Putin’s call for Russia’s authorities to reduce dependence on foreign technology

Thiback
1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Iraq and Afghanistan? No. Libya? No. Syria? Only after the USA supplied weapons to rebels and invaded the country... so, again, no to Russia having a hand in that war being started.

In Ukraine? It was the USA who spent $5 billion funding anti-government protests, not Russia. So, again, 'No' to Russia having a hand in that war being started. The only thing Russia has done there is accept Crimea's application to accede to Russia - which is something that Crimea has been trying to accomplish for over 2 decades. And, helping East Ukraine, who also don't want anything to do with the neo-Nazi regime in West Ukraine, which was installed via a coup which overthrew Ukraine's constitution, and therefore nullified any internationally-recognizable legal status of Ukraine.

These are all very clear-cut wars that the USA has started, or sponsored and fostered.

Quote,

"The only thing Russia has done there is accept Crimea's application to accede to Russia."

I'm sure Ukraine separatists are not backed and funded by the Russian. Oh, yeah. You put on a good spin.

And you forget who went to Afghanistan before the US. Oh, not Russia of course. It's the Soviet Union. Sure the Russian are just peace loving people.

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

Quote,

"The only thing Russia has done there is accept Crimea's application to accede to Russia."

I'm sure Ukraine separatists are not backed and funded by the Russian. Oh, yeah. You put on a good spin.

And you forget who went to Afghanistan before the US. Oh, not Russia of course. It's the Soviet Union. Sure the Russian are just peace loving people.

The Soviet Union was responsible for the murder of millions of it's own citizens, plus wars.  The USA is responsible for the murder of millions in the middle east, but at least they don't murder their own people (well, at least not very many).  Hilary Clinton is responsible for destabilizing an already unstable region.  She loves conflict, she probably get's off on the death of us puny peasants.  

Russia is very different from the Soviet era.  The USA is kind of an evil empire.  The federal government needs to be cut down to it's original size and the states need to take back the power of the people.  Anyway there's not much point arguing which empire is more evil, or which politician is more of a psychopath.  Wouldn't it be better if we said NO to the psychopaths altogether?  They are the only ones who want war.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

19 minutes ago, Deli said:

Quote,

The only Ukraine separatists are those who overthrew Ukraine's democratically-elected government, and separated former-Ukraine's territory from the Ukrainian constitution to do so. Crimea and East Ukraine are those who defied the overthrow and didn't recognize the post-coup installed government, and so they would be the non-separatists... except that former-Ukraine no longer exists to be a separatist, or non-separatist of:

Once former-Ukraine's government was overthrown, there no was a Ukraine to be a separatist of, since Ukraine's constitution was nullified by its former president, in order to cede control to the coup, in accordance with their demands. That act dissolved the territorial integrity of Ukraine, and what is now calling itself Ukraine is merely a group of West Ukrainians without the support of former-Ukraine - hence why they're attacking East Ukraine, precisely because East Ukraine doesn't support the post-coup non-democratically-elected government in West Ukraine.

So, there's a big 'No' to Russia having involvement in the creation of the war in former-Ukraine, since the war only started after former-Ukraine's government was overthrown, and USA-backed West-Ukraine started attacking East Ukraine, in an attempt to force the regions there to submit to the installed government.

What I've written isn't spin, but the truth. It sounds like you're pre-conditioned to call anything that doesn't conform to the actual spin, spin.

What does a past war have to do with who started, and is perpetuating the current ones? Russia's former wars are not tied to the USA's invasion of Afghanistan, or the current conflicts in the region.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I grinced for these news.

When I think Russian production first things to come into mind are Lada and War Thunder. Everybody probably knows how bad WT is and how "well" the Gaijin developes it and especial how well Gaijin listens to the reviews and their community. I can just imagine how well they would develope software: user "This feature doesn't work, that feature is too ahrd to use, this doesn't work on X hardware, there's problem and thats broken" developer "Ok, here's a ton of new icons to make your desktop look better" and when the user continues with the problems the software has, the developer blacklists users phone number and email and threats to sue and any other legal way the user if he continues to talk about the problems in the software.

And everybody probably knows what kind of reputation Lada has. We have this saying: "Buy a Lada, with it you can get to Helsinki as fast as you can push" xD

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So, they probably switch from microsoft to linux, still make in the US.

You not going far in technology without stuff made or designed in the US(name a OS not made or based of a OS made in the US)

linux is finnish

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I will say I look forward to see what Russia comes up with.  Russian tubes for tube-amps are incredible, and I've several Russian and Hungarian AK-47's which just don't stop working.  I mean--you can't kill those things, except for when you run out of money.  Russian software will likely be, "It isn't pretty, but it does everything and is multi-threaded.  Now have drink."

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

linux is finnish

But ,its mainted in the US, with mainly US comanies making changes, Its also based off Unix form ATT bell labs, a US company.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But ,its mainted in the US, with mainly US comanies making changes, Its also based off Unix form ATT bell labs, a US company.

Linux is not based on Unix. It is POSIX compliant and borrows some concepts (not source code) from Unix, but that's hardly enough to say it is based on it. 

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the only one making changes to linux is torvalds, comapanies and idividuals from all around the world can send those changes to changes to be made part of linux, but torvalds is the one who decides what gets in. It's not based of of unix one bit

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 9/28/2016 at 9:50 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

So, they probably switch from microsoft to linux, still make in the US.

You not going far in technology without stuff made or designed in the US(name a OS not made or based of a OS made in the US)

Linux is open-source though. It is not made in the US. It is a collaborative effort and you know what you're getting in the end, because you know and can modify the source code. Not with proprietary programs though ;)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I think it's reasonable, with the spyware concerns and the fact that this would probably help local businesses (e.g. russian software houses).

On 28/9/2016 at 11:07 PM, pit5000 said:

Though it may be good for state security, it would not help with overall productivity (it can actually reduce it).

The quality of the russian made software come into question as they have yet to prove they can hire and retain the best engineers. 

There's a lot of open source software they can use as basis, it may be a little less comfortable than the commercial counterparts but it's prefectly usable after the staff has been trained. If they are motivated to it can take fairly little to iron out the edges.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Cant blame them,  unless you want to pretend nothing wrong, Like the other counterparts have less surveillance at this point ,

Details separate people.

Russia will use Linux and so will China, just like North Korea the best Korea! :D

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Will their distro be called Vodka?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 9/29/2016 at 4:46 AM, Jorgen297 said:

Of course they want that after the NSA scandal. NSA through Microsoft can spy on the entire country with Windows 10, and that's not acceptable imo.

That is not proven. Suspicions are not proof.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 hours ago, FakezZ said:

Linux is open-source though. It is not made in the US. It is a collaborative effort and you know what you're getting in the end, because you know and can modify the source code. Not with proprietary programs though ;)

It is made primarily by U.S. developers in the U.S. though.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 9/29/2016 at 3:03 PM, LAwLz said:

Linux is not based on Unix. It is POSIX compliant and borrows some concepts (not source code) from Unix, but that's hardly enough to say it is based on it. 

All of Bash is Unix, and the original Linux file systems were cut and pasted from Unix.

51 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

All of Bash is Unix, and the original Linux file systems were cut and pasted from Unix.

Bash "belongs" to GNU, not Unix. It is a free and independent component which several OSes uses. Bash is no more "Unix" than it is "Linux", or even "Windows" for that matter.

By "file system" do you mean the file hierarchy (such as /bin, /etc, /home and so on)? Because that structure was borrowed from Unix, but that's just folders with names on them. You can hardly say GNU/Linux is Unix based just because they have folders with the same names.

If you're referring to the file system then you might be right (although I can not find any source that says that Linux used UFS as the primary file system anywhere), but the ones used today, such as ext were specifically designed for Linux, not Unix.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It is made primarily by U.S. developers in the U.S. though.

Yeah but it doesn't really matter. They can see if something is fishy with the code, which is very very hard with proprietary programs. Reading millions of lines of assembly must definitely not be fun.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

It's a good thing I cancelled my Kaspersky Internet Security subscription a year ago.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

They'll probably create their own version of Linux or BSD but I distinctly remember that they were calling to start manufacturing their own processors so it might be a more sophisticated attempt than just their own distro.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

They'll probably create their own version of Linux or BSD but I distinctly remember that they were calling to start manufacturing their own processors so it might be a more sophisticated attempt than just their own distro.

Either way, if it in any way results in legitimate competition for Microsoft (and Intel if they actually do make their own CPU), I'm going to be very interested in the way things turn out.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 9/28/2016 at 3:10 PM, CostcoSamples said:

Under Putin, Russia has adopted a lot of traditional conservative values, which the leftists in the west just hate.  They portray him just as you've described.  

America has been very hostile to Russia and tensions are high.  Unfortunately, we in the west have this thing where we elect highly corrupt narcissists and sociopaths, so I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

While Murica does some back handed things. Russia has shot down a commercial airliner over Crimea and annexed it. Sorry if I dont believe the crap your shoveling 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

9 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

Just Google "Microsoft NSA".

I think this is enough proof for Putin. 

It's not proof that Windows is stealing info for the NSA. Until someone goes sniffing and cracking packets, it's merely speculation. How do we know these companies didn't play purely advisory roles or didn't say no to the NSA's requests?

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Bash "belongs" to GNU, not Unix. It is a free and independent component which several OSes uses. Bash is no more "Unix" than it is "Linux", or even "Windows" for that matter.

By "file system" do you mean the file hierarchy (such as /bin, /etc, /home and so on)? Because that structure was borrowed from Unix, but that's just folders with names on them. You can hardly say GNU/Linux is Unix based just because they have folders with the same names.

If you're referring to the file system then you might be right (although I can not find any source that says that Linux used UFS as the primary file system anywhere), but the ones used today, such as ext were specifically designed for Linux, not Unix.

Bash is 90% Unix. Stallman did not add that much to it.

No, I mean the actual old file system UFS, not the directory structure. As for a source, Richard Stallman archived all the dev docs on his website.

9 hours ago, FakezZ said:

Yeah but it doesn't really matter. They can see if something is fishy with the code, which is very very hard with proprietary programs. Reading millions of lines of assembly must definitely not be fun.

Disassembly and decompilation do exist.