successor to the Hubble Telescope is ready - the James Webb Space Telescope

source: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/final-sunshield-layer-completed-for-nasa-s-james-webb-space-telescope

The Webb telescope is the world’s next-generation space observatory and successor to the Hubble Space Telescope. The most powerful space telescope ever built, the Webb telescope will observe distant objects in the universe, provide images of the first galaxies formed and see unexplored planets around distant stars. The Webb Telescope is a joint project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency.

hopefully, this time they done it right and won't discover the James Webb will need corrective lenses like Hubble did xD

and don't worry, NASA will be using a Ariane 5 rocket to launch into space and not the disaster SpaceX program

james-webb-space-telescope-arianne-5--20

---

the Hubble Space Telescope (not the 1st space telescope) was launched in 1990 and it's used to observe space in near ultraviolet, visible, and near infrared spectra

the new James Webb Telescope is equipped with a 21 foot (~6.5m) gold-coated mirror array that can collect seven times more light than Hubble and scan the infrared spectrum to see through dust

it will be launched in late 2018 from French Guiana, northeast coast of South America

30116152713_90e8816b76_b.jpg

I love space technology so much. The exquisite and advanced composite materials, design of the aircraft, construction process and the stability and reliability of these floatcrafts is so freaking amazing and mindblowing. Then again, so is our universe ^^.

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

I love space technology so much. The exquisite and advanced composite materials, design of the aircraft, construction process and the stability and reliability of these floatcrafts is so freaking amazing and mindblowing. Then again, so is our universe ^^.

too bad we're wasting our attention on wars and using that technology to kill each other. :( 

AWESOME NEWS!

The Hubble ultra deep field is imho the coolest image that has ever been captured. 

Can we get a 1% space/science budget?

Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_diagram.jpg

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I remember reading something about this a few years back. They were just talking about the sunshield, like how it can propell the satellte by solarwind. Neat!

gallery-webb-telescope_0.jpg?itok=Pli4je

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

26 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

-snip-

Whenever I see an image like this, I wish we could see the edge of space but I know we may never be able to.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

7 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

Whenever I see an image like this, I wish we could see the edge of space but I know we may never be able to.

That's assuming such a thing exists.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

One step closer to being able to view the past live from the future.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

12 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

One step closer to being able to view the past live from the future.

you mean like who actually shot JFK? 

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you mean like who actually shot JFK? 

I wish.

I'm not too well versed on the theory but I think if the mirror is 1 light-year away we would theoretically be able to see two years into the past.  I guess if it were 26.5 light-years away and ultra accurate with an outstanding resolution we could theoretically see who killed JFK.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I literally changed my wallpaper to this just yesterday 

jwst--sxsw_8542011795_o.jpg

(SXSW 2013)

Now I'm starting to wonder if NASA is watching me with its satellites...or aliens 

In all honesty, I hope the launch pushes through smoothly given the cuts in NASA's budget 

Can't wait to see the first images released from this thing. 2018 launch though?

6 hours ago, MrImnotMLG said:

we cant because we also look back in time 

6 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I wish.

I'm not too well versed on the theory but I think if the mirror is 1 light-year away we would theoretically be able to see two years into the past.  I guess if it were 26.5 light-years away and ultra accurate with an outstanding resolution we could theoretically see who killed JFK.

Its not how it works. If you placed a mirror one light year away, it would take one year to get there if it traveled at light speed so you would see at best what was going on when uou sent it there. Assuming that the light wouldn't degrade and you could see the details. Best way to look to the past is to look straight ahead.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:22 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

AWESOME NEWS!

The Hubble ultra deep field is imho the coolest image that has ever been captured. 

Can we get a 1% space/science budget?

This is really cool since it can scan in the infrared spectrum, which will allow observations to be done through the dust clouds that block most of the spectrum, as IR radiation can penetrate them. These kind of dust clouds always shroud stars being formed. For instance, if you go out and look up at Orion check the middle star in his dagger (or dong). You can see it's really fuzzy and not a distinct point of light like the other stars in the constellation. In that fuzzy area it's thought stars are being born, and being able to look into this nebula to see them with the Webb Telescope will be amazing (you need a space telescope since most IR can't penetrate our atmosphere).

Disaster spacex program? uhh what?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

19 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Disaster spacex program? uhh what?

Space-X-rocket-explodes-at-launch.jpg

along with the rocket, a 195mil USD satellite also went up in flames

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Space-X-rocket-explodes-at-launch.jpg

Yeah, only one major failure on a hired mission. nasa on the other hand

images.jpgdownload.jpgROCKET 3.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just now, bob345 said:

Yeah, only one major failure on a hired mission. nasa on the other hand

care to tell me when was the last time NASA had a rocket blow up during fueling?

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

care to tell me when was the last time NASA had a rocket blow up during fueling?

Off the top of my head 2014, nasa's orbital-atk mission blew up on the launch pad. main thing I'm trying to get at is that every space program will have major failures at some point or another. there is always a risk associated with it.

On 8/11/2016 at 3:13 PM, zMeul said:

and don't worry, NASA will be using a Ariane 5 rocket to launch into space and not the disaster SpaceX program

Out of the first 20 Ariane 5 launches, there were 4 mission failures, one of them caused by one of the most infamous software bugs in history.

Out of the first 20 Falcon 9 launches, there was 1 mission failure and 1 partial mission failure.

Fucking disastrous SpaceX Falcon 9 shit, amirite.

Edit: Misread the stats, Ariane 5 is worse than I thought.

25 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Off the top of my head 2014, nasa's orbital-atk mission blew up on the launch pad. main thing I'm trying to get at is that every space program will have major failures at some point or another. there is always a risk associated with it.

no, my friend

last time a NASA rocket blew up during fueling was back in the 70s or 80s, don't recall exactly - 1960 from what I found

SpaceX is so fucking retarded they're trying to reinvent the rocket

Edited by zMeul

On 8.11.2016 at 3:13 PM, zMeul said:

not the disaster SpaceX program

oh come one , it exploded ONCE :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

oh come one , it exploded ONCE :P 

well, it exploded one when the oxygen tank ruptured and an 2nd time when the kerosene tank ruptured xD

actually that's incorrect since the initial explosion hapened in the 2nd stage of the rocket, then the 1st stage went off 

Edited by zMeul