Whiplash [450D][in progress]

kingdorian

Some of you might have read it in one of many posts I post about things for my new built.

It is not really a real casemod, I'm going to do a bit of modding, more on that later on in this topic.

Parts list

CPU: i7-4790k (or whatever the devils canyon is going to be called) but if it is not available in two weeks (if the rumors about it coming in September are right) I don't know what to do :P. I think I'll just grab a 4670k and when devils canyon is released I'll put in the devils canyon i7 and sell this chip or something like that.

CPU-cooling: h100i

Motherboard: Maximus vii hero. (It was this one or the z97 MPOWER but I went for this one because its made by ASUS and the crapload of features I probably don't even need)

GPU: powercolor royalace r9 290 (hopefully getting a second one in December) it was either this one or the tri-x (to go with the mpower board).

SSD: 480Gb crucial m500 (because its cheap...)

RAM: 2x 4Gb Hyperx fury 1866Mhz red, and 2x 4Gb Hyperx fury black

Case: 450D

PSU: seasonic m12II-evo

Cooling and little ascessoiry thingies are not listed.

No bulk storage, my 5TB ZFS is where I keep my bulk data and the couple gigs of other (the important) information will fit on my ssd.

No custom liquid cooling, I would love to do it but its to expensive for me.

What is the plan?

Going to built a pc :o you wouldn't have guessed.

No, the real plan is going to make an acrylic panel in my case kindof between the motherboard tray and motherboard, but through the whole case so also in the psu region and drive cage regions. 

Also I'm going to remove the 5,25" bays and place the psu there. So I can place a couple of fans in the bottom of my case to give my gpu some cool air. Also because its different then where "normal" people have their powersupply. I'm going to do a lot of finishing touches with acrylic and aluminium to make the whole think look better. I've it all planned out in my head, so it is a surprise for you guys what I'm exactly going to do. I'm going to mount my ssd somewhere where you can see it through the window.

As you could have read in the "show of your sleeving skills topic" I am going to do custom sleeving (paracord heatshrinkless style).

Here is a quick 'n dirty drawing of my plan:

450d.png
(Disclamer I cannot be helt responsible for any injuries to the eye caused by looking at this picture)

My amazing paint skills  ^_^

I've kindof already started working on this built so I'll post some pics of the work I've been doing the last couple of days tonight.

edit: update is delayed untill tomorrow I was working on it and then I forgot the time, its too late to do it now... (A built costs money, work is money and work is waking up early (for me atleast) )

edit: I renamed the built Whiplash (Yes its named after the MetallicA song :D )

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Why is the arrow in the bottom right corner red?

Because I fucked up with the colors in paint, I'll try to fix it, one sec. I didn't even notice it myself. oops

edit:

aaaaaaaaand it's gone

That sag tho. 

What is a sag? :P

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

What is a sag? :P

"Sagging" is another word for bending. You can see in the picture that the graphics card is bending due to it's own weight. 

Something like a backplate prevents that :)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

"Sagging" is another word for bending. You can see in the picture that the graphics card is bending due to it's own weight. 

Something like a backplate prevents that :)

Lol I suppose I should've known that  :rolleyes: . Thanks :P

Alright here we go.

Update 1.

First of all the pile of components:

P1000473.JPG

Note, the things on the bookshelf in the bottom left corner are boxes of the parts of my current pc.

The only things I need are the cpu, motherboard and gpu. Also I might need some small things like screws and a sheet of acrylic.

I started sleeving the cables a couple days ago:

P1000494.JPG

A picture of my (first ever) attempt at sleeving:

P1000472.JPG

This is the 8pin cable. Then I went on and did the 24 pin connector. It was a real pain in the ass to remove the pins from the connector but finally I got them all out of there. 3 of them broke though because I had to use too much violence to remove them (Involving a vice, allen key and a hammer). Poor little connectors. Then I realized I forgot to order new pins from mdpc. And since the owner of only shop I know of that sells them in the Netherlands is on holiday I went to look for other places to buy them. I found 4 shops electronic wholesales. All of them had weird things like 3 weeks shipping time (from China), a minimum order size of 50 euro's for individuals or a minimum of 1000 pins.

So I went to look on a Dutch forum and found a guy that ordered some thousand pins from China a while ago and was willing to send me some (45Male and 5female) they should arrive tomorow or the day after. So then I'll be able to fix the broken cables. 

Also I found out that the 24pin has a couple of double wires. Since my shrinktube hasn't arrived yet and it hopefully will tomorrow but it most likely will take untill monday that will have to wait and so do the fan cables, usb cables and things like that. This is why I haven't put the 24 pin back together yet.

For cleaness sake I ordered two bitfenix alchemy pcie extention cables (you will see the usage of them later on). I ripped of the sleeving: 

P1000474.JPG

And sleeved them with paracord yesterday afternoon:

P1000486.JPG

P1000477.JPG

Because of this shrinktube/pins stuff the sleeving is a little bit delayed. Here is what I have so far (and 20cables of the 24Pin).

P1000493.JPG

So yesterday night I went to work on my case, I removed the front panel, fans, fan filters and stuff like that so I had only left the metal "core". I did some drawing, measuring and some test fitting to see how everything is going to work out. 

Finally I tried to remove the 5,25" bays. When drilling out 4 rivets I saw it wasn't just attached to the metal frame with rivets but is is a piece of the same metal from the top/front that is bended over. So I took my disk cutter (No real men dont use dremels ^^) and cut the bottom of the 5,25" out of there so I can use the sides to mount my psu in between. 

Of this minor mod I haven't got any (decent) pictures.

So as you can see I've only done a very little bit of all the things that need to be done. One last question, how hot does a radiator (from the h100i) get? Does it get that hot it is going to melt any acrylic against it? I don't think so but just to be sure.

Also I'm very sorry for the crappy pictures, it was raining all day yesterday so I couldn't really take pictures outside (in sunlight) and since I'm crap at taking photo's foto's in artificial light always fail (outside also sometimes ;) )

Update 2

I have not really made a lot of progress this weekend because I'm still waiting on stuff to arrive.

I was planning on doing the cutting work on my case with an angled grinder but plans have changed and I've ordered a dremel. It should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday together with the plugs to make the internal psu power cord extension. So with the actual modding of the case is going to happen later this week.

About the sleeving, the replacement pins for the atx and other psu extention cables haven't arrived yet. Also the shrinktube has not arrived yet so I cannot finish the sleeving yet. I hope the shrinktube arrives tomorrow so I can sleeve stuff like the double wires, fan cables and internal usb cables.

Today I went to the hardware store and bought some stuff:

• a sheet of 4mm acrylic
  • some bolts and nuts
  • Black and white adhesive plastic
  • Sanding paper
  • tie wraps

Here a picture of the 5,25" bays with the bottom removed. The sides I'm going to use to mount the psu and then cover them with acrylic.

P1000525.JPG

Tomorrow the devils canyon cpu's should come out (on paper at least) so I'm planning on ordering my cpu, motherboard, gpu and some fans sometime this week.

Looks good so far. Great cable sleeving too!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Update 3

The pins I ordered have arrived yesterday. I just ordered the gpu! I made the final decision and went for the tri-x, I came to the conclusion there aren't any good r9 290's that fit my color scheme. But I'm planning to put a red and black back plate on that thing eventually. Also the dremel and connectors for the internal extension of the power cord should arrive tomorrow. I'm on a fishing trip and I'm going to a festival (METALLICA JEAH) so I won't be able to work on the project this weekend. That is not big of a deal though since the cpu is getting in shops at the 15th of June it seems.

edit: The shrink tube has also arrived so I hope I can finish the 24Pin tomorrow :D

Awesome cant wait to see the final product  :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8400 MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L GPU: Nvidia 9600gt PSU: Cooler Master 460w Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 RAM: Crucial 1x2gb & Super Talent 2x2gb DDR2 

Just a quick comment and you have probably noted it -  But based on the pull of the fans on your initial drawing you will be pulling a lot of dust from below he base into the pc ?

Just a quick comment and you have probably noted it -  But based on the pull of the fans on your initial drawing you will be pulling a lot of dust from below he base into the pc ?

I'm pretty sure the 450D comes w/ a dust filter there.

That is going to be a lot of fans in the end.

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

The 450D has a dust filter at the bottom and also it is going to sit on my desk so it won't be very dusty "under" the pc :)

Edit: also I'm back, so there will be some updates coming this week.

Update 4

Guess what time it is guys...
Yes finally an Update, I'm so sorry it took me this long.... :( All kinds of stuff, festival, work, graduating high-school (or atleast the Dutch equivalent) watching soccer and stuff like that:P.
But I got quite a lot done in the time, first I did the soldering for the double wires on the pci-e cables and 24pin. The double wires.

P1000559.JPG

Then I sleeved the last parts, so the 24pin, 8pin cpu and pci-e cables are done now. I quite like how they turned out myself.
P1000562.JPG
P1000558.JPG
P1000564.JPG
I didn't want to solder the pci-e cables so I only sleeved the parts that are going to be visible, the non sleeved parts will be hidden behind the mobo tray.
P1000560.JPG
After that I took my dremmel and did the dremmeling, however I spend one and a half hour searching for my safety glasses before I could start... After all I'm glad I did it. The first 2 grinding weels broke and some parts almost hit me in the face. So I got scared of that thing and decided to just use my jigsaw instead. I'm not scared of using just normal angled grinders or chainsaws and stuff like that at all but I didn't want to end up having to go to hospital because a piece of grinding weel was stuck in my cheek for example...

So I cut some parts with my jigsaw, but there where a couple of cuts I couldn't do with (spacewise) so I had to use the dremel after al. No more grinding weels broke but at the last cut the axel where you put the grinding weels on broke and the whole grinding wheel flew through the air and made a nice scratch on the paint on one of the window window frames of my house :(...

Also the cut was fucked up as you can see in the picture below, I'm totally not proud of this cut:
P1000555.JPG
Also all the little dots in the picture is sawdust and its gone now ;) Its not damaged. This cut it will have to do since it is going to be hidden behind acrylic anyway and there is no way you are going to be able to see it through the windowed sidepanel. But no worries there are also a lot cleaner cuts:
P1000553.JPG

After the cutting I can place the psu like this (as intended :)).
P1000565.JPG
P1000567.JPG
Also I'm almost done with the aluminum cover for the place where the psu normally would be and making the power cord extention that is going to be inside the case.

OMG your from holland me too and i am also from zuid-holland

OMG your from holland me too and i am also from zuid-holland

Nice another Dutchy. Where are you exactly from?

But lets keep things on topic :).

Update 5

Today I made the aluminium plate to cover the hole where the psu is normally mounted and finished the internal power extention cord. I still have to figure something out for hiding the back of the socket... I think I'll just make an acrylic thing around it :). Also the nuts on the bolts that hold the plate will be replaced with black capnuts.

P1000572.JPG

P1000568.JPG

looking good!!

Strange place for the psu. To each their own.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

Wow looks great new thought of putting the PSU in the DVD Drive bays but why not.

looking good!!

Strange place for the psu. To each their own.

What's the thinking behind putting the psu in such a prominent position? Do you need the floor space for cooling or something?

Because its possible :P But its not that prominent of a position, only about half of it will be visible trough the window. About the cooling, I'm going to put (as you can see) 3 140mm fans in the bottom for intake to get some fresh air at my gpu. (And in a couple of months it will be gpu's). I want them to run as cool as possibile because they tend to run pretty hot. Also I just wanted to do something different then the standard put the psu in the bottom thing but since this is my first real mod I did not want to go to crazy on it :). Also I've seen a lot of less logical placements of components.

Who needs optical drives anyway? :)

But I hope you all like it.

Any suggestions for fans or should I just go for the corsar af series? I actually don't want red LED fans because I don't want a red glow going through all of the case. The red highlights won't be visible since everything will be red. White LED fans is a possibility although I think red and black colored fans would look best...

Nice another Dutchy. Where are you exactly from?

But lets keep things on topic :).

from spijkenisse