AMD's 'RYZEN' Detailed - Octacore, 3.4GHz + & Dynamic Overclocking

HKZeroFive
4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i have no idea while people think amd will massively undercut intel, they can't afford too if it performs like an intel it will be priced close to an intel.

Where they will make or break is the low end desktop chips where the majority of systems are. Get a 4 core at i3 prices would really get the cash flowing.

Sure mainstream is good, but you have to factor in, that profits are much much higher on the high-end products. So even if they sell fewer, they can make a lot of money. Intel's prices are running amok, by far too high (1700$ for a 10 core?). People should be fed up with Intel and their prices by now. If AMD can beat Intel in price to performance, while having performance very close to Intel, AMD will grab a huge market share.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Besides a few outliers amd consistently undercut intel by decent margins since the early 90s. 

Not by much. They're always fairly similar.

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

Sure mainstream is good, but you have to factor in, that profits are much much higher on the high-end products. So even if they sell fewer, they can make a lot of money. Intel's prices are running amok, by far too high (1700$ for a 10 core?). People should be fed up with Intel and their prices by now. If AMD can beat Intel in price to performance, while having performance very close to Intel, AMD will grab a huge market share.

The vast majority of profit is made from enterprise and the average consumer. The enthusiast is basically irrelevant except for driving hype.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

21 hours ago, Notional said:

Now price is the discerning factor.

And actual performance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, RagnarokDel said:

I suspect that within 2-3 years, we'll see a fist 4 core I3, a 6 core I5 and 8 core is going to become the norm for a gaming rig.

Some predictions you got there. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

So when I first saw this on Reddit, I thought, 'How are you supposed to pronounce that? Is it "Rye-zen" or is it "Ri-zen"?'. It's a rather weird name choice in my honest opinion but it could've been far, far worse. And yes AMD, I saw what you did there.

With that out of the way, it's another week so that automatically means more AMD Zen news whether you like it or not. This time, AMD has highlighted a few vital pieces of information about their octacore CPU that I'll outline in this thread. It'll be a similar format to the Crimson ReLive one I did the other day which seemed to well-received. Hope this one helps you guys as well.

RYZEN-8C-16T-900x509.jpg

OCTACORE - 8 CORES, 16 THREADS

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It's been long known that AMD is preparing to tackle Intel's enthusiast lineup, specifically the i7 5960X/6900K. IPC gains were previously shown off in a not-so trustworthy Blender benchmark but it's clear that it's a good gain from their previous products. How it stacks up to the Blue Team... well, that remains to be seen in reputable and neutral benchmarks.

3.4GHz+

Okay, so here's where it starts to get iffy. Is 3.4GHz is the base clock or the boost clock? If it's the former, obviously it would be better and put it above the i7 6900K I believe when it comes to clockspeeds. That '+' sign just throws everyone off.

RYZEN-Smart-Prefetch-900x509.jpg

SMART PREFETCH

Sounds like Intel's 'Smart Cache' does it not? It does emphasise elements of 'learning' which remain somewhat ambiguous.

20MB COMBINED L2+L3 CACHE

Practically the same as the i7 5960X and i7 6900K IIRC.

RYZEN-XFR-900x509.jpg

XFR - EXTENDED FREQUENCY RANGE

Something new. It seems to work similarly to NVIDIA's GPU Boost in the sense that it will see any temperature overhead and automatically 'boost' or overclock the CPU in accordance with that. It's not quite the same as Intel's Turbo Boost although it's similar. It's a cool feature although irrelevant for enthusiasts or gamers who want to overclock their Zen CPUs themselves.

RYZEN-PurePower-900x509.jpg

RYZEN-Precision-Boost-900x509.jpg

PURE POWER & PRECISION BOOST

From what I'm getting, this seems to be some sort of overclocking software? 'Pure Power' seems to target the lowest amount of voltage for a certain level of performance. It seems the 'Distributed Embedded Sensors" monitor temps, voltage and frequency and send that info to what AMD calls "Infinity Control Fabric". 'Precision Boost' on the other hand seems to maintain the highest possible frequencies at a given voltage.

THOUGHTS

AMD's 'RYZEN' seems promising but it's honestly just trying to pick at the meat on the bones at this point. Fingers crossed for something to come out of the Q&A with the journos tomorrow but don't expect much to be coming out of the event itself. Launch dates, clockspeeds and most importantly, prices, remain to be seen. Ugh.

And remember... keep your expectations reasonable and don't get hyped. I'd hate to see people get disappointed that Zen didn't live up to their high expectations (although I might find some entertainment in that).

Source: http://videocardz.com/64741/ryzen

What about it's FPUs?  If 2 cores share the same FPU, that's a hardware bottleneck as ever.

1 minute ago, VPrime said:

What about it's FPUs?  If 2 cores share the same FPU, that's a hardware bottleneck as ever.

Same general design an pre-Bulldozer and Intel CPUs. One FPU per core.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Die shrinks mean lower clock speed. That's why the 4790k could squeak out 5ghz but the 6700k can barely squeak out 4.8ghz

@Lays Concrete evidence that your 5ghz 6700k is a sham. So are every other 5ghz 6700k on HWbot. I knew it!

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

@Lays Concrete evidence that your 5ghz 6700k is a sham. So are every other 5ghz 6700k on HWbot. I knew it!

I doubt that's on air cooling

Just now, potoooooooo said:

I doubt any 4790k at 5ghz is on air either. Haswell runs hotter with FIVR. 

12 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

It's on water, but I could probably run this oc with a high end air cooler like am nhd15

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 hours ago, Lays said:

It's on water, but I could probably run this oc with a high end air cooler like am nhd15

Yours is actually one of the coolest 5ghz i7's I've seen. You ran 48k and it didn't flinch, lol. Your's running 48k at 5ghz on a custom loop, runs cooler than mine at 4ghz on my ITX cooler. 

I'm willing to wait for Zen reviews before I buy my new CPU and board after seeing the event today. What's the worst that can happen, Zen is a big lie and I end up getting a 7700k after the prices are lowered from day one high price BS?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

On ‎13‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 4:09 AM, huilun02 said:

Why compare frequency when we don't know the IPC? Hope its good though. Waiting to see the SKU for Zen 4core with HT. 

I think the point of their benchmarks with comparison to an Intel chip at the same frequency with the same core count was to show that they match Intels IPC at this point in developement. (Which honestly would be impressive and much needed) I also hope that by starting with a blank sheet of paper they were able to get rid of the junk that accumulated from past chip iterations. This means they have room for developement in the future.

12 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

it don't think this will be bulldozer . No reason for it to happen . for a few reasons .

-The 32nm process Bulldozer was made on had many problems before launch. Zen uses samsung's proven 14nm LPP process.

-Bulldozer's development started in 2006 , when the future of software multithreading was very uncertain . AMD made the wrong choices.But Zen started development in 2012 . Software development in 2012 was very similar to how how it is now.

-Globalfoundires and AMD both had management issues at the time ( mainly because of the GLOBALFOUNDRIES spinoff ) . this isn't the case anymore and both companies have a strong leadership.

-The core was unorthodox , as it used CMT. Apart from the scheduler issues , this can have issues that were not addressed in bulldozer .Zen uses a standard core layout.

-Bulldozer was designed to ramp up in frequency ( just like the p4 ) . Zen isn't.

-Efficiency is much more important now than in the 2006-2009 timeframe.

-Bulldozer was a very large chip .

-Bullodzer wasn't made piece by piece . Most of it's design was automated , which can result in poorer performance than necessary.

-Jim Keller .

Plus , AMD is acting very differently from how they were in 2010 . At the time , they were very secretive , barely let go any information and bulldozer was delayed significantly . Even the investors were pissed off .

This is far from the case now.

I mean apart from bulldozer , AMD has always produced decent chips . The worse i can think of apart from bulldozer was phenom , and that wasn't even that bad. 

Hi , Phenom wasn't that bad . I'm using one now ( II X6 1055T ) xD

I think AMD is going to be the better choice again , I really hope that happens . 

2 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

I think AMD is going to be the better choice again , I really hope that happens . 

Phenom was kinda meh.  Phenom II was great (I'm also running an X6 still, which was too good for me to justify "upgrading" to FX).

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

8 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Phenom was kinda meh.  Phenom II was great (I'm also running an X6 still, which was too good for me to justify "upgrading" to FX).

Phenom was in line with Core2. Phenom II was in line with 1st gen core i. It's only since Bulldozer that we have this long-lasting gap.

6 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I overclocked my II X6 1055T to 4GHz B| but now , i'm using stock clock because i don' t have a good cooler but i'm still happy with my 1055t .

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Phenom was in line with Core2. Phenom II was in line with 1st gen core i. It's only since Bulldozer that we have this long-lasting gap.

True, Phenom II was a close match for 1st gen core i, just with moar coars.

Really the main things that are leaving it behind now are (lack of) power efficiency and the lack of more modern instruction sets.

If AMD decided to call Ryzen "Phenom III", they can just have my money. Who am I kidding, I'm gonna buy it anyways because I can't help myself.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 minute ago, Phate.exe said:

True, Phenom II was a close match for 1st gen core i, just with moar coars.

Really the main things that are leaving it behind now are (lack of) power efficiency and the lack of more modern instruction sets.

If AMD decided to call Ryzen "Phenom III", they can just have my money. Who am I kidding, I'm gonna buy it anyways because I can't help myself.

Back at phenom and phenom II days (when i didn't know much about computers :D) , power efficiency was't an important thing. The only important thing was performance .

52 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Back at phenom and phenom II days (when i didn't know much about computers :D) , power efficiency was't an important thing. The only important thing was performance .

Personally for me it still means nothing but if something has good power efficiency I won't be complaining, everyone wants different things so it's damn hard to please everyone :P.

6 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

it was actually meh . Not bad or anything , just meh .

It had the TLB bug , and it used more power than the C2D while not quite closing the gap in terms of performance .

It was fast , just not fast enough .

Phenom 2 fixed many issues with the OG phenom , but it was too little too late , because intel had the core i series by then.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

15 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

I'm willing to wait for Zen reviews before I buy my new CPU and board after seeing the event today. What's the worst that can happen, Zen is a big lie and I end up getting a 7700k after the prices are lowered from day one high price BS?

Thing is,  neither AMD nor Intel  can lie.  Everything they say is true (when taking context into consideration)  and they have to disclose information about the benchmarks they use,  although not necessarily in an obvious fashion.  In theory,  if amd claims x performance of a chip in application y with settings z,  you should get this  exact same results,  everything being equal. 

Its just not always relevant. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 hours ago, MageTank said:

Yours is actually one of the coolest 5ghz i7's I've seen. You ran 48k and it didn't flinch, lol. Your's running 48k at 5ghz on a custom loop, runs cooler than mine at 4ghz on my ITX cooler. 

Delidded is probably the main word you're looking for :P 

4 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

Phenom 2 wasn't bad to be fair, nor was bulldozer (and whatever FXx1xx CPUs were called) as ya know, a 8320 is able to beat a 6600K at a few specific scenarios ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 12/13/2016 at 10:42 AM, crystal6tak said:

So AMD's CPU gets equivalent of Nvidia's GPU boost before AMD's GPU.

Oh what the hell xD

NO AMDs is better because they have a actual CPU to put it on that runs in a PC

On 12/12/2016 at 8:53 PM, HKZeroFive said:

Sounds like Intel's 'Smart Cache' does it not? It does emphasise elements of 'learning' which remain somewhat ambiguous.

This ArsTechnica article has stated that the "smart cache" includes a neural network to manage instruction prefetching/ordering/branch prediction. Which leaves me with many questions. Like, what is the control unit architecture? Don't you need a small, full computer to run a neural network fast enough to manage a processor? Are they exaggerating? 

I really want to know how their control unit works now. And not just a high level explanation, I want to know very deeply how it works.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME