Huawei launches Mate 9; Your new Note 7 replacement?

dizmo

Would you buy?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Could this be your next phablet?

• Yes!
    • Naaarp
    • I'm waiting to see what Nokia brings out

Huawei had a launch event today in Germany for their new flagship, the Mate 9.

A machine learning algorithm that learns how you use the phone, which is supposed to speed up the phone by over it's life. Hopefully this cures the problem of Android phones slowing down as they age. They claim after 16 months of usage the phone is 80% faster than rival devices.

The dual camera set up has a 12MP RGB sensor and a 20MP monochrome sensor, an f2.2 aperture, hybrid auto focus, OIS on the RGB camera, and is able to output 50% smaller 4k video files. It's able to adjust the focus of pictures after they're taken, as with most dual camera set ups.

EMUI, Huawei's Android skin, is supposed to be quite light, and they've added a slough of new features. You can now add an app drawer via the settings, it has mulitwindow support via Android 7.0, you can set up personal accounts, with data on the phone remaining private to each individual, and it has the usual tap and gesture features of the Mate 8 and now includes gestures via the finger print sensor on the rear.

Included is a fast charger, which pushes out 5A @ 5V for a claimed full day of use after 30 minutes (50% charge, 100% charge in 90 minutes).

It features constant battery monitoring to keep temperatures in check, which was stated several times. It's cool, it's cool!

A car charger is included in the box.

Other than that it's quite similar to most phones. A slab of metal and glass.

It's nice to see a Chinese company teaming up with so many German companies, hopefully there's more collaborations down the line. An audio one, perhaps?

gsmarena_001.jpg

Spec Breakdown:

• Kirin 960 octocore processor
  • 5.9" FHD LCD display
  • 4GB RAM
  • 64GB storage, expandable via hybrid dual SIM tray
  • Leica Dual 20 MP +12 MP, f/2.2, OIS, phase detection & laser auto focus
  • 8MP f1.9 front facing camera
  • Android 7.0
  • Fingerprint sensor, rear mounted
  • IR blaster
  • USB-C, fast charging
  • 4000mah battery
  • 6 colors: Space Gray, Moonlight Silver, Champagne Gold, Mocha Brown, Ceramic White, Black
  • €699

gsmarena_002.jpg

The more expensive, curved display unit is the real beauty. Porsche Design branded, it sports a smaller screen, but ups the spec slightly.

Porsche Design Mate 9:

• 5.5" curved QHD AMOLED display
  • 6GB RAM
  • 256GB storage, NON expandable
  • €1,395 (no planned US sales)
  • Otherwise, same spec as the regular Mate 9

PD_Front%20Back_678x452.png

Looks to be a pretty nice device, and if they sorted the stabilization issues the P9 had then the dual camera set up should be a real contender.

I do wish they used AMOLED on the regular version, with a 1440p display. It just doesn't scream flagship without it, and at that size would have be preferable.

The audio is also lacking. Most high end phones now have some kind of upgraded DAC/amp, with even some more budget oriented phones (Axon 7) getting serious audio upgrades.

To those who are going to complain about it being huge; it's smaller than a Note5 with a case. But packs in a significantly bigger battery.

The phone seems to be a strong competitor for the V20, though I think the V20 edges it out in a few areas. Screen, audio, removable battery for those that crave it.

I know most will baulk at the price of the Porsche Design unit, but you have to realize it's a niche product for those who want to flash it about. It's not for you.

Fingers crossed they make a cheaper version down the line, or a Pro version of the standard Mate 9!

Thoughts? Would this make a worthy Note7 replacement?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Nope no pen and the finger print reader is on the back.

Well unless you hold your phone weird, your pointer fingers are on the back.

I dont need this phone, got my V20 and i love it.

I was really hyped about this phone because of the SoC,  but 700$ is just too much for me to realistically consider it, especially when you only have a 1080p display 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

24 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The fuck are you doing dropping €1400 on a motherfucking smartphone?

Some people make considerably more than others. It's really not that much more than a Note7/iPhone 7 Plus 256gb if you think about it. Lots of people have those.

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No because phablets are fucking stupid

Haha, if you say so. I went back to a 5.2" screen briefly (hopefully) and I hate it.

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I was really hyped about this phone because of the SoC,  but 700$ is just too much for me to realistically consider it, especially when you only have a 1080p display 

The display disappointed me too, for sure. As interested as I am to see how the SoC performs...it won't be going into any other interesting devices so it's sort of a moot point.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, if you say so. I went back to a 5.2" screen briefly (hopefully) and I hate it.

I've used an iPhone 6 Plus, and while it's nice, it's basically the absolute largest I'd want a phone at.

My 6th gen iPod touch is more than nice in my hand.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've used an iPhone 6 Plus, and while it's nice, it's basically the absolute largest I'd want a phone at.

How long did you use it for? It definitely takes a few days to get used to.

I guess it also depends on your usage. I used mine for work as well, so the larger screen was a huge plus.

The 6 Plus is also one of the largest phones out there, and way, waaaaay too big for a 5.5" device. It's bigger than this phone is!

It's also poorly designed for a larger phone; a simple slab of metal and glass. Needs some curves.

The Note7, as faulty as it was, was amazing. Felt much smaller than even my Note5.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How long did you use it for? It definitely takes a few days to get used to.

I guess it also depends on your usage. I used mine for work as well, so the larger screen was a huge plus.

The 6 Plus is also one of the largest phones out there, and way, waaaaay too big for a 5.5" device. It's bigger than this phone is!

It's also poorly designed for a larger phone; a simple slab of metal and glass. Needs some curves.

The Note7, as faulty as it was, was amazing. Felt much smaller than even my Note5.

I've used it off and on. It's nice, but it's also fairly cumbersome.

My mom owns one, so that's why I mention it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

despite the larger screen the note series are not much larger than the iphone in fact my dad's iphone 6 plus felt bigger because of their smaller bezels on the note

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

despite the larger screen the note series are not much larger than the iphone in fact my dad's iphone 6 plus felt bigger because of their smaller bezels on the note

The Note7 is physically quite a bit smaller than the iPhone 6 Plus. 
It's closer to most 5.5" phones in size. Not including Apple because they can't figure out how to make a phone small.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

no pen, no IR blaster, no SD card, no removable battery. Note 4 still the phablet king 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The Note7 is physically quite a bit smaller than the iPhone 6 Plus. 
It's closer to most 5.5" phones in size. Not including Apple because they can't figure out how to make a phone small.

yea i thought that might be the case. people always be like the note is too big so let me go with my bigger iphone 6 plus

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

no pen, no IR blaster, no SD card, no removable battery. Note 4 still the phablet king 

Ermm. Has an IR blaster, has an SD card.

Pen, ok I feel ya. But that's a rare thing seen in only one or two phones.

I only feel a removable battery is a plus if the size is small. Or you live in the desert, far from power.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

yea i thought that might be the case. people always be like the note is too big so let me go with my bigger iphone 6 plus

Haha yeah. I was shocked at how small the Note7 felt. In the hand it feels considerably smaller than my Note5.

Though, it almost feels a little too...elongated.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Indeed, for that money you can get a Titan XP here ... 

Let's agree to disagree

• €1,395 (no planned US sales)

O.o

Holy shit. That phone better be able to make me breakfast in the morning(and more) for that price. I don't care who "designed" it, a phone that will probably be replaced within 2 years should NOT cost that much, especially not with those specs, unless it has a magic battery that can last a whole week.

At least the "regular" version is half as much... But still damn expensive considering it's EURO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Google and the American government having all my info already is enough for me, don't feel like adding China to it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Ermm. Has an IR blaster, has an SD card.

Pen, ok I feel ya. But that's a rare thing seen in only one or two phones.

I only feel a removable battery is a plus if the size is small. Or you live in the desert, far from power.

Haha yeah. I was shocked at how small the Note7 felt. In the hand it feels considerably smaller than my Note5.

Though, it almost feels a little too...elongated.

OP says non-expandable storage... oh wait... that's the porsche one

then: no pen, no removable battery. Note 4 still king

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Because some people will buy anything with a Porsche logo stamped on it. Porsche Design charges people $300 for a stainless steel mechanical pencil, so this doesn't really surprise me. 

ontopic: I think I'd still prefer the P9 or P9plus over this, the design of that looks better imo, and it's not as big. 5.5in screens are as far as I'd want to go with phones tbh. The Mate 9 is still a nice looking phone though, nonetheless.

I got Mate 8  in May and I love it. I have to charge my phone only twice a week with medium/high usage and it never gets hot.

6" is big but I have large hands so it fits me perfectly. I could never go back to my previous 4.5".

EMUI is light and fluid.  Hopefully there will be update to Android 7.0.

My friend also switched from Galaxy S6 Edge and he also like Mate 8 way more.

That said,  this is my first Android  phone I had WP before.

Only thing I miss is double tap to wake up.

Mate 9  looks great but I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

For the announced price it is kinda hard to even consider it since my Mate 8  was "only" €500 (with 20% tax included).

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

OP says non-expandable storage... oh wait... that's the porsche one

then: no pen, no removable battery. Note 4 still king

Yeah, nothing's quite the same as a Note. However we won't see another one for another year, so something's gotta fill the gap.

I don't see the removable battery as a huge plus. While it's neat, I wouldn't trade something like water resistance for it.

32 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You see the price discrepancy between the curved and non curved and realize the Chinese are absolute suckers for branding.

I have colleagues from the mainland and it is very very strange how they only go for prestige branded products. They seem to take their status symbols super seriously, to a fault.

Personally I'm just waiting for a smaller version of the V20. The V10 was great it was simply an enlarged, upgraded G4.

But LG had to fuck the G5 up real bad... to which the V20 bears no resemblance.

Removable battery 4lyfe.

It's more than just that, though I will admit that they didn't change a great deal on the Porsche Design unit design wise.

It's a limited edition. Regardless of what it is, limited edition items will always command a higher premium.

The name does have a huge part to play, but so too does the spec.

There is a smaller version of the V20. It was released for Japan only. It was also IP certified IIRC.

Do you ever use your removable battery?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Because some people will buy anything with a Porsche logo stamped on it. Porsche Design charges people $300 for a stainless steel mechanical pencil, so this doesn't really surprise me. 

ontopic: I think I'd still prefer the P9 or P9plus over this, the design of that looks better imo, and it's not as big. 5.5in screens are as far as I'd want to go with phones tbh. The Mate 9 is still a nice looking phone though, nonetheless.

Yes and no. Some things are ridiculous, some things actually have better design. I can't speak for that pencil, but there are some crazy expensive pens out there.

Then there's people that just appreciate design. I have a Porsche Design key ring. It was $350. I like the design.

I thought the P9 was a gorgeous device. I'd love to see an updated model with perhaps a curved screen, the upgraded camera, and some other tweaks.

It's funny you mention the Plus. It's barely smaller than the Mate.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Damn, for the price/performance I paid, my G2 still rules. While the new high end is much, much faster, prices also seem to have ballooned as well. 

I need a new battery though. :(

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't see the removable battery as a huge plus. While it's neat, I wouldn't trade something like water resistance for it.

galaxy S5, removable and waterproof

there was a time when Samsung made good phones