability in the shaders being processed by games, they don't always saturate or use up all the 16 ALUs of each SIMD fully. Thus you have idle ALUs, dropping efficiency.

AMD's new Compute Unit per their patent is moving to a variable width SIMD, so each Compute Unit may have 1x 16 ALU SIMD and 3x Variable Width ALU SIMD (different ratios of 12,8,6,4 ALU etc), however, each of those SIMDs can combine to process shader that requires 16 width, thus it is dynamic and flexible. Gaming code should in theory better utilize the CU, less ALUs will idle. 

The other patents cover SIMD level clock-gating, which is very fine-grained. Currently it's the entire array of Compute Units that operate at a certain clock speed (for both GCN & up to Pascal). AMD wants to regulate clocks on the SIMD level, so any idled SIMD can down-clock, while active SIMD can overclock to compensate by using the saved TDP of the down-clocked SIMD.

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5li8gg/some_extremely_rough_speculation_about_vega/?

Ye ole' train

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What I want is for prices to drop on goddamned RX 480s in my country. :(

rip, blame the shops/country 

rip, blame the shops/country 

RIP me

I'm also waiting for someone to release an unlock 470 to 480 BIOS so I can jump on that

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Calm down, this is probably the 1070/1080 contender and not 1080 Ti contender.

I think so too. If the 1080 ti contender was ready, they would have used at the Zen reveal.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 hours ago, sof006 said:

I wonder how much AMD paid for that domain name.

according to godaddy , between 3grand and 300 bucks 

well ve.xyz is 3000€ and ve.ws is 5€ 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, FakezZ said:

YES. THANK YOU! Had you written cout << "derp" << endl; I would be all over you about how the using namespace std is bad practise xD Worst thing is they teach it at some universities ffs agghhh /rant

well; i usually use namespace std for practicality , but since that was only one line , i had to use std::cout xD

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Scitesh said:

Welcome to the club

Volta will be good if they implement specific hardware to drive dx12 and vulkan api. Pascal is just a patched gpu to make dx12 compatible, like most games in 2016. I guess pascal won't be relevant in the coming years. Better bet on RTG this year for new GPU buyers on the high end. I'll probably sell my 1070 when Vega comes with acceptable price after the early price gauging from the e-tailers. 

cant wait to throw away my 980 tis just doesnt fit my team red build.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

Been on AMD's high end for 9 years, hopefully they can provide me a reason to buy Vega instead of the 1070.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

AMD has a bad track record of over hyping their product. If AMD brings a card that matches the 1080 or even 1080ti, Nvidia will just drop the prices and still win. AMD has to forget overpriced crap like HBM2 and use what works. Bring a card that beats the 1080 at a 1070's price. That's how they win.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

36 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

When I have to write simple 400 line codes, having to use "std::cin" and "std::cout" seem like such a pain. Much easier to use namespace std. Why is it considered so bad to use it anyway ?

I don't actually know.  I guess there might be conflicts at some point ,  or some errors might be easier to make.  Idk.  Might come down to programming style. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

57 minutes ago, App4that said:

AMD has a bad track record of over hyping their product. If AMD brings a card that matches the 1080 or even 1080ti, Nvidia will just drop the prices and still win. AMD has to forget overpriced crap like HBM2 and use what works. Bring a card that beats the 1080 at a 1070's price. That's how they win.

That's not exactly accurate.  Nvidia is the king of hype.  It's actually really impressive how good they are at hype.  It's why they consistently outsell AMD even when Nvidia GPUs were worse and more expensive.  AMD could learn a thing or two from Nvidia's marketing strategies.

The thing that most worries me is launch day drivers.  AMD is always behind the curve at launch, only to catch up months later, after the initial hype train has been milked.  They need to optimize drivers like crazy and hype Vega like there's no tomorrow.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

That's not exactly accurate.  Nvidia is the king of hype.  It's actually really impressive how good they are at hype.  It's why they consistently outsell AMD even when Nvidia GPUs were worse and more expensive.  AMD could learn a thing or two from Nvidia's marketing strategies.

The thing that most worries me is launch day drivers.  AMD is always behind the curve at launch, only to catch up months later, after the initial hype train has been milked.  They need to optimize drivers like crazy and hype Vega like there's no tomorrow.  

AMD has been competitive at the low end, and sometime mid range. But AMD has been behind Nvidia at the high end for years. While Nvidia does fluff as much as AMD, Nvidia does it against their own cards. AMD pull crap like the AotS RX 480 test. 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

I don't think AMD overhypes anything, its more the community that does it. Everyone seems to expect AMD to beat NVidia and if they don't it's a bad product because it consumes a few watts more or whatever. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

5 minutes ago, -iSynthesis said:

I don't think AMD overhypes anything, its more the community that does it. Everyone seems to expect AMD to beat NVidia and if they don't it's a bad product because it consumes a few watts more or whatever. 

The community does worse than AMD, but they do too. Look at the Fury X, the Pro Duo, Bulldozer, etc. Look at the Ashes of the Singularity test done with two RX 480 that is a test for one game that uses a feature they used to show what they wanted people to see. Nvidia does it too, bad. But like I said Nvidia does it to their own cards for the most part. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

The community does worse than AMD, but they do too. Look at the Fury X, the Pro Duo, Bulldozer, etc. Look at the Ashes of the Singularity test done with two RX 480 that is a test for one game that uses a feature they used to show what they wanted people to see. Nvidia does it too, bad. But like I said Nvidia does it to their own cards for the most part. 

Bulldozer was a disaster.  Fury X suffered a painful death due to poor launch drivers.  A few months after release, once drivers were finally optimized, Fury X was on par with 980 ti.  It's been the same story for the last couple generations.  Go as far back as 2008 and AMD was actually WAY ahead yet hardly sold any cards compared to Nvidia due to failed marketing.  

It's all water under the bridge.  Right now we need AMD to sell Vega like freakin' hot cakes to get them back in the game!

PC Build

Desk Build

2 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

The really sad part is that AMD is often a little slow on driver optimization at launch, meaning launch day benchmarks favor Nvidia.  If you do the same tests a couple months later, AMD is often equal or ahead of Nvidia, but by that time they've lost the market share.  Perhaps a lot of the Polaris optimizations will benefit Vega and this time around we'll see a different story.  

Yeah, exactly what happened with the 480 vs 1060.

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Bulldozer was a disaster.  Fury X suffered a painful death due to poor launch drivers.  A few months after release, once drivers were finally optimized, Fury X was on par with 980 ti.  It's been the same story for the last couple generations.  Go as far back as 2008 and AMD was actually WAY ahead yet hardly sold any cards compared to Nvidia due to failed marketing.  

It's all water under the bridge.  Right now we need AMD to sell Vega like freakin' hot cakes to get them back in the game!

The Fury X has never caught the 980ti. It has caught a 980ti at reference clock speeds in games that favor the Fury X. If AMD had not used HBM and put that money elsewhere I think that would be different. 

Like I said, AMD needs a card that matches the 1080 for the price of the 1070 to win. Match the 1080 and Nvidia has the means to drop the prices past where AMD can survive. To do that AMD needs to stop being foolish and use tech that works. Worry about innovation after they beat Nvidia. 

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

no it does not

reputable tech sites do not spread this shit around; the others do it just to get views and hits

that article was talking about a single core OC to 5ghz. FYI

3 hours ago, Carclis said:

I wonder how much they're stretching these figures and what they're comparing them to. I'm assuming 390x which would still be quite impressive.

the wordcloud is about HBM2 vs HBM1 from what I understand.

2 hours ago, raphidy said:

Volta will be good if they implement specific hardware to drive dx12 and vulkan api. Pascal is just a patched gpu to make dx12 compatible, like most games in 2016. I guess pascal won't be relevant in the coming years. Better bet on RTG this year for new GPU buyers on the high end. I'll probably sell my 1070 when Vega comes with acceptable price after the early price gauging from the e-tailers. 

From what I read on reddit (BEEP BEEP TRUCK OF SALT) Volta is only a refresh of Pascal.