AMD silently nerfing the performance of older GCN cards

Repost
6 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Again. No proof of that. Only if by "gimped" you mean slowed driver support then yes. But thats too be expected when you completely change an architecture and how the GPU renders.

I specifically remember my 970 outperforming the 780ti on w3 launch, and driver updates making it worse for a while. Meanwhile I could make it playable on a 6870 at medium 1080p 30fps. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/36ysva/witcher_3_on_a_really_old_amd_card_youre_all/

I didn't realize it until after that thread, so I tried a gtx 580 and couldn't make the game playable at launch. That's fucking backwards, and while i think it's somewhat been fixed, that is not the only time NVIDIA has done that. Best part, I noticed downgrading the drivers to pre-witcher 3 launch seemed to make the performance much better on the 580, and I heard it was true on the 780ti as well. And, at that time, the 980ti was launched along with the w3 drivers which made your driver crash often on the desktop (games were fine) and this wasn't fixed for months. A 970 owner like myself at the time could roll back, but 980ti owners had to suffer. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have to wonder if there is a legitimate reason to disable this feature on GCN 1.0, which if there is should have been made VERY clear when doing so. It may have been found that while AMD themselves initially thought it was 100% compliant many developers might have been reporting issues with cards based on this architecture and having to do specific tweaks/disables to solve them, an unusable buggy feature might as well be disabled as it saves everyone the hassle.

Also could be that continuing support on GCN 1.0 is hindering future development and utilization of async-compute due to hardware limitations only found in this architecture with no clean way to distinguish between these and newer cards, driver reports the feature is supported so all cards are equal right? (Yes that was a simplistic generalization)

There is no point in complaining about a feature getting disabled if it was never able to be utilized in the first place, either being no performance gain or it never really worked anyway. Think of it like the old "Turbo Button" on Pentium computers, it NEVER did anything and anyway it was originally designed to slow systems down not speed them up lol.

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

AMD changed the names from GCN 1.X to X somewhere during the announcement stuff of polaris.

So instead of polais having GCN 1.4 it has GCN 4.

Actually The Whole GCN 1.x Was The Tech Press's Doing.  AMD Always Talked Of "next Gen GCN",  But Didn't Actually Name Them.  Was Some Article About It A While Before Polaris Launch

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Yet the latest drivers will apparently allow for wattman to be used with the 200/300/Fury series?

Only the R9 285 was specified out of the 280 series, that is a tonga gpu, and the 380 that is basically the 285. No tahiti cards were mentioned at the new driver announcement, so not many of the new goodies will be available for these older cards.

The site has changed....

Ayyye why AMD?

Too bad I didn't believe nvidia nerfed their older gen cards. And now i can't talk smack about amd.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Even if we assume that was true, it still does not address all the other hypocrisies I brought up.

Hypocrisies or strawmen? There are far more Nvidia defenders than AMD fans on this forum.

2 hours ago, Kwee said:

You misunderstand or the website make you believe that but that not the truth.

You're the one misunderstanding. What's he's saying is the reason AMD disabled it (in the driver, affecting all games) is apparently that it ran into issues in that particular game.

If that is in fact the explanation, it's an understandable but still not great move. Fix a critical issue in one game while perhaps losing a bit of performance in a lot of other games...

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You're the one misunderstanding. What's he's saying is the reason AMD disabled it (in the driver, affecting all games) is apparently that it ran into issues in that particular game.

If that is in fact the explanation, it's an understandable but still not great move. Fix a critical issue in one game while perhaps losing a bit of performance in a lot of other games...

I'm the one who write the original post, what he saying doesn't exist. Oxide never communicate on that and the desactivation of Async Compute appear recently in newest drivers. 

1 hour ago, jimakos234 said:

Only the R9 285 was specified out of the 280 series, that is a tonga gpu, and the 380 that is basically the 285. No tahiti cards were mentioned at the new driver announcement, so not many of the new goodies will be available for these older cards.

AMD-Crimson-ReLive-VideoCardz-57.jpg

I beg to differ. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I beg to differ. 

where do you see tahiti in this photo? keep in mind 285!=280/280X/7970/7950

290/390 hawaii

380/285 tonga

r9/r7 260/360 bonaire

you only confirmed what i was saying, that tahiti is not included

The site has changed....

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I beg to differ. 

Might wanna look again homie.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

AMD...... Don't start with this bullshit. I was going to give you a chance come the 490 and or the Fury equivalent........

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

#amd #likeafinewine

seems like just yesterday amd was the budget hero for increasing 480 performance... oh wait.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Jesus christ, I can't trust any hardware vendor these days. Why the flying fuck would you do this AMD, at least Nvidia's conspiracy for nerfing cards wasn't so obvious. Someone needs to start a 3rd vendor and just not do anti-consumer shit like this.

Edit: If they had to do this for driver or bug reasons I guess it's passable but honestly they should be able to issue seperate driver forks (or internally distinguish them) if need be. I have a feeling this isn't the case...

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Really disappointing to see if this is true. I don't mind older cards being sidelined to make it easier for new cards to get the frequent updates, but some GCN 1.0 cards are just over a year old...

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

Really disappointing to see if this is true. I don't mind older cards being sidelined to make it easier for new cards to get the frequent updates, but some GCN 1.0 cards are just over a year old...

You have mixed there something. The last 1.0 cards were 280/280X. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hm was it a certain reason something. I have R9 290 and didn't see any difference.

290 is gcn2 and thus unaffected ,

as I sayd earlier gcn1 cards don't even update to 16.9.2 only to 16.7.3 and thus are not really that affected irl , only if you run the latest driver it is not going to update natively you will "nerf" the card , in like 2 games

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

9 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Think of it this way, how would people react if Nvidia blocked something like tesslation features on the maxwell cards, thus lowering performance 20%

PhysX requires Cuda3 or higher , wich means 600 or 700 series cards or higher , async requires GCN2 or higher , wich means R9 290 or R9 300 series and up

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

OMG a company trying to get people to buy newer stuff that's outrageous, not surprised nvidea does it so why not not like other companies do the same thing.

6 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Might wanna look again homie.

6 hours ago, jimakos234 said:

where do you see tahiti in this photo? keep in mind 285!=280/280X/7970/7950

290/390 hawaii

380/285 tonga

r9/r7 260/360 bonaire

you only confirmed what i was saying, that tahiti is not included

Ok, I'll give you that, it was about 2am when I posted that :P But I still disproved your last point, saying 'not many of these goodies will be availible for older cards'. It's pretty much everything that wasn't a part of the original 7000 series launch (which was 2012~, the bonaire chip was launched in 2013).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

You have mixed there something. The last 1.0 cards were 280/280X. 

Well the 370/X along with the 350 and below are GCN 1.0. I'm sure there wouldn't be too many of those out there but it's still pretty unfortunate.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

9 hours ago, Kwee said:

I'm the one who write the original post, what he saying doesn't exist. Oxide never communicate on that and the desactivation of Async Compute appear recently in newest drivers. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/806617175037513728

you sir have some explaining to do. And also some drivers to uninstall with DDU

6 hours ago, Swatson said:

Jesus christ, I can't trust any hardware vendor these days. Why the flying fuck would you do this AMD, at least Nvidia's conspiracy for nerfing cards wasn't so obvious. Someone needs to start a 3rd vendor and just not do anti-consumer shit like this.

Edit: If they had to do this for driver or bug reasons I guess it's passable but honestly they should be able to issue seperate driver forks (or internally distinguish them) if need be. I have a feeling this isn't the case...

trusting any corporation is the biggest fallacy right after believing the earth is flat and that there is a massive secret patriarchy actively trying to oppress and rape western first world women

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

I have to wonder if there is a legitimate reason to disable this feature on GCN 1.0,

I think that GCN 1.0 cards have bad asynchronous compute support since IIRC, GCN 1.1 was touted as having vastly superior Asynchronous Compute.

Also could be that continuing support on GCN 1.0 is hindering future development and utilization of async-compute due to hardware limitations only found in this architecture

Kind of. AFAIK Developers who optimize for AMD specifically in their games (like Hitman) need to write slightly different code for each architectural overhaul which specifically references the architecture and it's features.

with no clean way to distinguish between these and newer cards

AMD's Dev tools easily differentiates them and their drivers enable specific features depending on what GCN architecture version they are using.

For example, GCN 1.3/3 (whatever you want to call it) has improved tessellation. Meanwhile GCN 1.0 may have worse tessellation performance.

1 hour ago, Carclis said:

Well the 370/X along with the 350 and below are GCN 1.0. I'm sure there wouldn't be too many of those out there but it's still pretty unfortunate.

Everybody should be thankful that they discontinued non GCN cards with the 300 series.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),