£5 Paper Bicycle Helmet wins the 2016 Dyson Award

Master Disaster

So for those who don't know, each year Dyson pick out a new tech invention to win an award of £30,000 to support the inventor in getting the invention to market.

This year James Dyson picked out a fairly mind boggling invention, the paper bicycle helmet. The premise is simple, the inventor wanted to create a helmet that could be sold cheaply in cities with bike sharing schemes so riders didn't have to go helmetless, that was strong enough to protect the wearer and foldable so it could be stored away when you get off the bike.

A recyclable, folding cycling helmet made of paper has won this year's international James Dyson Award.

The EcoHelmet is designed for people who use bike-sharing schemes and might not always have a helmet with them.

Designer Isis Shiffer is delighted with the win but admits that a paper helmet may be a "tough sell".

She describes herself as an "ardent but slow" cyclist and came up with the idea when she was using bike-sharing schemes around the world.

"When I was exploring new cities I had no access to a helmet and I didn't want to spend $30 buying one," she told the BBC.

She decided to design one, made of cheap, recyclable materials that would cost less than $5.

The helmet uses a honeycomb structure to protect the head which, according to Ms Shiffer, is "incredibly good at absorbing impact".

"They have a test rig for helmets and the professor in charge of the lab let me test out a lot of materials.

It turns out it was a lot of fun. There is a frame with an anvil on the bottom and an accelerometer to measure speed and impact," explained Ms Shiffer.

"It is so solid and everyone who had held it in their hands is surprised about how solid it is," she said.

_92472150_dyson3.jpg

Ms Shiffer will receive £30,000 to further develop the helmet. Describing it as "the holy grail" of design awards, she said that she was "astonished" to win it.

She hopes to pilot the new helmet in New York in the spring, possibly offering it free to bike-share users at first.

The helmet is designed for a limited number of uses and will deteriorate and weaken over time, especially if carried around at the bottom of a bag. The final design is likely to have a visible stripe that will wear off when it is time to throw it away or a clip that ceases to work after a certain amount of time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38004215

You've gotta be impressed by that TBH, a helmet made entirely out of paper that supposedly works, is cheap, foldable and recyclable too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I wonder how it'd hold up in the rain

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

You know, that's a damn good question.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Bike "Helmet". 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

can be useful in a pinch I suppose, as long as it meets the safety requirements no problem.

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Judging by it's price it's a throwaway solution.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

8 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Not that driving a bicycle in the rain is a clever idea as it is. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

this thing will never actually protect you as much as a real helmet, not that you really need it because most of the injury's with biking in the city come from accidents and are injury's to the neck. but whatever. there's a reason only kids in the netherlands wear helmets.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

this thing will never actually protect you as much as a real helmet, not that you really need it because most of the injury's with biking in the city come from accidents and are injury's to the neck. but whatever. there's a reason only kids in the netherlands wear helmets.

Kids in German and Belgium wear helmets, they need to.

Nobody wears helmets around here.

May the force be with you - Yoda

Just now, itsMilan said:

Kids in German and Belgium wear helmets, they need to.

Nobody wears helmets around here.

yea exactly i understand kids, they are growing and not in proper control of their body because they don't know their dimensions yet, or elderly who can easily fall. i mean the product is cool and innovative but i don't really see the market for it, and i doubt its as sturdy as a real helmet.

As a normal helmet, then it's probably pretty bad. Since it would have to deal with every day situations, such as rain and such.

But for events/school trips, etc. Then this should be good enough as a throw-away item.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

yea exactly i understand kids, they are growing and not in proper control of their body because they don't know their dimensions yet, or elderly who can easily fall. i mean the product is cool and innovative but i don't really see the market for it, and i doubt its as sturdy as a real helmet.

Well, it's a good cheap solution and definitely better than nothing.

I think is pretty smart, and it earned to win the award.

But I also see that it  isn't a real safe helmet.

May the force be with you - Yoda

20 minutes ago, tlink said:

Helmets are a must have IMHO. I can tell you about the time where I had a nasty crash on my mountain bike and a metal spike from my pedals lodged itself in my helmet or that falling at 50 kph on a road bike an helmet can mean the difference between becoming a vegetable or not. 

Regarding paper, it is extremely tough. The Chinese even user paper armour that was very good against arrows and puncturing blows. It the paper is oiled it should hold in the rain which btw, is perfectly fine to ride in. I don'the know where you live but here in the UK if you don'the ride in the rain, you don'the ride at all.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Batista said:

Helmets are a must have IMHO. I can tell you about the time where I had a nasty crash on my mountain bike and a metal spike from my pedals lodged itself in my helmet or that falling at 50 kph on a road bike an helmet can mean the difference between becoming a vegetable or not. 

Regarding paper, it is extremely tough. The Chinese even user paper armour that was very good against arrows and puncturing blows. It the paper is oiled it should hold in the rain which btw, is perfectly fine to ride in. I don'the know where you live but here in the UK if you don'the ride in the rain, you don'the ride at all.

a mountain bike is not comparable to a normal bike, and i can assure you that nowhere in the world that is anyone biking at 50 km/h as a means of transport or sight seeing. and thats exactly what these helmets are meant for, tourists.

1 hour ago, RKRiley said:

if they put some sort of thin layer of plastic or wax on it it might hold

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So those decorations, that's hung during holidays, can now be a helmet?

Does is hold against the rain?

RTFA

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You know, that's a damn good question.

Yeah, especially here in the UK where it rains.. alot..

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Designer Isis Shiffer is delighted with the win but admits that a paper helmet may be a "tough sell".

All the people saying this obviously isn't as protective as a "real" helmet prove this point.

There's no reason this can't be just as protective as a traditional helmet. Paper can be incredibly strong depending on how it's made. Just think about the difference between manilla cards vs writing paper for an example. Modern helmets are as much about aesthetic and aerodynamics as they are about protection.

I'd actually argue that it's very possible this could be more protective than a traditional helmet if the paper is the right amount of strong, since it can probably crumple to absorb the impulse better than the hard foam used in a lot of traditional helmets (think crumple zones in cars).

Nobody needs a helmet to ride a bike on the street, only if your "special" do you really need one.

If your off roading / mt. biking then I will agree a helmet can be considered necessary but otherwise no.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

falling at 50 kph on a road bike an helmet can mean the difference between becoming a vegetable or not

There's 2 sides to this argument.  You can also fall hard enough with a helmet to turn into a vegetable whereas the same crash without a helmet would simply have killed you. 

Which of the 2 is the worst?  A quick death and a grieving process for your family/friends after which they can move on with their lives ... or spending the rest of your life unable to do anything and being a constant burden on them? 

You never can predict accidents or their aftermath.  What may seem the safest thing can in fact turn out to be the worst.

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

There's 2 sides to this argument.  You can also fall hard enough with a helmet to turn into a vegetable whereas the same crash without a helmet would simply have killed you. 

Which of the 2 is the worst?  A quick death and a grieving process for your family/friends after which they can move on with their lives ... or spending the rest of your life unable to do anything and being a constant burden on them? 

You never can predict accidents or their aftermath.  What may seem the safest thing can in fact turn out to be the worst.

That's the same argument that people use to justify not wearing seat belts. Sum it over all possibility space and there is still a huge net benefit to helmets.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

_92472150_dyson3.jpg

68e14851-ecfa-47ea-a68e-bc6417945e0b_1.5

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well knowing that if you ever fall on your head wile wearing a helmet it is recomended to replace it because of safety compromises in the design by the impact, and that good helmets cost a fair amount of any currency, this is a good thing to exist if it realy works like any other good helmet but for a fraction of the price, this is a good thing

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105