If my parents have time warner for Internet can I pay for my own separate service in the same house?

Bleedingyamato

My idiot father thinks our internet is a good speed and doesn't realize how slow it really is.  Any time I try to discuss getting faster internet he reacts like a small child and threatens to get even slower internet just to be a jerk.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be getting a job after I graduate with my MLIS degree in the spring and so I'd assume I could afford to pay for my own internet if it's possible to set up separate service in the same house.

My hope would be that I could eventually do this and get faster internet for quicker game downloads. 

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Preferably with time Warner but I'm also curious if a different service provider would be required or not.

@DeadEyePsycho

@Oshino Shinobu

@wkdpaul

@LAwLz

@M.Yurizaki

Would any of you know by any chance?

Do it respectfully. There's no reason to have slow internet when there's a plan for better speed at the same price.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Is there any way you could get the internet into your hands? That would be best.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Yes, you should be able to because it's Time Warner communicating with the modem, not the house. So you can have separate signals running on the same lines. Just double check with your local Time Warner about it.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My idiot father thinks our internet is a good speed and doesn't realize how slow it really is.  Any time I try to discuss getting faster internet he reacts like a small child and threatens to get even slower internet just to be a jerk.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be getting a job after I graduate with my MLIS degree in the spring and so I'd assume I could afford to pay for my own internet if it's possible to set up separate service in the same house.

My hope would be that I could eventually do this and get faster internet for quicker game downloads. 

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Preferably with time Warner but I'm also curious if a different service provider would be required or not.

@DeadEyePsycho

@Oshino Shinobu

@wkdpaul

@LAwLz

@M.Yurizaki

Would any of you know by any chance?

First off... that's a bad idea in so many ways.  Don't undermine your parents.

Additionally, if I was you I'd focus on making your current connection work correctly.  Unless you have <10Mbps (which Time Warner doesn't sell) then you're never really gonna use it...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

5 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

off topic snip

Don't quote the OP or just snip if it you need to.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Don't quote the OP or just snip if it you need to.

You should quote everyone so they get a notification and people can see the threads accordingly...  This is forum 101.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

4 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You should quote everyone so they get a notification and people can see the threads accordingly...  This is forum 101.

You're one of the first few to have reached the page. It's considered good etiquette to 'snip' or not quote the OP to keep the threads clean for mobile and desktop users.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Or you know, you could move out. :P

You'd have to check with TWC. I have the shitshow known as Charter, and they can only have one account per street address. Find out what service you have as it is (run a speed test and post a screenshot of it), see if there are any upgrade plans, and try to negotiate paying the difference with the parentals if need be. But you do need to talk to TWC to figure out if any of it is even feasible in the first place. Honestly though, if you're graduating and will have a degree, you should probably be moving out of your parent's place anyways.

10 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Op still get notifications from simply leaving comment on his post. 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You're one of the first few to have reached the page. It's considered good etiquette to 'snip' or not quote the OP to keep the threads clean for mobile and desktop users.

http://www.n-etiquette.com/forum.htm

Right there...  Point 1.

Spoiler

Most ISPs can run multiple services to the same location without much fuss. If their policy is like a poster said above (for Charter), as one per address, then you're probably out of luck.

And depending on their solution, they might require homeowner permission if they're bringing a separate line and need to route it somewhere. I've seen both; using the same line, and running a new one. It would be at your added expense most likely as well.

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

http://www.n-etiquette.com/forum.htm

Right there...  Point 1.

Those aren't the rules for every forum. Quoting OP is useless unless you're tackling a specific segment.

You can always use @JefferyD90, instead. Quoting the OP on first shots should be specifically partitioned or snipped to allow better communication. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Those aren't the rules for every forum. Quoting OP is useless unless you're tackling a specific segment.

You can always use @JefferyD90, instead. Quoting the OP on first shots should be specifically partitioned or snipped to allow better communication. 

Then, in 6 months, when someone visits this thread again (which they will do) they visitor knows EXACTLY what the situation is without having to reread useless info.  Its no inconvenience for anyone to quote someone, and it is a major convenience for many people.

Spoiler

TWC offers up to 300/20 Mbps in many areas. Their slowest speed is 50/5 Mpbs. It may not be gigabit but it is far from slow. And the 300/20 is the same price as the 50/5 (ya, dumb but since the 100/20, 200/20 and 300/20 are only in certain areas, they upgrade their users for free when this speed comes to their area)

Also, have you looked into other ISPs and what their speeds are compared to TWC/Spectrum and if it is worth the payment of installation and the monthly fee?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

Then, in 6 months, when someone visits this thread again (which they will do) they visitor knows EXACTLY what the situation is without having to reread useless info.  Its no inconvenience for anyone to quote someone, and it is a major convenience for many people.

You do realize this is the first page right? The OP is literally a scroll or two up.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You do realize this is the first page right? The OP is literally a scroll or two up.

And with my quote, its RIGHT THERE... no scroll at all.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Do it respectfully. There's no reason to have slow internet when there's a plan for better speed at the same price.

Trust me it's not like I start swearing or anything.  Even a casual comment about crazy long it takes to download things triggers his bs reaction.  I swear he's got undiagnosed mental issues.  He doesn't react to things normally.  

7 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Is there any way you could get the internet into your hands? That would be best.

Idk what you mean but I assume no.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, ive done this.

With this provider or a different one?    Is there anything in particular to worry about?

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yes, you should be able to because it's Time Warner communicating with the modem, not the house. So you can have separate signals running on the same lines. Just double check with your local Time Warner about it.

Yeah, I guess asking them directly would be good to try.  

4 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

First off... that's a bad idea in so many ways.  Don't undermine your parents.

Additionally, if I was you I'd focus on making your current connection work correctly.  Unless you have <10Mbps (which Time Warner doesn't sell) then you're never really gonna use it...

My parents (especially my father who I'm 99% certain must have some sort of mental health issue) have issues understanding things and refuse to believe me when I try to explain things.  I wish I could remember what but there's been multiple times since last January when I got my main desktop that I've tried to tell my father about something I'd just learned and he's tried to contradict me with his opinion that I was wrong rather than any facts like I was mentioning.  (I wish I could remember specific examples..) 

One thing that comes to mind is when he saw the LEDs in my desktop he was very critical of them and compared them to disco lights...  Basically he came just short of calling me crazy for having them in my computer.  

It's fine if he personally didn't like them but he crossed a line insulting them to the degree that he did.  

Our current service does work but it amounts to only a 1MB/s download from Steam or GOG.  I know that must be our limit because it's the same from both Steam and GOG and using wifi (we have what I think is a decent speed AC wifi router) vs. Ethernet doesn't make a difference.  

I'm 100% done with waiting several hours for games to download.  When I'd gotten my PS4 I started the download for The Last of Us Remastered around 6pm I think, maybe an hour plus or minus, and it didn't finish until about 2-3 am.  

It is unacceptable that a download could take so long that I didn't get to use a game console I spent hundreds on the sand day I got it.  

So assuming it's possible as soon as I can afford it I'm getting faster internet.  Even a small improvement over what I have now would dramatically reduce how much time I have to wait for things to download.  

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

And with my quote, its RIGHT THERE... no scroll at all.

It's forum etiquette to not fill a topic up with useless info also

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Also run a speed test... It takes 30 seconds and steam/gog aren't always accurate.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Trust me it's not like I start swearing or anything.  Even a casual comment about crazy long it takes to download things triggers his bs reaction.  I swear he's got undiagnosed mental issues.  He doesn't react to things normally.  

Idk what you mean but I assume no.

With this provider or a different one?    Is there anything in particular to worry about?

Yeah, I guess asking them directly would be good to try.  

My parents (especially my father who I'm 99% certain must have some sort of mental health issue) have issues understanding things and refuse to believe me when I try to explain things.  I wish I could remember what but there's been multiple times since last January when I got my main desktop that I've tried to tell my father about something I'd just learned and he's tried to contradict me with his opinion that I was wrong rather than any facts like I was mentioning.  (I wish I could remember specific examples..) 

One thing that comes to mind is when he saw the LEDs in my desktop he was very critical of them and compared them to disco lights...  Basically he came just short of calling me crazy for having them in my computer.  

It's fine if he personally didn't like them but he crossed a line insulting them to the degree that he did.  

Our current service does work but it amounts to only a 1MB/s download from Steam or GOG.  I know that must be our limit because it's the same from both Steam and GOG and using wifi (we have what I think is a decent speed AC wifi router) vs. Ethernet doesn't make a difference.  

I'm 100% done with waiting several hours for games to download.  When I'd gotten my PS4 I started the download for The Last of Us Remastered around 6pm I think, maybe an hour plus or minus, and it didn't finish until about 2-3 am.  

It is unacceptable that a download could take so long that I didn't get to use a game console I spent hundreds on the sand day I got it.  

So assuming it's possible as soon as I can afford it I'm getting faster internet.  Even a small improvement over what I have now would dramatically reduce how much time I have to wait for things to download.  

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/plans-packages/internet/internet-service-plans.html

Their slowest package is 50Mbps, which should translate into ~6MBps in Steam and other programs.  So you're getting less than 1/6 what you pay for.

Edit: even with mental issues, don't undermine them.  Come at it from a real adult manner, show them some maturity.  Sit down and say something like "Dad, I really want a better internet package.  And I'm willing to do some work to make it happen."  If their mental capacity is so bad that they cant respond to something like that, I'd suggest you start looking for your own place.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, divito said:

Most ISPs can run multiple services to the same location without much fuss. If their policy is like a poster said above (for Comcast), as one per address, then you're probably out of luck.

Just for clarification, it's Charter, not Comcast; though they both exist on the lowest rungs of worthwhile companies.

6 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

off topic snip

From the PSU Tier List with long time members:

On 12/23/2016 at 3:33 PM, Starelementpoke said:

Don't quote the whole thing please. If you do quote a long post, please snip it at the least.

On 12/23/2016 at 3:34 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Although could you kindly snip your post so that the entire post isn't in your quote cuz my middle finger hurts from all the scrolling :P

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler