AMD's 'RYZEN' Detailed - Octacore, 3.4GHz + & Dynamic Overclocking

HKZeroFive
17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

They did it intentionally. Note why they did not compare it with i7 6900k

They did. They had 3 systems, 6900K, 6700K and Ryzen. 6900K and Ryzen where playing and streaming without issues, the 6700K was having problems streaming.

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Seems like the marketing gnomes got you by the balls.

Nah, you gotta pay extra for that.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

omg this thread blew up fast...

nvm I see what happened....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

omg this thread blew up fast...

And it's not even made by Samsung....

Spoiler

I'll show myself the door :(

AMD next focus is, how to make their live stream better. It was lame as hell, just like their last one. xD

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

why would they not show frame rates in BF1 smh. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3149051/components/amd-offers-more-proof-that-zen-now-renamed-ryzen-is-its-best-chip-in-a-decade.html

"there running about the same" 

ok

"using titans"

We wanted to show how well nvidia and amd works

Thats a poor excuse to cover there asses that they havent released higher end cards. 

Could it be that they chose Nvidia because of lower driver overhead so it's a bit less CPU dependent.

AMD GPU drivers are known for putting more work on the CPU compared to Nvidia so even if Zen CPU is a bit slower than 6900k, it can't be noticed without some precise measuring tools like fps counters (that were left out in that test).

Just a theory of course.

1 minute ago, Mister Snow said:

Could it be that they chose Nvidia because of lower driver overhead so it's a bit less CPU dependent.

AMD GPU drivers are known for putting more work on the CPU compared to Nvidia so even if Zen CPU is a bit slower than 6900k, it can't be noticed without some precise measuring tools like fps counters (that were left out in that test).

Just a theory of course.

pretty sure they said it was running on dx12?

2 minutes ago, Mister Snow said:

Just a theory of course.

Maybe they just pulled a Linus and said "we're not going to run a 4K gaming demo on a $200 GPU" :P 

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

pretty sure they said it was running on dx12?

Than it shouldn't matter I guess.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Maybe they just pulled a Linus and said "we're not going to run a 4K gaming demo on a $200 GPU" :P 

Could be. :D

6 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Die shrinks mean lower clock speed. That's why the 4790k could squeak out 5ghz but the 6700k can barely squeak out 4.8ghz

Oh so the Pentium IIIs on 250nm were supposed to hit 10GHz? :P

Really, I don't get why you're saying that. There's not even a trend, Sandy and Ivy hit lower clocks than Haswell.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

49 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

idk know why but i feel like this is AMDs bulldozer 2.0 :/ Hopefully not. 

it don't think this will be bulldozer . No reason for it to happen . for a few reasons .

-The 32nm process Bulldozer was made on had many problems before launch. Zen uses samsung's proven 14nm LPP process.

-Bulldozer's development started in 2006 , when the future of software multithreading was very uncertain . AMD made the wrong choices.But Zen started development in 2012 . Software development in 2012 was very similar to how how it is now.

-Globalfoundires and AMD both had management issues at the time ( mainly because of the GLOBALFOUNDRIES spinoff ) . this isn't the case anymore and both companies have a strong leadership.

-The core was unorthodox , as it used CMT. Apart from the scheduler issues , this can have issues that were not addressed in bulldozer .Zen uses a standard core layout.

-Bulldozer was designed to ramp up in frequency ( just like the p4 ) . Zen isn't.

-Efficiency is much more important now than in the 2006-2009 timeframe.

-Bulldozer was a very large chip .

-Bullodzer wasn't made piece by piece . Most of it's design was automated , which can result in poorer performance than necessary.

-Jim Keller .

Plus , AMD is acting very differently from how they were in 2010 . At the time , they were very secretive , barely let go any information and bulldozer was delayed significantly . Even the investors were pissed off .

This is far from the case now.

I mean apart from bulldozer , AMD has always produced decent chips . The worse i can think of apart from bulldozer was phenom , and that wasn't even that bad. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Not really into the whole wanting 8 cores. I'm pretty happy with 4 in my desktop for now. That said I'm really interested to see how good APUs will be with Ryzen. AMD's integrated graphics are lightyears ahead of intel's and I long for the ability to replace my dedicated graphics modules with a single APU. 

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Not really into the whole wanting 8 cores. I'm pretty happy with 4 in my desktop for now. That said I'm really interested to see how good APUs will be with Ryzen. AMD's integrated graphics are lightyears ahead of intel's and I long for the ability to replace my dedicated graphics modules with a single APU. 

Tell that to people who invested on X99 chipset

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Tell that to people who invested on X99 chipset

It's just not my cup of tea is all. I like to have simplicity with my rig. Y'know making it cheaper, physically smaller and use less power while hopefully still have the performance to play my favorite games at 1920x1080p. 

19 hours ago, Energycore said:

You're right, to an extent. Given the same TDP, more cores mean lower clocks. I'm wondering though, why Broadwell-E can't hit clocks as high as Haswell-E, even given the same core count. That seems backwards.

Not sure whether someone's answered you or not but it's the exact same reason as why some P10 chips consumes less power or any wafer overclocks better than the rest (known as winning the silicon lottery), it's all about how 14nm is still new-ish and manufacturing processes aren't great just yet. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Well, looks really good so far, kinda expected some fps showings and price but oh well. We'll see it soon, they also said they need to optimize boost clock performance or so.
It will be very exciting launch though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

27 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I suspect that within 2-3 years, we'll see a fist 4 core I3, a 6 core I5 and 8 core is going to become the norm for a gaming rig.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not sure whether someone's answered you or not but it's the exact same reason as why some P10 chips consumes less power or any wafer overclocks better than the rest (known as winning the silicon lottery), it's all about how 14nm is still new-ish and manufacturing processes aren't great just yet. 

Oh you're right. That would explain Haswell Refresh CPUs hitting higher clocks than Haswell (also better temps I think).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Oh you're right. That would explain Haswell Refresh CPUs hitting higher clocks than Haswell (also better temps I think).

Better (and more consistent) overclocks come from a better power delivery system in Devils Canyon (and higher clocks from Haswell Refresh come from a refined process). Better temps come from a better TIM. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

21 hours ago, Notional said:

Now price is the discerning factor.

i have no idea while people think amd will massively undercut intel, they can't afford too if it performs like an intel it will be priced close to an intel.

Where they will make or break is the low end desktop chips where the majority of systems are. Get a 4 core at i3 prices would really get the cash flowing.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i have no idea while people think amd will massively undercut intel, they can't afford too if it performs like an intel it will be priced close to an intel.

Where they will make or break is the low end desktop chips where the majority of systems are. Get a 4 core at i3 prices would really get the cash flowing.

Besides a few outliers amd consistently undercut intel by decent margins since the early 90s. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX