Kaby Lake and Zen "only" on Windows 10

2 hours ago, Lays said:

There's ISO's all over OCN and other websites with windows 7 + XHCI skylake drivers slipstreamed into them that install just like a normal windows 7 OS.

And there's even tools from manufacturers like ASRock and ASUS that will add the driver into your ISO for you.

I guarantee it will be the same way with Kaby Lake and Zen, you're blowing all this out of proportion IMO.

Just to clarify: yes modification is possible and even likely. Windows can still detect and try to avoid that with checksums and things of that nature. But that would be actively trying to hinder users and I would be extremely surprised, even if this is Microsoft, that they would go that fucking far to stop users.

So it will most likely be entire possible in fact I think Microsoft will give in this entire stupidity eventually though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Lays said:

There's ISO's all over OCN and other websites with windows 7 + XHCI skylake drivers slipstreamed into them that install just like a normal windows 7 OS.

And there's even tools from manufacturers like ASRock and ASUS that will add the driver into your ISO for you.

I guarantee it will be the same way with Kaby Lake and Zen, you're blowing all this out of proportion IMO.

the tools in existence are based on Intel's driver and their tools - ASUS, GigaByte, AsRock didn't pull these out of their asses; do some research

in the case of Kaby Lake, Intel was quite clear - no Windows 7 or Windows 8(.1) drivers

“We are committed to working with Microsoft and our ecosystem partners to help ensure a smooth transition given these changes to Microsoft’s Windows support policy,” an Intel spokesman said.
"No, Intel will not be updating Win 7/8 drivers for 7th Gen Intel Core per Microsoft’s support policy change," he added in an email on Tuesday.

you guarantee it .... xD

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

That's not what they're saying. They're saying Microsoft have forced Intel & AMD to only offer latest chipset driver support to Windows 10.

So when AM4/Z270 come you will only be able to get drivers for Win 10 meaning Win 7 & 8 users will have a hard time getting stable OSes running. 

I'd have to ask what they're going to do about Windows Server? Server 2012 is based around 8 so are they going to not support Server 2012 either? 

Just force or manual install. Mass panic and "the sky is falling" in this thread.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

they dont have to support it - its x86 compatible - i can run windows xp on my sandybridge

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's a never-ending cycle. When XP came out, there were people clinging to 98 and 2000. when vista came out, no one switched if they had any sense. when 7 came out, people got forced into upgrading because 64bit XP was pointless, and 32bit would only recognize 3.x GB of Ram. Windows 8.0 was a joke and not worth upgrading to, however 8.1 was fine. DX12 is locked to Windows 10, and now Kaby lake and Zen, but people still cling to 7 and 8.1 because its the principle of the thing. Don't like windows 10 updating all the time? tell it your internet connection is a metered account and it won't update. Don't like being spied on? stop using technology. Hardware incompatibilities and crashing? Stop buying the cheapest no-name components you can find for your PC('s). I have windows 10 on a dozen machines with everything from Core 2 Quad, Richland, Sandybridge, Haswell, Ivybridge to Skylake, and not a flaw with the OS. tbh, its the most stable and self reliant windows M$ has put out - based on my experience.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

PS/2 is still included on most good motherboards xD

It'll be fine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Intel/AMD lost all my respect, sucking and stroking MS's cock, fuck off.

Its all Linux from now on, at least thats what the future looks like for me. Games have died some time ago so windows is pointless.

I just try to run my Windows XP disc on a Skylake build and it immediately gives me a BSOD saying my bios is not ACPI compliant.Went into bios disable all uefi features and enable legacy only. Nope that didn't work, still bsod with same error message.Don't know if Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen will have some bios restriction built in, where 7 to 8.1 will cause the same bsod, while Win10 does not.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well, I was planning on moving to Linux Mint in a few years, but looks like it's coming sooner than I thought. I'm upgrading to a new intel or Zen CPU next year, so it's Linux for me. Microsoft won't get to control what OS I use.

Something unrelated but funny to me. Windows 10 has only managed 20% usage, and 7 still has almost 50%, and that's after M$ forced people to upgrade to 10, and also with free upgrades. Imagine how low 10's usage would be without all that, under 10% most likely. M$ is desperate. lmao

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

49 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

Intel/AMD lost all my respect, sucking and stroking MS's cock, fuck off.

Its all Linux from now on, at least thats what the future looks like for me. Games have died some time ago so windows is pointless.

I'm with you there. If this is true, I'm switching to Linux Mint full time, because I plan on building a new Zen or Intel build next year (depending on how things turn out).

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

15 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

On their newer nucs you actually have to go into the bios and change a few settings to be able to run windows 7. And then for installing it you need to have an iso woth usb 3.0 drivers injected. As there is no usb 2 ports on the new nucs, and win7 doednt have a usb3 driver in its installer.

I have nothing useful to add to this discussion, but I love your specs. AMD POWAH yo! :) Bet you are excited for Zen?

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

According to this: https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Windows 10 only has a 21.13% market share which is pretty pathetic and not at all surprising while Windows 7 has 47.01%. If enough people continue to not upgrade, Microsoft will have no choice but to either fix Windows 10 or die out. Their company is already going down the drain, if you don't believe me, just look up how many people they fired this year. Their Windows Phone is dead, Xbox (and consoles in general) seem to be dying out too, anything they touch immediately get worse (take Skype for example).

Windows 10 is "free" sure, what this means is that they take all your data and sell it to Advertising companies so that those companies can give you better targeted ads. Lets be honest here, I have not seen an ad in ages and I am not going to any time soon, call it morally wrong to use AdBlock all you want, but I use it, you use it, Linus uses it and everyone else does too, Microsoft can either give us the products we want, or they can go bankrupt and someone else will make a new OS that doesn't spy on us and runs all the applications we need.

Well basicly windows10 is a pile of shit.

But tbh Windows7 is going downhill pretty quickly aswell.

With Microsoft backporting all the telemetry and spying ware back to windows7 aswell.

You can basicly block all those nagware updates.

But Microsoft stated since the windows7 update manager is completely broken, that they will bring out monthly rollup patches with certain security and OS updates, which will ofc contain nagware.

To be fully honnest if you dont want any backported telemetry tracking or nagware in your windows7, you basicly shouldn´t have had installed any any updates since March / April 2015.

Aside from only a very few security patches.

Long story short, there wont realy be much reason to stay on Windows7 for the average user over time.

MS backports the crap at you anyways.

If you dont want it, then Linux is the only alternative.

But to get more to the topic point.

Of course you will be able to install Windows7 or 8.1 on kabylake or zen.

But you will have to tweak the iso´s.

And if intel doesnt want to give any support, then the open source community will recompile some drivers most likely.

14 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I have nothing useful to add to this discussion, but I love your specs. AMD POWAH yo! :) Bet you are excited for Zen?

Oh extremely. I use this machine as my daily driver, but I have built intel machines and do envy the power. Zen is my hope that I can stick with amd. otherwise in a few years time ill need to jump ship out of necessity =[

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

22 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I plan on building a new Zen or Intel build next year (depending on how things turn out)

I was planning to build a Skylake PC last winter, but then they announced that they didn't want to support Skylake on Win7 either.  So I ended up going for X99 with a Haswell-E CPU. 

The generational improvements are so small that Sandy Bridge is still more than enough for most people's needs, so it's not like you'll be missing out on a lot of power by getting a slightly older CPU. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The generational improvements are so small that Sandy Bridge is still more than enough for most people's needs, so it's not like you'll be missing out on a lot of power by getting a slightly older CPU. 

Well that basicly highly depends on personal needs.

Sandybridge and Ivybridge cpu´s of course do lack on certain instruction sets like avx2.0 for example.

Which can be very benefitical to have if you use certain applications for certain workloads like video render.

But there ofc also other instruction sets aswell which certain older cpu´s lack on.

Yeah so? I don't think people with the newest hardware want to use an inferior OS anyway. If you have old hardware then W7 will work just fine for as long as it's still in extended support. It doesn't make sense to install such an old OS on new hardware.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

31 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well basicly windows10 is a pile of shit.

But tbh Windows7 is going downhill pretty quickly aswell.

With Microsoft backporting all the telemetry and spying ware back to windows7 aswell.

You can basicly block all those nagware updates.

But Microsoft stated since the windows7 update manager is completely broken, that they will bring out monthly rollup patches with certain security and OS updates, which will ofc contain nagware.

To be fully honnest if you dont want any backported telemetry tracking or nagware in your windows7, you basicly shouldn´t have had installed any any updates since March / April 2015.

I think telemetry and other crap started being back-added to Windows 7 in August 2015. If you have different information, please let me know. But there is a script that can be run to block all those unwanted updates, linked-to in my signature.

Right now, a pre-August Windows 7 or 8 installation is the only way to get a quality Windows (thankfully there are ISOs updated to right before August 2015, also linked-to in my sig). Everything after that is a marked decline in quality, especially Windows 10. Microsoft has screwed their company up from the inside, and is no longer capable of producing the level of stability, reliability, security, and functional design that Windows 7 has. It will be interesting to see what happens to Microsoft over the next few years, because each new decision they make seems to be further spelling their own demise.

It's telling that Windows 10 has only a 21.34% market share, while Windows 7 still has a 47.01% market share:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Despite all the forced updates, the in-OS nagging notifications, the bullshit advertising calling Win 10 (AKA the worst Windows since Windows ME) "the best Windows evarr!," and everything else... Windows 10 is one turd that plainly still stinks even after all the image-polishing it's received.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Hey all you guys out there still wanting to run an old operating system for no reason, why not switch to Windows 95?

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

11 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think telemetry and other crap started being back-added to Windows 7 in August 2015. If you have different information, please let me know. But there is a script that can be run to block all those unwanted updates, linked-to in my signature.

Right now, a pre-August Windows 7 or 8 installation is the only way to get a quality Windows. Everything after that is a decline in quality, especially Windows 10. Microsoft has screwed their company up from the inside, and is no longer capable of producing the level of stability, reliability, security, and functional design that Windows 7 has. It will be interesting to see what happens to Microsoft over the next few years, because each new decision they make seems to be further spelling their own demise.

It's telling that Windows 10 has only a 21.34% market share, while Windows 7 still has a 47.01% market share:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Despite all the forced updates, the in-OS nagging notifications, the bullshit advertising calling Win 10 (AKA the worst Windows since Windows ME) "the best Windows evarr!," and everything else... Windows 10 is one turd that plainly still stinks even after all the polishing it's received.

Well i have a couple of diffrent iso´s that are fully up to date untill a certain month.

I have one plain vanilla Windows 7 sp1 without any updates.

i also have one with all updates included framework patched till July 2012.

- I have on from May 2014.

- And i have one from April 2015.

I can tell you that the April 2015 iso, allready contained arround 4 nagware updates from the said list.

That isnt realy that much.

But it gives you an idea of arround wenn they started with backporting, and prepping for windows10.

There is also one particular update that allways have been in there from said 2012.

And that is the KB2952664 which basicly is an upgrade advisor, which was allready there for windows8 upgrade.

Linux is probably the only OS going forward, ReactOS seems pretty good but their development team is too small at the moment.

13 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Hey all you guys out there still wanting to run an old operating system for no reason, why not switch to Windows 95?

I can't speak for people who run old operating systems for no reason, because I run Windows 7, which is as modern as it gets (Windows 10 is just a re-packaged and grossly inferior version of Windows 7 and 8), and I run it for the reason because Windows 10 is a laughable steaming pile of invasive garbageware shit... but, if anyone runs an old OS for no reason, why would they switch to Windows 95? That would imply a reason, and you specifically asked people who run old OSes for no reason. Your question doesn't really make sense, I'm just pointing that out.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Linux is probably the only OS going forward, ReactOS seems pretty good but their development team is too small at the moment.

I tried playing arround with react OS, but it just didnt work for me.

It kept crashing in virtualbox and Gnome boxes for some reason.

I have not tried VMware or KVM container yet.

But yeah, lets pray for Vulkan to be a succes and widley adopted by game devs.

So that backporting AAA games to Linux will be become a thing.

That would be better for everyone, and will only bring benefits to anyone.

For game developers, they will have a larger buyers target, which will means more profit.

And for the Gamers Linux is open source and free to use.

I even think that it also might be reducing piracy of games aswell.

And if we look a consoles likes Playstation or Nintendo.

We can see that gaming on open source software is pretty doable with the right technology.

And for the desktop computer, that could be the Vulkan api.

23 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

It was discussed several times why the majority do not upgrade(and they have good reasons), if you cant remember use google.... #msfanboy