iPhone 7 outlasts Galaxy S7 in 35-feet (~10 m) of water, survives 10 foot face-down drop (and from a helicopter)

These tests are pointless when you drop or send swiming one device...

These are massproduced phones and for real data you need something that is repeatable... 

Same as some cpu and gpu getting insane ocs and some getting like none. 

Even kids would understand aluminium alloy is more durable then best improved glass we can come up with. 

Still drop tests never take in to account internal damadge and just show working screen. Unlucky drop could make your phone explode at next charging time...

2 hours ago, mattebad said:

All of you guys fighting about the iphone 7 beating the S7 and I'm just here wondering how the revised Note 7 would stand against it 

There was a performance video of the Note 7 vs. the iPhone 7 where there was a bit of rendering involved as well as cycling through a whole bunch of apps and the iPhone 7 lapped the Note 7 and finished in just over half the time (1:40 vs. 3:15 iirc).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

There was a performance video of the Note 7 vs. the iPhone 7 where there was a bit of rendering involved as well as cycling through a whole bunch of apps and the iPhone 7 lapped the Note 7 and finished in just over half the time (1:40 vs. 3:15 iirc).

That's actually really impressive. It's a shame that the removed the headphone jack "just cease we can"  it really kinda ruined a great phone. 

- snip-

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Android and iOS are 2 different OS and they cannot be compared just in similar task basis...  android is much more advanced and mature and multi device platform, but iOS is closly optimized software which is rather limited not to stress performace like customization.

And it is not just cpu and gpu but also memory write and read speed!

Based on history android cpus always been more on power saving mode using high and low performance core mix, while apple choose more performance over battery life.

3 hours ago, Qwerty2323 said:

Android and iOS are 2 different OS and they cannot be compared just in similar task basis...  android is much more advanced and mature and multi device platform, but iOS is closly optimized software which is rather limited not to stress performace like customization. And it is not just cpu and gpu but also memory write and read speed!

Based on history android cpus always been more on power saving mode using high and low performance core mix, while apple choose more performance over battery life.

Literally none of that matters. At the end of the day the iPhone performs better. The fact that they're different platforms doesn't somehow make the better performance not perform better. And lets not forget that all testing is done with the "stock" ROM, so again, it's comparing out of the box performance of an iPhone 7 vs. out of the box performance of a Note 7. And again, what does it matter WHY/HOW the iPhone performs better? It performs better, and at the end of the day that's all the user should actually care about (in terms of performance). And if anything iOS/Apple's approach is more efficient (plus they're now doing the same big.LITTLE with the A10 chip).

And please explain how "android is uch more advanced and mature". And while you're at it, why don't you also explain how you would suggest comparing iPhone/iOS vs. S7/Android performance. The ONLY valid point "contesting" any of these performance videos is that, they generally use a test that doesn't behave anything like a user would, but then there are still articles/videos showing the S7/Note 7 is still more sluggish than an iPhone 7, which makes sense given that the A10 is quite a bit faster than an SD820/8890.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Since I dont have the time for this I will post the iFixit video where it was in a meter of water for 7.5 hours before they stopped it due to youtube not allowing for live streams past 8 hours. Also please stop trying to find something that isnt there. No where did I say that just because there are a few videos that it is conclusive. I said theres something to say. Not that is conclusive.

Nice way to worm out the argument. It's not "saying anything". All "its said" is a couple of vids and 1 from a helicopter. If you want to back up the claim of "its certainly saying something", give what other's and myself have asked which is conclusive proof aka multiple test's of the same devices, doing the same thing, over the same timeframe etc.

Congrat's to ifixit and the dude with the helicopter, they both have iphones that are pretty durable. That's all that was proven.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

24 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Literally none of that matters. At the end of the day the iPhone performs better. The fact that they're different platforms doesn't somehow make the better performance not perform better. And lets not forget that all testing is done with the "stock" ROM, so again, it's comparing out of the box performance of an iPhone 7 vs. out of the box performance of a Note 7. And again, what does it matter WHY/HOW the iPhone performs better? It performs better, and at the end of the day that's all the user should actually care about (in terms of performance). And if anything iOS/Apple's approach is more efficient (plus they're now doing the same big.LITTLE with the A10 chip).

And please explain how "android is uch more advanced and mature". And while you're at it, why don't you also explain how you would suggest comparing iPhone/iOS vs. S7/Android performance. The ONLY valid point "contesting" any of these performance videos is that, they generally use a test that doesn't behave anything like a user would, but then there are still articles/videos showing the S7/Note 7 is still more sluggish than an iPhone 7, which makes sense given that the A10 is quite a bit faster than an SD820/8890.

Riiight, so something that's based on performance vs something that is based on a mix of thing's has no bearing on the test. You have literally said to discount their OS's and go with "nu dis phone out of box faster, it win" 

That's like comparing a purpose built race car vs an everyman road car and feeling smug the race car is faster. Both engines are pointed at completely different goals.

Did you even read what you wrote ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

26 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Riiight, so something that's based on performance vs something that is based on a mix of thing's has no bearing on the test. You have literally said to discount their OS's and go with "nu dis phone out of box faster, it win" 

That's like comparing a purpose built race car vs an everyman road car and feeling smug the race car is faster. Both engines are pointed at completely different goals.

Did you even read what you wrote ?

Yes, and it still makes perfect sense. Most people don't root their phones. Most people use their phones EXACTLY how they come out of the box. And even if you consider other ROMs, the iPhone 7 will still come out ahead as it has faster hardware with better optimization. Feel free to show some performance metrics proving the opposite then.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Nice way to worm out the argument. It's not "saying anything". All "its said" is a couple of vids and 1 from a helicopter. If you want to back up the claim of "its certainly saying something", give what other's and myself have asked which is conclusive proof aka multiple test's of the same devices, doing the same thing, over the same timeframe etc.

Congrat's to ifixit and the dude with the helicopter, they both have iphones that are pretty durable. That's all that was proven.

So you want me to get 1000 tests like the other guys have said? You are not going to get that many tests of it. Take whats given. Its got good water resistance. No one has said its that its proof that all iphones are that durable. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

9 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Well one drop test will definitely have more credibility than benchmarking a silicone because there are too many uncertainties to draw out a definite conclusion.

ANd second, although you wont find many helicopter drop tests, you will find the regular drop tests and the iPhone 7 objectively performs better than 6S and many other phones (which was the entire point by going overkill with a helicopter)

No, at best this test is inconclusive and at worst, it's click bait. If they were to conduct the same test again with a new iPhone 7 and it broke, would you conclude that it doesn't surpass it's IP67 rating?

49 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Again, there are probably countless normal drop test videos on YouTube now and pretty much in most of them iPhone 7 generally performs better than 6S and way better than S7. If you want more helicopter videos, please feel free to donate me or someone a helicopter and iPhone to conduct the test again.

Apple doesn't accidentally make their iPhone more durable. It survived because it was built pretty damn well and if you cant accept it, then you better get out of this thread

3 minutes ago, Repost said:

No, at best this test is inconclusive and at worst, it's click bait. If they were to conduct the same test again with a new iPhone 7 and it broke, would you conclude that it doesn't surpass it's IP67 rating?

There are a lot of water test video, and iPhone doesn't seem to be failing in any of it. The one I linked is probably an extreme case (although I don't think its saltwater) and yet it survives. In normal conditions, iPhone doesn't show any signs of ever being underwater. Feel free to go and search for iPhone 7 water tests, because by now there at least 100 videos

Honestly, I dont get why ppl do this kinda of staff. Its pure stupid. Bottom line, don't drop your phone from a helicopter. Yes its impressive it survived and so what? Also those other drop test videos with 10m 50m 100m drop (with a estereggs, gummybears sometime), I dont know y so many ppl even like it. its has no purpose whatsoever. Its basically just a clickbait and collecting money AND people buy it. just nonsense. You spend almost 1000 dollar on a piece of hardware, take care of it, dont abuse it!
That 10m water diving too, the phone is not intended to use in that condition and you shouldn't be using it in that condition either. You want underwater camera? go get a dedicated equipment.

5 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Honestly, I dont get why ppl do this kinda of staff. Its pure stupid. Bottom line, don't drop your phone from a helicopter. Yes its impressive it survived and so what? Also those other drop test videos with 10m 50m 100m drop (with a estereggs, gummybears sometime), I dont know y so many ppl even like it. its has no purpose whatsoever. Its basically just a clickbait and collecting money AND people buy it. just nonsense. You spend almost 1000 dollar on a piece of hardware, take care of it, dont abuse it!
That 10m water diving too, the phone is not intended to use in that condition and you shouldn't be using it in that condition either. You want underwater camera? go get a dedicated equipment.

It's still nice knowing you don't have to treat your phone like a baby. Accidents happen. So, sure, you shouldn't drop your phone from waist height, and of course you shouldn't go swimming with your phone. But both things do happen. Would I not get a phone because it will break if I drop it or go swimming with it? No, that wouldn't be enough to sway me, but it is a nice selling point either way. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's still nice knowing you don't have to treat your phone like a baby. Accidents happen. So, sure, you shouldn't drop your phone from waist height, and of course you shouldn't go swimming with your phone. But both things do happen. Would I not get a phone because it will break if I drop it or go swimming with it? No, that wouldn't be enough to sway me, but it is a nice selling point either way. 

I agree, a waist height even face height drop is fine. BUT not 10m 50m and 100m AND helicopter height and especially some time with estereggs or gummybears bundled together with the phone, I am like wtf but there are 10k+ likes or so. Those ware just pure stupidity.

Same with swimming. I am sure you wont go 10m diving with your normal cloth. normal swimming is like 2-3 meter and test those scenarios is good enough.

Those videos that abuse the crap out of a phone to test durability with unreal condition is just clickbait and collecting money without giving out any real usefulness.

On 19/9/2016 at 9:16 PM, Repost said:

What does 1 run of a test tell you? Nothing. All it tells you is that the iPhone 7 might survive a fall from a helicopter. It's the same as looking at one review of a 6700k to determine its overclocking capability. 

Those phones are made to be the same as the others with certain probability because of quality control so so it does says something. It might be an outlier, yes, but chances are it's not. 

On 19/09/2016 at 9:10 AM, Paragon_X said:

Just recently it was showed that the iphone 6 after some time it bends and some touchscreens stopped working. Compared to 6s the 6 is flimsy.

Source: Iphone 6 owner.

"It was showed" by the Unboxthereapy guy going out of his way to destroy the thing. It was also shown by Consumer Reports that all phones this generation are much flimsier than last generation, but the iPhone 6 and the HTC One M8 took the exact same force, when force was actually measured objectively, to bend.

I've had my iPhone 6 since February 2015 and I haven't been particularly gentle with it, and it's just as flat as it's ever been.

Compared to the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6 is flimsy, but so is literally every current and last generation phone.

On 20/09/2016 at 8:31 AM, MrDynamicMan said:

That's actually really impressive. It's a shame that the removed the headphone jack "just cease we can"  it really kinda ruined a great phone. 

They removed it so that they could make it genuinely IP67, rather than do what Samsung did which was advertise it as IP67, show it submerged in a glass of water in their promotional material, but then it turns out if you do that with the real thing water gets in and it breaks. I don't see what the big deal is tbh, just leave the included dongle attached to your favourite pair of headphones.

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

They removed it so that they could make it genuinely IP67, rather than do what Samsung did which was advertise it as IP67, show it submerged in a glass of water in their promotional material, but then it turns out if you do that with the real thing water gets in and it breaks. I don't see what the big deal is tbh, just leave the included dongle attached to your favourite pair of headphones.

One of the stupidest things i've read, even in the video with the iphone the s7 holds up under its rating.

I'm just happy that, as an iPhone user, I can use my phone in the rain without worrying that it'll break.  The S7 is water-resistant enough to say the same.  In a sense, this is all that really matters.

On 9/18/2016 at 2:36 PM, DocSwag said:

That phone broke the concrete?!?

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?

It's fake.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's fake.

You're right, the crack isn't wide enough. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Its all about the money, money, money.

Oh I'm sorry, did the purpose of a business change in 2016? 

(also, reports show the iPhone 7 being more waterproof than the S7, so it also seems to be beneficial in terms of waterproofing, plus it allowed for a larger taptic engine -- which is a good thing). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

It does change when you create a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

Judging by iPhone sales, nobody seems to mind. 

Same thing happened with the disc drive on Macs. Apple, according to pundits, "created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist" yet look at any modern computer now, its very veryyyy rare to see a disc drive.

12 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Thats really funny , I remember the same argument years ago with the screen size. Iphone was selling the most , thus 4 inch screen obviously best size. Damn do these opinions change fast when the new top models are all with bigger screens.

So people aren't allowed to change their minds about what they want? As time goes on people are doing more and more on their phone and thus a bigger screen becomes more important (for some, and less for others). 

I had a Droid Razr Maxx and at the time I wanted to upgrade because it was a slow mess, so I had three main options: Droid Maxx, HTC One M7, or an iPhone 5s. I went with the 5s because I didn't want a big phone. A couple years later, my needs changed (I was spending more time on my phone and doing more internet browsing on it), and I was then willing to deal with the inconvenience of a larger phone because it suited my needs better most of the time. So I got a 6s+. Even now, there are times when I really miss having a 4.3" screen. It also makes a very big difference that phones have gotten thinner as they've gotten bigger. If 5.5" phones were still >10mm thick I wouldn't get one because it definitely does make a difference in one-handed usability. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 9/25/2016 at 8:37 AM, othertomperson said:

"It was showed" by the Unboxthereapy guy going out of his way to destroy the thing. It was also shown by Consumer Reports that all phones this generation are much flimsier than last generation, but the iPhone 6 and the HTC One M8 took the exact same force, when force was actually measured objectively, to bend.

I've had my iPhone 6 since February 2015 and I haven't been particularly gentle with it, and it's just as flat as it's ever been.

Compared to the iPhone 5 the iPhone 6 is flimsy, but so is literally every current and last generation phone.

The #Bendgate and such was way overblown and seemed like idiots trying to find something wrong. though now there is a known issue of the touchscreen stopping working /becoming disconnected though i don't think ive seen much conclusive evidence as to why 100%   BUT THIS was not known to be a problem when #bendgate started so yeah. 

You come off very overly bias they did not remove the headphone jack to make it genuinely IP67 there are many devices that are IP67 or better with headphone jacks  it does obviously lower there cost to make it waterproof though. i barley care they removed it personally and wont be that upset when my next phone doesnt have one.  but lets get real it wasn't cause thats the only way to make it water resistant 

Samsung phones rated at IP68 a higher rating then the iphone Though many test seem to show the iphone might be underrated. I Submerge my s7edge in a bath tub & Glass of water a few times and wash it with soap and water over the sink has not broken once. Though doing it close to bed time is a terrible idea cause it wont charge with moisture in the charging port. 

Overall at the end of the day there water resistant and neither apple or Samsung will replace a water-damaged phone anyway.