Putin’s call for Russia’s authorities to reduce dependence on foreign technology

Thiback

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-27/moscow-drops-microsoft-outlook-as-putin-urges-self-sufficiency

Russia is gradually replacing the western software they are using with locally made software :

Moscow city will replace Microsoft Corp. programs with domestic software on thousands of computers in answer to President Vladimir Putin’s call for Russia’s authorities to reduce dependence on foreign technology amid tensions with the U.S. and Europe.

The city will initially replace Microsoft’s Exchange Server and Outlook on 6,000 computers with an e-mail system installed by state-run carrier Rostelecom PJSC, Artem Yermolaev, head of information technology for Moscow, told reporters Tuesday. Moscow may expand deployment of the new software, developed by Russia’s New Cloud Technologies, to as many as 600,000 computers and servers, and may also consider replacing Windows and Office, Yermolaev said.

Putin is urging state entities and local companies to go domestic amid concerns over security and reliability after U.S. firms shut down paid services in Crimea following Russia’s 2014 annexation

So... I don't know if this is good news for russian civil servants (it depends if the software is good or not). I  wish my own country would use locally made stuff provided it's good, that I understand, but due to the international context, this is definitly a move pointed toward the US and the western EU, since most software used worldwide come from there (especially the US).
to WW3 much ?

Eh I'd actually like relations with the US and Russia to calm down some tbh, unlike some of our "allies" Russia isn't culturally far off from western nations so we'd have a better chance making friends that way.

Though the actions of the US government and some actions by putin make this unlikely, and using US hardware allows for abuse by the CIA so I don't blame them for wanting to make their own stuff.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So, they probably switch from microsoft to linux, still make in the US.

You not going far in technology without stuff made or designed in the US(name a OS not made or based of a OS made in the US)

The NSA/CIA have other ways to spy on Russian computers, though I'm sure Microsoft makes it very convenient for them.  Intel also makes it convenient with their secret backdoor built into every CPU.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Putin is a fucking A grade nut job, seriously, the guy took one to many Disco Biscuits back in the 90s and his brain is fried. 

He reminds me of the kid who sits there with chocolate around his face while screaming he didn't eat the chocolate bar except that the kid has access to nuclear weapons. 

He will be responsible for the next war, I know it. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Putin is a fucking A grade nut job, seriously, the guy took one to many Disco Biscuits back in the 90s and his brain is fried. 

He reminds me of the kid who sits there with chocolate around his face while screaming he didn't eat the chocolate bar except that the kid has access to nuclear weapons. 

Under Putin, Russia has adopted a lot of traditional conservative values, which the leftists in the west just hate.  They portray him just as you've described.  

America has been very hostile to Russia and tensions are high.  Unfortunately, we in the west have this thing where we elect highly corrupt narcissists and sociopaths, so I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Under Putin, Russia has adopted a lot of traditional conservative values, which the leftists in the west just hate.  They portray him just as you've described.  

America has been very hostile to Russia and tensions are high.  Unfortunately, we in the west have this thing where we elect highly corrupt narcissists and sociopaths, so I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Isn't conservative Russia just Communism? 

My issue with him is he seems to have zero problem doing something he really shouldn't then flat out denying he had anything to do with it. He has real sociopath qualities. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about and yet you just want to jump on the "let's hate on Putin" bandwagon. This is a good idea for Russia because of exactly what the replies above state. Of course, it will have some cons, but overall it's a good move.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I have a feeling you don't know what you're talking about and yet you just want to jump on the "let's hate on Putin" bandwagon. This is a good idea for Russia because of exactly what the replies above state. Of course, it will have some cons, but overall it's a good move.

I didn't disagree with that sentiment. I wasn't strictly talking about this topic specifically. 

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

My issue with him is he seems to have zero problem doing something he really shouldn't then flat out denying he had anything to do with it. He has real sociopath qualities. 

He's a politician so he probably has some sociopathic tendencies, as most do.  But I would put him under the category of a strong, conservative, nationalistic leader.  That is something that the leftists really hate, thus the negative media attention.  And no, conservative Russia is not communism.

His move to get away from American produced tech is smart for Russia.

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I didn't disagree with that sentiment. I wasn't strictly talking about this topic specifically. 

Neither was I. Sure, he does a lot of crap sometimes, but that doesn't make him completely awful. He is a smart man and along side the bad things he does for his country (and others) he does plenty of good things too.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'd say he's still better than Trump...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

30 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You mean the next one, after the USA was responsible for the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, and former Ukraine? What makes you so sure on the betting-odds? I would expect that the nation responsible for the next war would be the same as the one responsible for all of the others that are currently ongoing.

https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

You come across to me as someone who hears person A, who ate the chocolate, claim that person B ate the chocolate, and then just believes person A based on nothing at all.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

27 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

russia is not communist with putin in charge... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Conservative Russia is a traditionalist, autocratic, and christian nation.  It's more of National Capitalism than Communism, with some pretty decent tax cuts, and a largely proud people, despite their awful driving.  If anything--the next war will be started by the U.S. if Hillary wins, or by NATO trying to agitate Russia or just on-going attempts by U.S. regime change in the Middle East.  While his rule is under heavy debate - he has done much good for Russia, and it seems even Eastern Europe(Former Soviet states) seems to be taking more of a positive attitude toward him and Russia than the EU.  In Russia, every amp/dac is a tube!

13 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Conservative Russia is a traditionalist, autocratic, and christian nation.  It's more of National Capitalism than Communism, with some pretty decent tax cuts, and a largely proud people, despite their awful driving.  If anything--the next war will be started by the U.S. if Hillary wins, or by NATO trying to agitate Russia or just on-going attempts by U.S. regime change in the Middle East.  While his rule is under heavy debate - he has done much good for Russia, and it seems even Eastern Europe(Former Soviet states) seems to be taking more of a positive attitude toward him and Russia than the EU.  In Russia, every amp/dac is a tube!

#Tubeamps4lfe

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It is in Russia's security interests not to depend upon foreign vendors, just like America would be better off by making sure that critical internet infrastructure like routers, switches and so forth were build here in the United States instead of in China, where backdoors can more easily be slipped in at the hardware level. Basically, the farther away you have production of any particular device or service, the harder it is to verify that something hasn't been slipped into the recipe before the cake is put in the oven. Like Putin or not, it is in Russia's interests to do what he is doing.

Just now, TheSaint said:

It is in Russia's security interests not to depend upon foreign vendors, just like America would be better off by making sure that critical internet infrastructure like routers, switches and so forth were build here in the United States instead of in China, where backdoors can more easily be slipped in at the hardware level. Basically, the farther away you have production of any particular device or service, the harder it is to verify that something hasn't been slipped into the recipe before the cake is put in the oven. Like Putin or not, it is in Russia's interests to do what he is doing.

I'll just say this. I hope Australia goes along the same route, because things in the US are getting kind of buggered. That and a lot of governmental departments still use Windows 98SE and XP.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Windows 10 with all of its fancy UI tweaks is nice enough to look at, but many IT admins I've talked to aren't crazy about certain features being enabled by default, such as the P2P sharing of network resources to distribute updates over the internet. Simply put, Windows still leave a lot to be desired from the security/privacy standpoint.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

You mean the next one, after the USA was responsible for the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, and former Ukraine? What makes you so sure on the betting-odds? I would expect that the nation responsible for the next war would be the same as the one responsible for all of the others that are currently ongoing.

https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

You come across to me as someone who hears person A, who ate the chocolate, claim that person B ate the chocolate, and then just believes person A based on nothing at all.

Do you mean Russia doesn't have a hand on those wars? Please...

Though it may be good for state security, it would not help with overall productivity (it can actually reduce it).

The quality of the russian made software come into question as they have yet to prove they can hire and retain the best engineers. 

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

So basically what I'm hearing is Russia doesn't want foreign companies spying on it's people as well, it wants to be able to do that itself with software it knows will give the Russian government the information they desire.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Do you mean Russia doesn't have a hand on those wars? Please...

Iraq and Afghanistan? No. Libya? No. Syria? Only after the USA supplied weapons to rebels and invaded the country... so, again, 'No' to Russia having a hand in that war being started.

In Ukraine? It was the USA who spent $5 billion funding very bloody and violent anti-government protests to overthrow former-Ukraine's democratically-elected government, not Russia. So, again, 'No' to Russia having a hand in that war being started. The only thing Russia has done there is accept Crimea's application to accede to Russia - which is something that Crimea has been trying to accomplish for over 2 decades. And, helping East Ukraine, who also don't want anything to do with the neo-Nazi regime in West Ukraine, which was installed via a coup which overthrew Ukraine's constitution, and therefore nullified any internationally-recognizable legal status of Ukraine.

These are all very clear-cut wars that the USA has started, or sponsored and fostered. Saying that another country got involved after the USA started these wars does nothing to change the reality that these are all wars that the USA is responsible for.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So basically what I'm hearing is Russia doesn't want foreign companies spying on it's people as well, it wants to be able to do that itself with software it knows will give the Russian government the information they desire.

No, I think it's just Russian government systems that they want to switch.  They don't care what the people use.  The Russian government's mass surveillance is a separate issue.  

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

No, I think it's just Russian government systems that they want to switch.  They don't care what the people use.  The Russian government's mass surveillance is a separate issue.  

That makes sense, start with the government first and then eventually move to the civilians. Sneaky sneaky, lol

Doesn't surprise me though that they want to try and get away from other countries and go with state made stuff, of course if it will be any good is doubtful.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: