successor to the Hubble Telescope is ready - the James Webb Space Telescope

On 11/8/2016 at 10:20 PM, Aytex said:

too bad we're wasting our attention on wars and using that technology to kill each other. :( 

Everyone wants a piece of that black gold.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

what a waste of money

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

52 minutes ago, qwertywarrior said:

what a waste of money

so a conquest to learn more about the universe and possibly find signs of other intelligent life is a waste of money?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

9 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

so a conquest to learn more about the universe and possibly find signs of other intelligent life is a waste of money?

yes. its a distraction. maybe in the far future its a good idea

it isnt going anywhere.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

a lie?! ha!

let me tell you some basic truths:

• I am not an american
  • I do not live in the US
  • I do not watch US news channels

for the 2016 election, not a single american should've been allowed to vote, instead every 18+ citizen in the rest of The World should've voted for America's president - in one single year, US' IQ dropped into Mariana's Trench

the to most unfitted and unsuited people to be president got in the final election

yesterday, The World just shat itself

Now it all makes sense.

Hardcore anti-american, no wonder he dislikes SpaceX so much.

Just now, normpearii said:

Now it all makes sense.

Hardcore anti-american, no wonder he dislikes SpaceX so much.

I do not hate America, I hate stupid americans - huge difference

11 hours ago, Wolther said:

It's a very important piece of history and achievement. Lead to a much much bigger understanding of the universe. It would be nice to have the actual thing on display somewhere. Or something along those lines and let people be able to see it in person. Having the actual thing just makes the experience that much better 

and unfortunately it'd most likely be cheaper to build a 100% accurate hubble replica here on earth than to bring hubble back down here.

just the sheer difficulties behind fishing up something from space that wasnt designed to come back down, somehow enclose it so it survives re-entry, have it land safely, and somehow not damage it in the process.

5 hours ago, qwertywarrior said:

yes. its a distraction. maybe in the far future its a good idea

it isnt going anywhere.

It literally is going somewhere. The Earth-Sun L2 point, specifically.

2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It literally is going somewhere. The Earth-Sun L2 point, specifically.

i meant space isnt going anywhere. it will exist for a long time

we might not

thats why i said its a distraction (this need for discovery)

15 minutes ago, qwertywarrior said:

we might not

Do you want to be able to leave this planet sooner rather than later?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I love space.

NASA, can I please go to Mars? Even if I am not fit and also isn't an engineer? I can be like an experiment on how good (read bad) non fit, non qualified people can do on Mars!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

@zMeul SpaceX has done a full test fire of a launched rocket and they already have a customer lined up to fly on one. They are still very committed to getting the Falcon 9 reusable. Even if it doesn't work they've created the cheapest launch system to date. That's not nothing.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

@zMeul SpaceX has done a full test fire of a launched rocket and they already have a customer lined up to fly on one. They are still very committed to getting the Falcon 9 reusable. Even if it doesn't work they've created the cheapest launch system to date. That's not nothing.

cheapest doesn't mean shit when their rockets explode on the fueling pad with the customer's cargo on board

Falcon 9:

• payload LEO: 22800Kg
  • payload: GTO: 8300Kg
  • 29 missions
  • 2 complete failures
  • 1 mission where the 2nd payload was lost
  • I'm not including recovery failures

Ariane 5:

• ~3 times more costly
  • payload LEO: 20000Kg (ES variant)
  • payload GTO: 10735kg (ECA variant) 
  • 88 missions
  • 2 complete failures
  • 2 partial failures

26 minutes ago, zMeul said:

cheapest doesn't mean shit when their rockets explode on the fueling pad with the customer's cargo on board

Falcon 9:

• payload LEO: 22800Kg
  • payload: GTO: 8300Kg
  • 29 missions
  • 2 complete failures
  • 1 mission where the 2nd payload was lost
  • I'm not including recovery failures

Ariane 5:

• ~3 times more costly
  • payload LEO: 20000Kg (ES variant)
  • payload GTO: 10735kg (ECA variant) 
  • 88 missions
  • 2 complete failures
  • 2 partial failures

Its called the development phase for a reason. Look at the problems the Ariane 5 had during its development phase-and the fact that the rocket doesn't have any re-usable parts.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, qwertywarrior said:

we might not

Dude, excellent fucking point. I agree. As an intelligent species, our first concern should be existing, not trying to apply our intelligence to a greater understanding of the universe we inhabit.

Along those lines, lets do away with the multi-billion dollar entertainment industries such as movies, music and video games because these are distractions as well. Literally!

13 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Do you want to be able to leave this planet sooner rather than later?

i think its too soon for me in the lift time

we might reach singularity before we find and inhabit a earth like planet

4 hours ago, SSL said:

Dude, excellent fucking point. I agree. As an intelligent species, our first concern should be existing, not trying to apply our intelligence to a greater understanding of the universe we inhabit.

Along those lines, lets do away with the multi-billion dollar entertainment industries such as movies, music and video games because these are distractions as well. Literally!

i do agree with the above might people are stubborn. Entertainment has taken a new form and effected our social structure, Instant gratification has ruined a generation

1 hour ago, qwertywarrior said:

i think its too soon for me in the lift time

we might reach singularity before we find and inhabit a earth like planet

Well, you're not helping if you try to block progress in telescopes. We need things like this to find those Earth-like planets.

On 11/9/2016 at 2:37 PM, zMeul said:

care to tell me when was the last time NASA had a rocket blow up during fueling?

When was the last time NASA actually launched a rocket they designed and built themselves? 

On 11/9/2016 at 3:00 PM, zMeul said:

reducing cost means cutting corners; and when rocketry is involved, cutting corners means things blowing up

Not necessarily.  SpaceX's rockets are built in one large U shaped facility that acts like an assembly area.

NASA on the other hand has facilities spread across the whole of the U.S and has to ship components from one place to the next.  NASA was intentionally structured this way to ensure political survival.  Since they have installations in so many locations it makes it harder for someone to want to cut their budget; which would cut jobs in their district.  

This unfortunately comes at a much higher financial cost. 

On 11/9/2016 at 4:31 PM, zMeul said:

call me back when SpaceX actually reuses a single fucking recovered rocket - they haven't so far, not a single one

Why should they?  Space is hard, and getting into space is the hardest part at the moment.  SpaceX is currently making sure they can get their brand new rockets into space reliably.  Then they try and get those rockets down to earth safely.  

It's standard in product development. 

8 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

When was the last time NASA actually launched a rocket they designed and built themselves?

NASA is a government agency and not a private corp

and they're refocusing on what no one else can do, like ... building a fucking space telescope

25 minutes ago, zMeul said:

NASA is a government agency and not a private corp

and they're refocusing on what no one else can do, like ... building a fucking space telescope

I'm fully aware of what NASA is and does, and while they do use private companies to manufacture the components of rockets; what gets made is to NASA specifications.  

NASA hasn't launched a NASA designed rocket in years, but they are currently in the development phase of a new rocket the SLS which will be used to carry the Orion Crew module into space. 

Latlsy NASA is working on a lot more than just space telescopes.  Right now they are in the research phase for an orbiter/lander to send to one of Saturn's Moons.  They also do a crap ton of earth-science research.  Plus a lot of aeronautics research.  Those little tips of passenger planes where the wing curves up?  Yea that was a NASA engineer and it cuts fuel cost up to 20%.  

1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

I'm fully aware of what NASA is and does, and while they do use private companies to manufacture the components of rockets; what gets made is to NASA specifications.  

NASA hasn't launched a NASA designed rocket in years, but they are currently in the development phase of a new rocket the SLS which will be used to carry the Orion Crew module into space. 

Latlsy NASA is working on a lot more than just space telescopes.  Right now they are in the research phase for an orbiter/lander to send to one of Saturn's Moons.  They also do a crap ton of earth-science research.  Plus a lot of aeronautics research.  Those little tips of passenger planes where the wing curves up?  Yea that was a NASA engineer and it cuts fuel cost up to 20%.  

NASA also devolved the ball point pen. Don't you fucking forget son!

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

10 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

NASA also devolved the ball point pen. Don't you fucking forget son!

you are quite wrong sir,

the 1st ballpen patent was issued in 1888 to John Jacob Loud

the 1st patent for ballpen that was commercialized was issued in 1938 to László Bíró, then again in 1943

http://inventors.about.com/od/famousinventions/fl/The-Battle-of-the-Ballpoint-Pens-Laszlo-Biro.htm

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you are quite wrong sir,

the 1st ballpen patent was issued in 1888 to John Jacob Loud

the 1st patent for ballpen that was commercialized was issued in 1938 to László Bíró, then again in 1943

http://inventors.about.com/od/famousinventions/fl/The-Battle-of-the-Ballpoint-Pens-Laszlo-Biro.htm

Wow an aerospace engineer in Houston lied to me..... I always believed that to be true....

The whole story of the Soviet Union and the pencil and then us with the ball-point :/

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

12 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Wow an aerospace engineer in Houston lied to me..... I always believed that to be true....

The whole story of the Soviet Union and the pencil and then us with the ball-point :/

you might be referring to the space pen

NASA did started development on such a pen but it was costly; at the same time 3 people developed the space pen on their own: Friedrich Schächter, Paul C. Fisher, Erwin Rath

Paul C. Fisher was the first to patented the AG7 "anti gravity" pen in 1965 - thus, the Fisher Pen was born http://www.thinkpatcri.com/2012/01/space-pen-zero-gravity-pen-fisher-space.html

same year NASA asked to try it, in 1967 NASA started buying the Fisher Pen, so did the soviets