Batteries from Diamond Encapsulated Nuclear Waste

Via: https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/28/diamonds-convert-nuclear-waste-into-batteries/

Source: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2016/november/diamond-power.html

University of Bristol has a proof of concept for generating electrical charge by encapsulating specific nuclear materials in synthetic diamonds, as the diamond blocks and absorbs the radiation is produces electricity. Offering low voltage solutions that could last millenia.

Professor Scott added: “We envision these batteries to be used in situations where it is not feasible to charge or replace conventional batteries. Obvious applications would be in low-power electrical devices where long life of the energy source is needed, such as pacemakers, satellites, high-altitude drones or even spacecraft.

“There are so many possible uses that we’re asking the public to come up with suggestions of how they would utilise this technology by using #diamondbattery.

Obvious hurdles are cost and manufacturing, which would hopefully be assuaged with time and iterative improvements. But, this could also open the doors for other nuclear waste to be used in similar manners. While there was no release on voltage or amperage of the power produced we can probably assume it is under a volt, and likely in the milliamps, if that much, but the longevity would provide a lot of value for those situations where access is limited or dangerous to maintain a power system.

Despite their low-power, relative to current battery technologies, the life-time of these diamond batteries could revolutionise the powering of devices over long timescales.  Using carbon-14 the battery would take 5,730 years to reach 50 per cent power, which is about as long as human civilization has existed.

Video in the Spoiler

Spoiler

Cool now I can have a nuclear meltdown in my pocket. 

On on a more serious note this is a very interesting idea, but I wonder how well the diamond could hold up.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

imagine this on a large scale as in mobile phone batteries, probably you die before phone battery needs a replacement,

Edit: wonder if this thing can be implemented on wrist watches, would be cool

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

imagine this on a large scale as in mobile phone batteries, probably you die before phone battery needs a replacement,

Edit: wonder if this thing can be implemented on wrist watches, would be cool

Probably not, looks like something that would power very simple and miniscule devices. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

49 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

snip

The band gap for diamond is over 5eV so the voltage will likely be at least 5V. Which is probably why it is of interest in the first place.

I can lead a discussion into RTGs and the whole thermophotovoltaic process if anyone is super interested, but yes the current will be EXTREMELY low.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, by all means put nuclear waste near some old dude's hearth

he's gonna die anyways, so why not?!

You say that, but before the development of Lithium ion batteries, nuclear batteries were actually one of the BEST choices for patient health and longevity. Now the power constraints aren't so high (the power to run a pacemaker has dropped two orders of magnitude in the last 30 years), and the downsides of the particular nuclear batteries used are still the same so they are not made new, but there are still a decent number in use world wide.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1502062/#R1

This isn't even comparable to that process though.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

In fact, diamond is the hardest substance known to man, there is literally nothing we could use that could offer more protection.

I take issue with that because I searched on YouTube for "shattering diamonds" and apparently you can shatter one with a well placed blow using an ordinary hammer.

The other part I'm skeptical about is how much current this will provide.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I take issue with that because I searched on YouTube for "shattering diamonds" and apparently you can shatter one with a well placed blow using an ordinary hammer.

The other part I'm skeptical about is how much current this will provide.

Diamonds cleave technically (and rather easily in fact, their toughness is only around 2MPa, even when their tensile strength is well over 60-200 GPa). 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

then comes samsung and the mass moves from C4 to nukes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Hard to come up with use-cases if we don't know what the output of one of these batteries is. Also, wouldn't output increase with a larger version of these diamond?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

yes, by all means put nuclear waste near some old dude's hearth

he's gonna die anyways, so why not?!

When was the last battery that was safe for the human body? Aside from potatoes what power sources are safe to have floating around in the human body? Even Li-Ion aren't safe. This kind of radiation in such a diamond carapace is safer than most anything else we could use. On top of not having to cut back into people to replace them.

blog-diamonds-various.jpg

+

radioactive-june14.jpg

=

money-animated-gif-4.gif (450×338)

Unless its man made diamonds that is and the nuclear waste is, well, worthless waste lol?

Groomlake Authority

47 minutes ago, elkenrod said:

Nobody is asking any of the important questions........

like how many Rads/Sec will they produce

:)

Like most other consumer nuclear products, the actual radiation emitted from them are likely negligible, or would be upon any sort of public release.

The American Nuclear Society is currently advising healthy skepticism at this release at the moment. Apparently none of us have been able to get more detailed math/calculations on the report, but current efficiencies being estimated are around .00076 mW/g which for almost anything isn't useful (although it actually could be for the aforementioned pacemaker use which only needs to provide 25 uW).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Throw in a Capacitor or three, and you'll have the TV remote that never dies. Cmos battery as well? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

How about smoke detectors / carbon monoxide detectors that last forever? No more annoying beeps when the 9v battery dies. 

Side Note: Actually doesn't affect me, I have hardwired detectors ;)

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

9 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

How about smoke detectors / carbon monoxide detectors that last forever? No more annoying beeps when the 9v battery dies. 

Side Note: Actually doesn't affect me, I have hardwired detectors ;)

I remember how my friends used to always have to tell me to shut my smoke detector up because they'd constantly hear beeping in skype calls.. Meanwhile I just became so used to it I just didn't hear it anymore 

35 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I remember how my friends used to always have to tell me to shut my smoke detector up because they'd constantly hear beeping in skype calls.. Meanwhile I just became so used to it I just didn't hear it anymore 

They get pretty annoying. The nice detectors now come with Lithium type batteries that last 10 years. Not a bad deal, since you wont be replacing batteries every year.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

5 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

blog-diamonds-various.jpg

+

radioactive-june14.jpg

=

money-animated-gif-4.gif (450×338)

Unless its man made diamonds that is and the nuclear waste is, well, worthless waste lol?

Post says synthetic diamonds, soo

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

9 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

When was the last battery that was safe for the human body? Aside from potatoes what power sources are safe to have floating around in the human body? Even Li-Ion aren't safe. This kind of radiation in such a diamond carapace is safer than most anything else we could use. On top of not having to cut back into people to replace them.

potatoes only generate power when raw. Raw potatoes can carry different forms of acides and toxins from the ground that can harm you. This is part why we boil potatos.

11 hours ago, shermantanker said:

On on a more serious note this is a very interesting idea, but I wonder how well the diamond could hold up.

On a more serious note

Note

I see what you did there

15 hours ago, shermantanker said:

Probably not the diamond keeps them from leaking any radiation and it has a half-life of 5730 years. meaning it will take almost 6K years before the battery hits 50% left. They failed to mention just how much of a current they produce but I would assume it isn't much.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The American Nuclear Society is currently advising healthy skepticism at this release at the moment. Apparently none of us have been able to get more detailed math/calculations on the report, but current efficiencies being estimated are around .00076 mW/g which for almost anything isn't useful (although it actually could be for the aforementioned pacemaker use which only needs to provide 25 uW).

This.

Alternatively if you want more kek, wait for Thunderf00t to debunk it.

-------

Current Rig

-------