First Nvidia & AMD Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DX12 Benchmark appeared

Mr_Troll
1 hour ago, UndueHatred said:

not actually a bug, it's a feature of the Nvidia drivers that forces Pascal cards out of concurrent async compute if the game tries to run it (because they can't) into context switching

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Not surprized.

Fury X and Rx 480 should be this fast in all games. But GCN doesn't mix with DX11 at all and we got used to the subpar performance. 980Ti should never have been faster than a Fury X, according to what the hardware is capable of.

It's just that Nvidia releases cards which perform to almost their fullest potential at release while the AMD card get gimped by the drivers, relying on hardware async compute, which just isn't really good with DX11. AMD bet on the DX12-horse way to early.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Well, needs more work, I've seen it's beta so. But yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

AMD drivers have a higher CPU overhead versus NVIDIA drivers

Can some one explain what is CPU overhead????

And here I finally decided my next GPU would be the 1060. Back to the drawing board. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

When a driver has high cpu overhead it means it makes a lot of requests/actions to the cpu for that device to run. So a driver with low cpu overhead will use the cpu less to allow the device to run.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

When a driver has high cpu overhead it means it makes a lot of requests/actions to the cpu for that device to run. So a driver with low cpu overhead will use the cpu less to allow the device to run.

So if i am understanding right, it means dx12 makes GPU works more independently? it get its own cores and rams and run like a little computer other than a connected device?

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sounds like a really shitty DX12 port again....

Only 5% boost on radeon cards? Yea no shit then the Nvidia cards are suffering. Why the fuck can't developers not suck at DX12.

Well they made sure everyone knew it was a beta.
So there's still hope.... 

18 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

when you have high CPU overhead, the CPU is being asked to do more then it should do. Likewise, when you have low CPU overhead, the CPU does just the work it needs to, instead of doing a lot of extra work that will not help performance.

Vulkan/DX12 helps in multiple ways

First off, it removes the "driver" based CPU overhead (which for AMD has been pretty bad)

second off, by further spreading the workload over multiple cores/threads, you can balance the load on the CPU much more carefully. Thus not overloading the CPU, but keeping it fed with just the right amount of work.

So my OC 290x performs as well as a gtx 1080 in this game ? ok i don't know what to say honestly ...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

33 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

So my OC 290x performs as well as a gtx 1080 in this game ? ok i don't know what to say honestly ...

you should be a gent and offer your sincere condolences to buyers of Maxwell and Pascal products.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

So if i am understanding right, it means dx12 makes GPU works more independently? it get its own cores and rams and run like a little computer other than a connected device?

kinda, it just needs less or better utilizes host resources.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

We'll see what Vega will bring (besides HBM2), cause Polaris is a little weird. It's aimed more at 1080p and efficiency, but it lost a little of good ol' compute compared to Hawaii.

My 290X despite being similar at 1080p to a 480 (it's faster by quite a bit as it's OC'd), beats the 480 significantly in DX12 due to its beefy Hawaii XT chip and a wide, 512 bit memory bus (especially coming in handy at higher resolutions). Look at the difference between the 390X and the 480 at the first graph, that pretty much describes it, as it's got the same chip as my 290X, it's just higher factory clocked, so this is pretty much how much faster a 290X is over a 480 in DX12...

Yeah I'm feeling pretty silly for having bought a 980 now, the 295 x2 wasn't much more at the time than my EVGA 980 FTW. Though I guess it's 4GB effective VRAM may count against soon, versus a pair of 8GB 290Xs. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Yeah I'm feeling pretty silly for having bought a 980 now, the 295 x2 wasn't much more at the time than my EVGA 980 FTW. Though I guess it's 4GB effective VRAM may count against soon, versus a pair of 8GB 290Xs. 

980 was never a good value card, and is even worse value now, its 4GB of VRAM is a limiting factor that doesn't allow this card to go anything higher than 1080p tbh.

How could you not get a 295x2... A single 290X is very close to the 980 in performance, you can surpass stock 980 performance by overclocking, and in DX12 it literally shits on a 980... Now imagine having two of those on one card...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Did AMD sponsor this game? Like WTF...

It literally has an AMD logo as the first movie when you run the game. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

980 was never a good value card, and is even worse value now, its 4GB of VRAM is a limiting factor that doesn't allow this card to go anything higher than 1080p tbh.

How could you not get a 295x2... A single 290X is very close to the 980 in performance, you can surpass stock 980 performance by overclocking, and in DX12 it literally shits on a 980... Now imagine having two of those on one card...

It's fine for 1440p, though running two for 4K would probably be a bit optimistic. And to be fair to the 980 it's still a solid DX11 card which is largely what I have been playing in the 18-ish months I've owned the card, with no crossfire/SLI issues, and DX11 is probably what I'll mostly playing for the next 12. But yeah the 980 I think will get replaced next year, whereas the 295x2 would probably be good for a couple of years after that, unless the AIO pump died.

In defence of my choice, DX12 wasn't even being talked about back then, let alone benchmarks out in the wild. And I really wanted adaptive sync, and G-Sync was out but Freesync wasn't. And I would have needed a bigger case. But with hindsight, yeah I should have got the 295x2, but it's a bit late now.

If Nvidia's performance is worse in DirectX 12, why not just use DirectX 11?  The performance will vary between games anyway, regardless of whether or not you choose AMD or Nvidia.  Just use the card that performs the best in the games you play.

This whole notion that Pascal is useless doesn't hold much water because you're not just paying for the hardware.  You're also paying for the software suite which enables things like Ansel, adaptive v-sync, G-Sync, and ShadowPlay.  Granted, there are third-party software solutions to take advantage of the GPU H.264 encoding (i.e. OBS), but having that option baked into a software package makes it easy and convenient to use.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

It's fine for 1440p, though running two for 4K would probably be a bit optimistic. And to be fair to the 980 it's still a solid DX11 card which is largely what I have been playing in the 18-ish months I've owned the card, with no crossfire/SLI issues, and DX11 is probably what I'll mostly playing for the next 12. But yeah the 980 I think will get replaced next year, whereas the 295x2 would probably be good for a couple of years after that, unless the AIO pump died.

In defence of my choice, DX12 wasn't even being talked about back then, let alone benchmarks out in the wild. And I really wanted adaptive sync, and G-Sync was out but Freesync wasn't. And I would have needed a bigger case. But with hindsight, yeah I should have got the 295x2, but it's a bit late now.

It's meh for 1440p imho, I've been pushing 4GB of VRAM in my 290X at 1200p for quite a while, a 390X is a better 1440p choice for less money with twice as much VRAM and DX12 performance that's around 980Ti...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I find it mildly entertaining that reviewers continue to be "surprised" by Nvidia's performance dropping in DX12 over DX11.

We've already seen it half a dozen times.  Hitman, Tomb Raider and Ashes all showed the same thing.

Can we call a trend a trend yet?

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Not sure why this surprises anyone, looks at the compute power of the fury x. Amd has always had more powerful but poorly utilized cards. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

1 hour ago, Michael McAllister said:

If Nvidia's performance is worse in DirectX 12, why not just use DirectX 11?  The performance will vary between games anyway, regardless of whether or not you choose AMD or Nvidia.  Just use the card that performs the best in the games you play.

This chap gets it.

There is no visual differences between DX11 or 12, so just use the API in the game that gives you the best performance.

This applies to all games and GPUs.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, sgloux3470 said:

I find it mildly entertaining that reviewers continue to be "surprised" by Nvidia's performance dropping in DX12 over DX11.

We've already seen it half a dozen times.  Hitman, Tomb Raider and Ashes all showed the same thing.

Can we call a trend a trend yet?

Uhhh considering all of them no longer drop fps no we cant.

More like bad dx11>bad dx 12>decent dx11=> decent dx 12.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, ivan134 said:

This game uses the same engine as Hitman though where AMD is faster even in dx 11 because the it seems to be a compute heavy engine. AMD's gigantic gains in dx12 tend to be in games where they have a really huge CPU overhead in dx 11.

Also, the 470 is faster than a 1060 using Vulkan.

I don't know if I believe that... the 480 was margin of error different in 1080p by the 980, and the 1060 beats the 980 in doom by a small margin, but I guess all 4 cards could be very tightly packed.

Edit nevermind. Apparently the 1060 kinda sucks at doom for some reason. Losing to the 970. According to tech power up.  Guru3d has much different results. This is odd....

Anyways the 470 seems to be only an fps or two slower than the 480 in most titles, so it's a better value card than the 480. Esp since the 4GB model is a unicorn. Same enough deal with most cut downs in the past though.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS