How to fund pc build?

Ben_Kyd
1 hour ago, Ben_Kyd said:

as i said, compromising the looks/power of the build is last resort - i have a compromised version for £900 ready if it comes to to.

but your motherboard is stupid, why have you got a z170 board with a locked cpu?

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

but your motherboard is stupid, why have you got a z170 board with a locked cpu?

I know, every thread i start with that link someone says that. the reasons:

a) it looks good

b) i'm going to get a 6600k or 6700k when i can afford it

c) read the comments before u speak

Main rig: Intel Core i7 7700k GeForce GTX 1880 |

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

3 hours ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

I highly doubt you will be able to get a grand for that PC. The solution really is getting a job, asking for money for your birthday etc. There are very few "shortcuts" to money.

If only there were I'd quit my job :P If only I were a stunning women I could snag me a sugar daddy :P

Like others have said try to get a cheaper build that has a decent upgrade path, don't shoot straight for the moon.

Try asking family and friends if they need any manual work doing (offer a decent price) washing cars, mowing lawns, washing windows, sweeping leaves, walking dogs, digging holes, anything really. Make sure you do a good job and they'll ask you back to do it again.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well it's the dual core basic skylake Pentium processor, it isn't bad in games, but the i5 6600k isn't too expensive so it only should take a few months to save up for it. It doesn't make much sense to buy a non K i5 then move to a K i5, maybe go with the i5 then move to a K i7, otherwise it's kinda a waste of money. 

I think the more cost effective option would be to save up for the processor you want instead of getting one you're going to upgrade anyway. If OP were old enough to have a regular job this would be fine, but I say save for that k processor vs using a pentium as a placeholder. 

16 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I think the more cost effective option would be to save up for the processor you want instead of getting one you're going to upgrade anyway. If OP were old enough to have a regular job this would be fine, but I say save for that k processor vs using a pentium as a placeholder. 

The Pentium doesn't really loose that much value as opposed to the normal i5's. given the pentium is like £70, it sells 2nd hand for £50-£60, idk what the basic i5's go for because the demand isn't there for the mid range stuff. 

Yours faithfully

Sorry mate I think you are going to have to accept that unless your parents/family buy it for you or give you the money, you're not going to be able to afford an expensive PC.

Like someone else said it would be lovely to have a Ferrari but realistically I would need a lot more money which I am not gonna get any time soon.

I spent £1500 on a gaming PC when I turned 18 as my parents had saved me a little pot of money for university - but I didn't go to university so I splashed all the money on a PC.

Now that I work full time and have a good income... I still wouldn't spent that kind of money on a computer again.

Hell for £1000 you can buy a car.

I would try to save up after a few birthdays/Christmases. Don't put your mind on any particular components as by the time you have the money, the product ranges will have changed. Just try to save a few hundred pounds from presents and see how it goes.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

i am into open-world games such as arma 3, so the pentium just wouldn't cut it, even with the 1060 i would get 20-30 fps (what i get now)

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The Pentium doesn't really loose that much value as opposed to the normal i5's. given the pentium is like £70, it sells 2nd hand for £50-£60, idk what the basic i5's go for because the demand isn't there for the mid range stuff. 

i am into open-world games such as arma 3, so the pentium just wouldn't cut it, even with the 1060 i would get 20-30 fps (what i get now)

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

1 minute ago, Ben_Kyd said:

ARMA 3 is very easy to run, a first generation i5 and GTX 260 can do it. You might be better off going for Haswell processor as they're still great but cheaper.b

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

ARMA 3 is very easy to run, a first generation i5 and GTX 260 can do it. You might be better off going for Haswell processor as they're still great but cheaper.b

i have i74970s and a 750m, game runs fine, but unlike people with good gpus but bad cpus the higher graphics settings the lower fps i get, my gpu is bottle-necking my cpu. arma is extraordinarily hard on the cpu

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

2 minutes ago, Ben_Kyd said:

i have i74970s and a 750m, game runs fine, but unlike people with good gpus but bad cpus the higher graphics settings the lower fps i get, my gpu is bottle-necking my cpu. arma is extraordinarily hard on the cpu

That is because the GTX 750m is quite under powered, yes the CPU will limit it a bit, but being real it's still better to go for the better GPU overall, 

Yours faithfully

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That is because the GTX 750m is quite under powered, yes the CPU will limit it a bit, but being real it's still better to go for the better GPU overall, 

9 hours ago, Unexas. said:

Get a job.

cheers mate

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

Just now, Unexas. said:

Its gonna be your best option.

i know, i have tried, no one will hire someone who is under 16 (im 14)

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

2 hours ago, Ben_Kyd said:

I know, every thread i start with that link someone says that. the reasons:

a) it looks good

b) i'm going to get a 6600k or 6700k when i can afford it

c) read the comments before u speak

This whole thread is hilarious. Let me sum it up.

Kid who refuses to get a job wants to spend a ton of money on a computer he doesn't need and wants said computer to "look good".

Time to grow up. Money doesn't grow on trees. Either get a job, compromise, or stop complaining. 

It's fall, go around to your neighbors and ask if they need leaves raked or grass cut/snow shoveled. 

You don't need to be 16 to get an under the table job, or to help out neighbors. 

4 minutes ago, Ben_Kyd said:

The problem with that is the game has pretty bad optimisation, so better hardware really won't help, the GPU usage at times was barely 70%, nothing will run that game competently until it's coded competently. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The problem with that is the game has pretty bad optimisation, so better hardware really won't help, the GPU usage at times was barely 70%, nothing will run that game competently until it's coded competently. 

i know. but a worse cpu isnt going to help is its a badly optimised game

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

58 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

This whole thread is hilarious. Let me sum it up.

Kid who refuses to get a job wants to spend a ton of money on a computer he doesn't need and wants said computer to "look good".

Time to grow up. Money doesn't grow on trees. Either get a job, compromise, or stop complaining. 

It's fall, go around to your neighbors and ask if they need leaves raked or grass cut/snow shoveled. 

You don't need to be 16 to get an under the table job, or to help out neighbors. 

ignoring the stuff about asking neighbours for help --

how easy do you think it is for a 14 year old to get a job?

They are not allowed to work on week days and only allowed to work 4 hours on Saturdays or 2 hours on Sundays. not to mention they are a CHILD, no sane employer is going to hire them. (no offence OP)

I would recommend babysitting though. You can charge them £5/hour, so that's usually £20 each time you babysit. It racks up quickly. I babysat regularly from 14-18, at one point babysitting 2-3 times every week, and was rolling in the money :) 

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Buy used.  I got an i5 760 from work for $35.

I got a Core 2 Quad 8300 for $12.

I got my GTX 780 for $159.  (the price of a 950)

You just have to look around.  But don't be afraid to buy older generation products, a lot of them are still very capable.  (For example, an HD 7970)

If you are looking for a budget and want cheap, the 860K (or 880K) are your friends.

As for a GPU, new and a good deal, RX 460 and 470, or the 1050 and 1050ti.

Otherwise, and I can't say it enough:

Buy used used used.

You're young and don't have a means of income.  Make compromises and look for good deals, both used and new stuff on sale.  You can make a pretty kick ass system that way.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

What do you need a more powerful pc for?

On 17/11/2016 at 9:29 AM, PeloyGeek said:

What do you need a more powerful pc for?

gaming, video making and rendering

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

Unless you have savings, are patient enough to save or can work, you're going to have to cut corners on the build.

My suggestions:

- MUCH cheaper motherboard. Seriously, you can save £100 there.

- Smaller HDD and SSD.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Unless you have savings, are patient enough to save or can work, you're going to have to cut corners on the build.

My suggestions:

- MUCH cheaper motherboard. Seriously, you can save £100 there.

- Smaller HDD and SSD.

yea, i do have backup part picker builds in case i don't manage to get the funds

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

On 11/16/2016 at 8:22 AM, Clanscorpia said:

1000 pounds is a bit ridiculous if you dont have a steady stream of income. Start with a cheaper build and move it up. Like mine, I compromised and spent like $900 I think but Im upgrading my motherboard and CPU in a year ish and getting 16GB of RAM as Im going to put the mobo and CPU in my brothers PC

$900 is not far off from $1000.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

28 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

$900 is not far off from $1000.

900 CAD is about 650 pounds

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0