Flying with Desktop PC - Tips and Tricks

BAPEsta

Hey guys! 

So some friends from the UK are looking in to going to DreamHack Winter next month and they are worried about flying with their Desktop PCs.
I'm not entirely sure if this thread fits in any Forum Section so I put it here in Off Topic. 

What I'm looking for is tips and tricks for flying with a Mid-tower Desktop PC, one of the cases is the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.
My idea is to take out the Graphics Cards and the HDDs and pack them in the hand luggage, then fill the inside of the case with soft materials, clean clothes or bubble wrap maybe before putting it into a Hard Case travel bag.

Does any of you guys have experience of flying with your Desktop PC? 

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

Hey guys! 

So some friends from the UK are looking in to going to DreamHack Winter next month and they are worried about flying with their Desktop PCs.

I'm not entirely sure if this thread fits in anywhere so I put it here in Off Topic. 

What I'm looking for is tips and tricks for flying with a Mid-tower Desktop PC, one of the cases is the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.

My idea is to take out the Graphics Cards and the HDDs and pack them in the hand luggage, then fill the inside of the case with soft materials, clean clothes or bubble wrap maybe before putting it into a Hard Case travel bag.

Does any of you guys have experience of flying with your Desktop PC? 

Don't fly it, ship it. Here is a good general guide.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I don´t have much to help with here but you could probably have put this in the "General Discussion" thread :) It ain´t really that off-topic ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

taking out the hard drives and graphics card is a good idea, since its a long flight i would look at making a box out of wood then lining it with about 3 inches of foam, the wood will reduce the chance to stuff stabbing it.

but truthfully i would be looking at either making a smaller computer to take or a laptop as its going to cost heaps for extra baggage

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I don´t have much to help with here but you could probably have put this in the "General Discussion" thread :) It ain´t really that off-topic ;)

agreed general discussion you will most likly get a more educated suggestion

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Origin PC's ship their custom made computers to their customers by air. I have seen some Origin PC unboxings and they put A WHOLE TON of I think bubble wrap and VERY THICK foams inside their chassis, with all the components still intact. They also ship the whole thing inside a wooden box to avoid any stabbings and bad handling.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Proper shipping will unfortunately not be suitable since it's a 4 day event and the whole trip will be 6 days. I also think that would cost way too much. 

The actual time in the air will not be long since the flight from The UK to Sweden is about 1-2hrs. 

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

If its an mITX then it will fit in the luggage. If its mATX, ATX or bigger then theres not much point. Of course in both cases (taking it with you or shipping) ALWAYS remove the graphic card (for safety also other PCI cards) and place it in their boxes. Other way is to take pc apart and take it without your case. Youll have to use ex. motherboard box as a ghetto testbench/stand.

I have mITX build in Prodigy and tested it to fit my travel luggage and it fit...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

If its an mITX then it will fit in the luggage. If its mATX, ATX or bigger then theres not much point. Of course in both cases (taking it with you or shipping) ALWAYS remove the graphic card (for safety also other PCI cards) and place it in their boxes. Other way is to take pc apart and take it without your case. Youll have to use ex. motherboard box as a ghetto testbench/stand.

I have mITX build in Prodigy and tested it to fit my travel luggage and it fit...

That's actually why I chose Prodigy, to be able to travel with it! :D

If you do have a large air cooler, you might want to remove that ask well as any drives and PCI-e cards (graphics cards). Pack everything with high density (non-static) foam. Wrap the case really well. Just be prepared for the case to get dropped/mishandled/dinged up.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Best solution if they REALLY NEED to take the PC with them for those few days is like i said take PC apart and go without a case. Put in all back (of course without the case that will stay home) and do something like this:

8425.jpg

GHETTO TESTBENCH FTW!

Ministry of StopIt!

Best solution if they REALLY NEED to take the PC with them for those few days is like i said take PC apart and go without a case. Put in all back (of course without the case that will stay home) and do something like this:

8425.jpg

GHETTO TESTBENCH FTW!

OCD Activate!!! No but seriously I'm getting a facial twitch.

OCD Activate!!! No but seriously I'm getting a facial twitch.

That pic is PURE GHETTO!

Even fans are taped on!

Ministry of StopIt!

That pic is PURE GHETTO!

Even fans are taped on!

I just want to run at the thing with handful of zip ties.

i have mATX and its smaller than the prodigy also theres an mATX prodigy so there like the same size why say theres no point for mATX when its the same size?

i have mATX and its smaller than the prodigy also theres an mATX prodigy so there like the same size why say theres no point for mATX when its the same size?

But most peeps buy larger cases even for mITX or mATX.

Ministry of StopIt!

But most peeps buy larger cases even for mITX or mATX.

true like the 350d which defeats the whole purpose of the these for factors -_-

1. buy a gaming laptop

2. take it with you

3. come back

4. return it within 15 days

Buy it from a big chain so there'll be no problems with getting your money back and make sure they do give you back cash instead of store credit before you purchase it. Also, buying it from a big chain won't be hurting small busisnesses.

I made my current rig specifically so it could fit in a carryon bag. a good thing you can do is have the chassis, and pack your clothes inside the case as padding. Then, if possible, carry the computer as carryon. I used THIS case, however a ProdigyM or Corsair 350D would only be a little bigger. For drives, I suggest an SSD boot and a 2.5" storage. They can handle more abuse. Replace the stock PSU with a Silverstone 450w SFX one and you're set.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

flying with a desktop pc ?

it is doable

just buy four GTX 480s and run furmark

hold on tight

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

• 9 months later...

Can't you take the whole pc in hand luggage? (Without case)

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd