If my parents have time warner for Internet can I pay for my own separate service in the same house?

Bleedingyamato
22 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Or you know, you could move out. :P

You'd have to check with TWC. I have the shitshow known as Charter, and they can only have one account per street address. Find out what service you have as it is (run a speed test and post a screenshot of it), see if there are any upgrade plans, and try to negotiate paying the difference with the parentals if need be. But you do need to talk to TWC to figure out if any of it is even feasible in the first place. Honestly though, if you're graduating and will have a degree, you should probably be moving out of your parent's place anyways.

I'd love to trust me but currently it's not an option and depending on how things end up being with my student loans after I graduate I might be stuck here a while longer until things would work out to afford moving out.  But I'm gone once it's doable.  

Yeah, it seems talking to TWC or other providers would be a good place to start.  

15 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

http://www.n-etiquette.com/forum.htm

Right there...  Point 1.

Not to be snippy with you but I get notified if anyone posts in my threads since I'm following them by default.  So you don't need to quote my initial post for me to get notified that you replied to my thread.  ?

13 minutes ago, divito said:

Most ISPs can run multiple services to the same location without much fuss. If their policy is like a poster said above (for Comcast), as one per address, then you're probably out of luck.

And depending on their solution, they might require homeowner permission if they're bringing a separate line and need to route it somewhere. I've seen both; using the same line, and running a new one. It would be at your added expense most likely as well.

I'd hope that so long as I'd be paying for it that my parents wouldn't care.  

7 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

TWC offers up to 300/20 Mbps in many areas. Their slowest speed is 50/5 Mpbs. It may not be gigabit but it is far from slow. And the 300/20 is the same price as the 50/5 (ya, dumb but since the 100/20, 200/20 and 300/20 are only in certain areas, they upgrade their users for free when this speed comes to their area)

Also, have you looked into other ISPs and what their speeds are compared to TWC/Spectrum and if it is worth the payment of installation and the monthly fee?

Idk exactly what upload speed we have but the download speed from Steam/GOG is the best I've ever seen.  

See?

Spoiler

image.jpeg

No I haven't checked into other service providers.  I literally just had this idea right before I posted this thread.  

It's not like I'd be rushing out to go do this tomorrow anyway so I've got plenty of time to explore options if I have any.

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

One thing that comes to mind is when he saw the LEDs in my desktop he was very critical of them and compared them to disco lights...  Basically he came just short of calling me crazy for having them in my computer.  

sounds like hes jealous /s 

12 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Our current service does work but it amounts to only a 1MB/s download from Steam or GOG

that's about 10mbps. go to fast.com or speedtest.net and verify that. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Even a small improvement over what I have now would dramatically reduce how much time I have to wait for things to download.

not unless you get a 30-50+mbps plan.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

From the PSU Tier List with long time members:

You're a piece of work... Trolling at its finest.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

16 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Our current service does work but it amounts to only a 1MB/s download from Steam or GOG.  I know that must be our limit because it's the same from both Steam and GOG and using wifi (we have what I think is a decent speed AC wifi router) vs. Ethernet doesn't make a difference.  

I'm 100% done with waiting several hours for games to download.  When I'd gotten my PS4 I started the download for The Last of Us Remastered around 6pm I think, maybe an hour plus or minus, and it didn't finish until about 2-3 am.  

It is unacceptable that a download could take so long that I didn't get to use a game console I spent hundreds on the sand day I got it.  

So assuming it's possible as soon as I can afford it I'm getting faster internet.  Even a small improvement over what I have now would dramatically reduce how much time I have to wait for things to download.  

Holy first world problems batman. Did you ever think that he might be salty that you're still living in his house, using his internet, buying a new PC and game console, and then complaining about not being able to download your games fast enough? Maybe instead of buying a new rig and console you should have used that to find your own place to live? I understand school is far from affordable these days and there are plenty of other factors that make living on your own difficult; but this issue is completely moot if you had your own place.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk exactly what upload speed we have but the download speed from Steam/GOG is the best I've ever seen.  

Go to www.speedtest.net and post a screenshot of your result here.

14 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Also run a speed test... It takes 30 seconds and steam/gog aren't always accurate.

Ok.  Should I pause the GOG download first?

14 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/plans-packages/internet/internet-service-plans.html

Their slowest package is 50Mbps, which should translate into ~6MBps in Steam and other programs.  So you're getting less than 1/6 what you pay for.

Edit: even with mental issues, don't undermine them.  Come at it from a real adult manner, show them some maturity.  Sit down and say something like "Dad, I really want a better internet package.  And I'm willing to do some work to make it happen."  If their mental capacity is so bad that they cant respond to something like that, I'd suggest you start looking for your own place.

Our service was set up several years ago so I think we might be on a slower service level than 50Mbps down.  I'd asked what our service was a while back and I'm almost positive I was told a number lower than 50.  

I suspect my father has mental issues but I'm not a doctor so idk for sure.  I just know is on a regular basis almost daily he doesn't react rationally to some things.  

As I said before any time I've even calmly commented on our slow internet he immediately freaks out and knew jerk reactions a threat of some sort along the lines of getting slower internet or cutting me off from Internet entirely.

I'm 29 not some immature child simply being pissy with my "mean parents" I know it might be hard to believe I'm not screaming at them saying "damn you I want faster internet make it happen nowwwww!" but it's true I've never once raised my voice or swore at my father when I commented on our internet speed.

So no my father is seemingly incapable of having a civil and rational discussion about this.  Yes I would love to move out but believe me when I say it's not in the cards to be immediately possible.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.  Should I pause the GOG download first?

Our service was set up several years ago so I think we might be on a slower service level than 50Mbps down.  I'd asked what our service was a while back and I'm almost positive I was told a number lower than 50.  

I suspect my father has mental issues but I'm not a doctor so idk for sure.  I just know is on a regular basis almost daily he doesn't react rationally to some things.  

As I said before any time I've even calmly commented on our slow internet he immediately freaks out and knew jerk reactions a threat of some sort along the lines of getting slower internet or cutting me off from Internet entirely.

I'm 29 not some immature child simply being pissy with my "mean parents" I know it might be hard to believe I'm not screaming at them saying "damn you I want faster internet make it happen nowwwww!" but it's true I've never once raised my voice or swore at my father when I commented on our internet speed.

So no my father is seemingly incapable of having a civil and rational discussion about this.  Yes I would love to move out but believe me when I say it's not in the cards to be immediately possible.  

You're going about it wrong.  Don't comment on how slow it is, that is just telling him that he cant pick the internet package.  This can QUICKLY be seen as a way of saying "You don't know how to pick a internet package" instead of "I want to upgrade the package".

Regardless, if you have a old package that hasn't been updated to their new offerings...  Then that is a simple issue.  Otherwise, you might want to fix your current connection.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

31 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

sounds like hes jealous /s 

that's about 10mbps. go to fast.com or speedtest.net and verify that. 

not unless you get a 30-50+mbps plan.

Maybe he is? lol 

23 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Holy first world problems batman. Did you ever think that he might be salty that you're still living in his house, using his internet, buying a new PC and game console, and then complaining about not being able to download your games fast enough? Maybe instead of buying a new rig and console you should have used that to find your own place to live? I understand school is far from affordable these days and there are plenty of other factors that make living on your own difficult; but this issue is completely moot if you had your own place.

Go to www.speedtest.net and post a screenshot of your result here.

No trust me he's just an ass.  I know it might be hard to believe but I've had to suffer through 29 years of living with this prick.  I can safely say that he is objectively a horrible human being.  Other members of my extended family have occasionally commented on him being irrational so it's not just me.  

This desktop along with the upgrades to it from starting as a prebuilt were purchased to replace a 6 year old laptop that has been having issues and no longer is reliable or powerful enough for my needs both school or gaming/personal.

I'm doing my college entirely online and it's school policy so far as I've ever seen that computer trouble is not an excuse for having trouble completing coursework.

So I hope you'll excuse me for getting a new computer after 6 years with the old one and customizing it to my liking.  ?   Also I'd think any person on LTT can agree that learning to build and replace parts on your own computer is a useful skill to have at a bare minimum so I can not only have a better computer for less money than a prebuilt but also reduce the chance of wasting money taking my computer to somewhere like geek squad to get parts replaced.

The results varied a bit between tries but this is what I got from the speed test:

Spoiler

image.jpeg

43 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Very long 

many snip

wow

also fuck snipping on mobile why

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You're going about it wrong.  Don't comment on how slow it is, that is just telling him that he cant pick the internet package.  This can QUICKLY be seen as a way of saying "You don't know how to pick a internet package" instead of "I want to upgrade the package".

Regardless, if you have a old package that hasn't been updated to their new offerings...  Then that is a simple issue.  Otherwise, you might want to fix your current connection.

If anything I believe he either doesn't want to accept that our internet is slow because it would make him seem stupid for not realizing that himself or more likely he just doesn't care if it's slow because because he only cares about himself.

His attitude about things in general clearly shows a bias against other people's feelings and needs.  So long as he's happy or something benefits him my father simply doesn't give a damn about anyone else.  

Like blocking the driveway with his car.  He knows other people could need to leave and from past incidents is aware of the trouble this behavior has caused including making people late to go see movies or get to appointments yet he continues to cause trouble.  When someone asks nicely for him to move his car he gets belligerent and acts like he's being asked to do some unreasonable task like chop off an arm.  But when he wants something he acts like he snaps his fingers and the world should be at his command.  I wish I was lying truly I do.  

I sometimes wonder if his issues with me are partly out of jealousy about my superior education level.  This is a fact that he is the lowest educated member of my immediate family.  My mother, brother, and I all have at least a bachelors degree with my brother and I currently in grad school for a masters degree.  While my father has only some mechanic training I think (he used to work for an airline fixing planes and then as a maintenance inspector before being laid off and eventually ending up with some other non-plane related inspector job) and some associate degree for physical therapy assistant. (a degree he never got a required certification license for and has never once tried to make use of to get a job) 

My father frequently criticizes my mother, brother, and my degrees worth/validity as a means to make use seem stupid despite our college degrees.  A favorite comment is something implying the person being insulted is an idiot/crazy and accompanied by a snide suggestion that we attempt to get the college to give us a refund for the degree the person has.  

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If anything I believe he either doesn't want to accept that our internet is slow because it would make him seem stupid for not realizing that himself or more likely he just doesn't care if it's slow because because he only cares about himself.

His attitude about things in general clearly shows a bias against other people's feelings and needs.  So long as he's happy or something benefits him my father simply doesn't give a damn about anyone else.  

Like blocking the driveway with his car.  He knows other people could need to leave and from past incidents is aware of the trouble this behavior has caused including making people late to go see movies or get to appointments yet he continues to cause trouble.  When someone asks nicely for him to move his car he gets belligerent and acts like he's being asked to do some unreasonable task like chop off an arm.  But when he wants something he acts like he snaps his fingers and the world should be at his command.  I wish I was lying truly I do.  

I sometimes wonder if his issues with me are partly out of jealousy about my superior education level.  This is a fact that he is the lowest educated member of my immediate family.  My mother, brother, and I all have at least a bachelors degree with my brother and I currently in grad school for a masters degree.  While my father has only some mechanic training I think (he used to work for an airline fixing planes and then as a maintenance inspector before being laid off and eventually ending up with some other non-plane related inspector job) and some associate degree for physical therapy assistant. (a degree he never got a required certification license for and has never once tried to make use of to get a job) 

My father frequently criticizes my mother, brother, and my degrees worth/validity as a means to make use seem stupid despite our college degrees.  A favorite comment is something implying the person being insulted is an idiot/crazy and accompanied by a snide suggestion that we attempt to get the college to give us a refund for the degree the person has.  

You know... you could just degrade the performance of the network until he does realize it...

Spoiler

If it's DSL and you have multiple lines then yes or you can go with cable. I use a DSL line for iptv boxes and cable for pc

6 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You know... you could just degrade the performance of the network until he does realize it...

He only uses the Internet for basic web browsing, email, and once in a blue moon to download a song or two from iTunes I think.  Anything above dial-up is overkill for him.  lol

6 minutes ago, Modus said:

If it's DSL and you have multiple lines then yes or you can go with cable. I use a DSL line for iptv boxes and cable for pc

It's time warner or whatever they're called now.  Idk which that is.  

Move out. Problem solved.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

2 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Move out. Problem solved.

I like your member title, but you should add 'except the frigidaire' or whatever refrigerator is popular these days.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Yes, you can do that. We had two lines in to our house at one point. The better option would really be to offer to pay for an upgraded internet plan, rather than just installing your own line. Of course, if he says no to you paying for the upgrade, see if he's okay with you paying for your own line. 

As far as I know, you can't actually install your own line without his permission, as the line coming in will require a hole to be drilled in the wall, requiring the home owner's permission to do so. 

10 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, you can do that. We had two lines in to our house at one point. The better option would really be to offer to pay for an upgraded internet plan, rather than just installing your own line. Of course, if he says no to you paying for the upgrade, see if he's okay with you paying for your own line. 

As far as I know, you can't actually install your own line without his permission, as the line coming in will require a hole to be drilled in the wall, requiring the home owner's permission to do so. 

At this point I'm mostly just curious about is it possible or not.  I wouldn't be able to afford this atm.  

That's partly why if I actually would try to do this eventually that I'd start by looking into our existing provider in case they would just be able to make use of our existing wiring or whatever to make setting up my own service simpler.