Star Citizen Single-Player Delayed Indefinitely

patrickjp93
52 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

To me it's like the difference between someone saying "Come to this website to gamble!" openly and risk legal repercutions if they're not legally authorized to do so vs a website stating "Come to our "high rollers" club when you can organize yourself with other users to competitively predict the results of sporting events!" No technically if they don't provide a way to make money change hands they could skate by and not be called a gambling operation but morally they know exactly what the fuck it's going on.

Legality and morality are two different things though. Neither of those is immoral. More apt, for kickstarter, may be the difference between a raffle and a lottery. Someone gets the prize in a raffle, a lottery may not draw anyones numbers. but neither are immoral, so long as you knew beforehand what the system was when you bought your ticket.

THe main issue with campaigners on KS/IGG is few people, when making a campaign, understand the ramifications and expectations of their claims and promises. And soliciting money when lying or making claims that you know you cannot backup is fraud and they need to be held accountable.

Oh wow, a giant game, with a shit load of features and things to do, takes a while to develop.

Much shock, very wow, such anger.

/s.

This game is no different than any other game being made the RIGHT way (taking your fucking time and making it right), except that it's being made in a more open and public way than most games, on top of being crowd funded.

That is all there is to say. People whining and shouting "told you so!" are just idiots who lack any knowledge of the weekly/monthly progress being made on this game. Anyone who actually follows it knows that this is not a fucking "ponzi scheme", it's just a work of art, being made by people who want to take their time to do it right.

Meanwhile the rest of the gaming industry (or most of it) is working on Call of Money: Recycled Warfare, and making a new one every year or so.

I'll take the work of art, that takes a decade to come out, over some shit game that was hastily thrown together in order to try and take my money with lies, false advertising, and lazy programming.

Which one is the Ponzi Scheme again?

"Oh look! A new TitanFall, and this time it actually has a single player!" Enjoy paying $60 for that.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oh wow, a giant game, with a shit load of features and things to do, takes a while to develop.

/s.

This game is no different than any other game being made the RIGHT way (taking your fucking time and making it right), except that it's being made in a more open and public way than most games, on top of being crowd funded.

That is all there is to say. People whining and shouting "told you so!" are just idiots who lack any knowledge of the weekly/monthly progress being made on this game. Anyone who actually follows it knows that this is not a fucking "ponzi scheme", it's just a work of art, being made by people who want to take their time to do it right.

Meanwhile the rest of the gaming industry (or most of it) is working on Call of Money: Recycled Warfare, and making a new one every year or so.

I'll take the work of art, that takes a decade to come out, over some shit game that was hastily thrown together in order to try and take my money with lies, false advertising, and lazy programming.

I strongly agree with this (although I like the COD campaigns xD)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I strongly agree with this (although I like the COD campaigns xD)

I like the WaW campaign, A LOT, and one or two other of their Campaigns.

But we all know that is NOT why CoD is still around. It's around because the majority of "gamers" are people with little sense for how to spend their money.

I'm so sick of people bitching about SC. Look at No Mans Sky, which was ridiculously hyped, but quickly developed with a rather vague concept.

Meanwhile, SC has clear goals, and is being done slowly. (not to mention that NMS was nothing more than an attempt to cash in on the hype around SC, as well as an attempt to copy Minecraft, sort of).

I have no doubt that the game will come, and my money is on 2018-2019 for something complete. And after watch their planet 2.0 demo... all I can say is wow. Now I haven't bought anything yet, but once there gameplay in 18-24 months from now I have no problem dropping a few hundred dollars on a ship(s). Plus computer hardware will be more mature by then.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

/s.

"Oh look! A new TitanFall, and this time it actually has a single player!" Enjoy paying $60 for that.

Hell, ESO took seven years to develop and now that it is released is still getting regular content updates. Many people may not like it but I enjoy it, personally, if anything for the lore. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, JasonRoGo said:

When I baked the game looked like this:
StarCitizen2013-08-2923-21-07-37_zps5836
maxresdefault.jpg

Now the game looks like this:
citizencon-2016-4k-screenshot-05.jpg
citizencon-2016-4k-screenshot-01.jpg

Sounds to me like Cloud Imperium Games need to employ a quality baker.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I don't need a huge ass manual like Falcon 4.0 so there is a lot left to be implemented. And ffs why can't I have a real six view. :P

17 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, it's almost like financing an AAA level game through a kickstarter was a stupid fucking idea to begin with

No way. Most of my favourite games of the past few years are the product of Kickstarters. I think these are all high-production games:

Wasteland 2, Divinity 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera (the alpha), The Banner Saga... and many upcoming games that I'm most looking forward to are also crowd-funded projects: Torment: Tides of Numenera (the full release), Divinity 3, Wasteland 3, Star Citizen.

So far, crowd-funding game development has proven to be one of the greatest things to ever happen to gaming, IMO.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

No way. Most of my favourite games of the past few years are the product of Kickstarters. I think these are all high-production games:

Wasteland 2, Divinity 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera (the alpha), The Banner Saga... and many upcoming games that I'm most looking forward to are also crowd-funded projects: Torment: Tides of Numenera (the full release), Divinity 3, Wasteland 3, Star Citizen.

So far, crowd-funding game development has proven to be one of the greatest things to ever happen to gaming, IMO.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to play the first 3 you've listed. Are they all on Steam now? Worth getting?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to play the first 3 you've listed. Are they all on Steam now? Worth getting?

Yeah, all those games are on Steam, and all are very worth playing. They have their differences, and you might be into one versus another more, but there are people who think of each as their favourite.

Divinity 2 and Wasteland 2 have each had their enhanced edition / director's cut released, which, in the case of Divinity 2, improves the quest and story writing and some other stuff, while adding new technical features, and in the case of Wasteland 2, gives the game a graphical overhaul, and probably other stuff. So, those games are more refined and impressive now than their original presentations. Pillars of Eternity has its expansion completed, and recently just received another big patch. One of the things that has changed in PoE due to patches is the balances of the game. The guy who does that at Obsidian has some OCD or something about balance, and really brought down the powers levels of some classes... which I think isn't cool, but the game is awesome, and one of the heavily "balanced" classes, Ciphers, are still my favourite to play.

Can't really go wrong with any of them, but they each have their own flavours.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

"High production!"

*proceeds to list 2D or Isometric view RPGs*

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

"High production!"

*proceeds to list 2D or Isometric view RPGs*

Budget notwithstanding, those are top quality games, developed by established and professional studios, and garnered, and needed a lot more funding and time than many people expected, or thought should be asked for from the public. But they all turned out amazing, and successful.

Some criticized Wasteland 2 when it was delayed, and fear-mongered that the money given to the project was thrown away. But that didn't stop the game from completing its development, and being a great game. There were, similarly, detractors for both Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity 2, both of which were delayed. And there was criticism from some people when those projects sought additional funding outside of their Kickstarter campaign.

All the same stuff that has people willing to be cynical about Star Citizen over, these other successful projects also experienced. And that people were cynical didn't stop the games from releasing, or from being great games, and well worth the time and money it took to make them.

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Budget notwithstanding

Actually yes withstanding: While I said I have a problem with all crowd funded titles I also said that I have a particular and far bigger problem with games like Star Citizen or Shenmue III cause of their far, far worst and more complicated logistics that are just not meant for non AAA development.

Most of the titles you mentioned I like and even support. No I don't like how they came to be but I can see that there's otherwise little chance of seeing the titles at all with varying degrees of alternatives. But something like Mighty No. 9? That game from the Castlevania dude? Fucking Shenmue III? Those titles could totally be made without crowd funding and we've seen it being used to either be lazy or as a marketing tactic with additional supplemental funds elsewhere.

-------

Current Rig

-------

21 hours ago, Helly said:

actually the hanger module was the first which was a full module.... the Arena commander was the second which was a full module and did exactly what it was suppose to do. Thats the 2 modules @Misanthrope said would be the max that would be released... But there's already the PU which is playable and being expanded. The Star Marine module is coming soon. So he's so wrong that its obvious he has no idea what he's even talking about.

I can't wait for you all to see that you're wrong. It would have been a scam if they hadn't done anything and shown anything by now. But they are giving updates and show everyone exactly what they're working on and whats happening with the game EVERY WEEK. If this is a scam then im happy to have fallen for the most awesome and exciting scam ever....

Don't forget the social module, which makes 3 modules released and the baby-PU.

But actually, Star Citizen is the worst scam in history. They're actually making a game :o 

6 hours ago, Sparviero said:

I don't need a huge ass manual like Falcon 4.0 so there is a lot left to be implemented. And ffs why can't I have a real six view. :P

Well, there is S.C.H.E.M.A.T.A. (formerly known as BIG S.C.A.M. :P) to satisfy your huge ass manual needs...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

On 11/10/2016 at 10:50 PM, patrickjp93 said:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/237434-star-citizen-single-player-delayed-indefinitely

Cloud Imperium Games, makers of the sprawling, controversial, and long-delayed space simulator/FPS shooter/single-player space combat title known as Star Citizen, announced the game’s single-player campaign, Squadron 42, will be delayed indefinitely. The reason is simple: With so much left undone, there are huge chunks of the single-player campaign yet unfinished. CIG had originally promised Squadron 42 would ship in 2016, but it’s now clear there’s no way that could happen. The fact that the company has yet to announce a new shipping date isn’t particularly promising, either.

I and many others have been warning you from the beginning. This is a Ponzi Scheme. Stop giving away your money on a project they do not have any intention of finishing! They are taking it in while not increasing staff. It's OBVIOUS!

they've increased staff and they delayed the release cos its not polished to the standard they want to show it at, Chris has got one chance to show it to the world so they made the choice not to, go watch citizencon

Remember how the other coward funded game went? it had a some issues on launch but all in all was good. I was able to play the alpha years before release.

FYI: Project Cars

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I am still holding out hope for Star Citizen.

Great experience so far and worth every cent I've spent so far.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:58 PM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Hell, ESO took seven years to develop and now that it is released is still getting regular content updates. Many people may not like it but I enjoy it, personally, if anything for the lore. 

ESO had two giant ass problems.

First of all, people expected Skyrim, which cannot work as an MMO. Nothing that can really be done about it.

Secondly, the game was developed with consoles in mind. This irritated the MMO community because of the limited amount of abilities on your "hot bar" or however you want to describe that. And who knows what else.

Star Citizen doesn't necessarily have to worry about this (at least not as much) because it isn't trying to take a thing, turn it into another thing, and satisfy the fans of both things. It's supposed to stand on its own, as its own benchmark in the gaming community.

This game is supposed to be unique. It's supposed to be unlike anything else before it, the only exception being EVE. The way I think about it, is that it's the next logical evolution of a game like EVE. It's a complete universe, that's more immersive than EVE could ever be.

Take every MMO you've ever played, throw them out the window and keep only the stat system (maybe, at least for the vehicles), now take EVE online, and create that same (size) universe with complete physics and graphics on par with, or better than, the very best first person shooters ever made (that also have vehicles).

That, is a recipe that is complicated as all hell. How in the fuck is anyone bitching about it taking this long? Seriously? The only fault here, is that the Dev is being a bit over-enthusiastic with their release dates.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

First of all, people expected Skyrim, which cannot work as an MMO. Nothing that can really be done about it.

Not really a problem of the game so much as a problem of the community. I enjoy ES games regardless since I love the lore so much.

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Secondly, the game was developed with consoles in mind. This irritated the MMO community because of the limited amount of abilities on your "hot bar" or however you want to describe that. And who knows what else.

Yeah I can see that though mana/stamina costs are high enough where having more abilities on the bar wouldn't help much.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Not really a problem of the game so much as a problem of the community. I enjoy ES games regardless since I love the lore so much.

Yeah I can see that though mana/stamina costs are high enough where having more abilities on the bar wouldn't help much.

That's a very easy fix. The abilities limit was directly a result of the game being developed to be ported over to console. Because the console peasants are limited to X amount of buttons on a controller. This has been common knowledge almost since day 1 of the closed beta.

Most MMO's have a freaking shitload of abilities and giant hot bars. Normally you have a set rotation that is somewhat flexible, with abilities that cause other abilities to become "Free", requiring no resource to activate, or a reduced amount of said resource.

That would have been easy for Bethesda to do, but it still wouldn't have worked because of the consoles and their limited controllers.

That being said, I like ESO, but I have issues with it because of my ISP being a complete fucking bastard, and because when I could play it, I had trouble finding people to play with.

Hell, I used to be a fairly good tank on SWTOR, and all I ever did was use the mouse for my rotations. (juggernaut tank, heavy focus on Defense Rating). Controllers just suck for everything.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

That would have been easy for Bethesda to do, but it still wouldn't have worked because of the consoles and their limited budget.

You mean Zenimax Online?