Kaby Lake and Zen "only" on Windows 10

3 hours ago, Sintezza said:

I tried playing arround with react OS, but it just didnt work for me.

It kept crashing in virtualbox and Gnome boxes for some reason.

I have not tried VMware or KVM container yet.

But yeah, lets pray for Vulkan to be a succes and widley adopted by game devs.

So that backporting AAA games to Linux will be become a thing.

That would be better for everyone, and will only bring benefits to anyone.

For game developers, they will have a larger buyers target, which will means more profit.

And for the Gamers Linux is open source and free to use.

I even think that it also might be reducing piracy of games aswell.

And if we look a consoles likes Playstation or Nintendo.

We can see that gaming on open source software is pretty doable with the right technology.

And for the desktop computer, that could be the Vulkan api.

Yeah, I agree, Vulkan being used by all game developers would be amazing.

As for ReactOS, I used VirtualBox, I selected Windows XP (32-Bit) as the OS, 1GB of Ram, 60GB Hard Drive and I used the latest version of ReactOS (Boot CD).

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Yeah, I agree, Vulkan being used by all game developers would be amazing.

As for ReactOS, I used VirtualBox, I selected Windows XP (32-Bit) as the OS, 1GB of Ram, 60GB Hard Drive and I used the latest version of ReactOS (Boot CD).

Ah lol i think i allready realise why it might not have worked for me in VB.

I gave it 4 cores oops haha. :D

7 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Ah lol i think i allready realise why it might not have worked for me in VB.

I gave it 4 cores oops haha. :D

Interesting, it does work with 4 cores, even with 8.

My PC has an i7-6700k and 16gb DDR4 RAM.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Interesting, it does work with 4 cores, even with 8.

My PC has an i7-6700k and 16gb DDR4 RAM.

Hmm okay, then i need to double check settings.

How are we doing here with staying on topic?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How are we doing here with staying on topic?

I've unsubbed from this discussion about 3 pages ago :$

Just now, zMeul said:

I've unsubbed from this discussion about 3 pages ago :$

When the OP gets chased off their own thread that's not a good sign...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

When the OP gets chased off their own thread that's not a good sign...

it didn't derailed that much, but I feel the topic ran it's course 

On 8/30/2016 at 7:20 PM, Misanthrope said:

Well go ahead and answer it: what specific performance and security features does Windows 10 has that cannot be implemented and patched into Windows 7? No, new features do not relate to better performance and security. New features should stand on their own merit for the consumer to decide. Performance and security however, better have a damn good reason to require an entire new OS.

I've never heard a good reason why they need Windows 10, other than Microsoft wants to sell new software. And despite your poisoning of the well we're not opposed to new features. Just not when they're forcefully shoved up your fucking ass to make you pay whenever you're ready to try said features or not.

And on top of that, Microsoft is datamining the shit out of everyone with their newest OS, unless you actively do things to prevent it. They are making so much money off what the datamining generates.

On 31/08/2016 at 2:04 PM, NumLock21 said:

Just force or manual install. Mass panic and "the sky is falling" in this thread.

Manual install what. If manufacturers don't write drivers then there's nothing to install. 

Chipset

Storage

USB 3 (for 7 at least) 

USB 3.1

Audio

On board video

Extra hardware like WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC that you get on top tier boards. 

Sure you can install 7 or 8 but without any of the above drivers your never going to achieve 100% functionality or stability. 

Remember these are brand new chipset so you cannot use old versions as none exist and trying to use drivers for older hardware simply won't work (try and install Intel Z97 chipset drivers on a Z170 and see what happens) so yes, you can install Windows but your stuck with no driver support for anything that's integrated onto the board. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Manual install what. If manufacturers don't write drivers then there's nothing to install. 

Chipset

Storage

USB 3 (for 7 at least) 

USB 3.1

Audio

On board video

Sure you can install 7 or 8 but without any of the above drivers your never going to achieve 100% functionality or stability. 

Remember these are brand new chipset so you cannot use old versions as none exist and trying to use drivers for older hardware simply won't work (try and install Intel Z97 chipset drivers on a Z170 and see what happens) so yes, you can install Windows but your stuck with no driver support for anything that's integrated onto the board. 

Certain drivers that was designed for a older OS will also work on a newer OS. Just have to manual install it, that means without running setup.exe.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Certain drivers that was designed for a older OS will also work on a newer OS. Just have to manual install it, that means without running setup.exe.

Agreed, but it's already the case that Intel chipset drivers, Intel storage drivers and Intel video drivers (video drivers in general due to WDDM being updated with every OS) all will not manual install on a Windows version they were not designed for. 

Plus as I said, these are brand new chipset so if you wanted to use drivers designed for an older OS you'd have to go back to Z170 drivers (for Z270) or AM3+ drivers (for Zen) and they simply will not work. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Agreed, but it's already the case that Intel chipset drivers, Intel storage drivers and Intel video drivers (video drivers in general due to WDDM being updated with every OS) all will not manual install on a Windows version they were not designed for. 

Plus as I said, these are brand new chipset so if you wanted to use drivers designed for an older OS you'd have to go back to Z170 drivers (for Z270) or AM3+ drivers (for Zen) and they simply will not work. 

What feature does Z270 have that Z170 don't have besides 3D XPoint and a newer graphics. Windows doesn't manual install, the user has to do it themselves. Just curious, how do you manual install a driver?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Chipset

Storage

USB 3 (for 7 at least) 

USB 3.1

Audio

On board video

Other than chipset drivers (or USB3, for which there already are Intel Windows 7 drivers), those things aren't dependent upon Intel and Microsoft, but their hardware manufacturers. Since Windows 7 still has, by far, the largest install base out of all Windows OSes (more than double Windows 10), guess which Windows OS hardware manufacturers are most guaranteed to be making drivers for? That won't change anytime soon.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 8/31/2016 at 1:49 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Win 10 (AKA the worst Windows since Windows ME)

Don't you fucking dare. The only OS that comes close to Windows Me in terms of overall shittiness is Mac OS 9.

Source: I've used both, they're almost equally broken and unstable.

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

What feature does Z270 have that Z170 don't have besides 3D XPoint and a newer graphics. Windows doesn't manual install, the user has to do it themselves. Just curious, how do you manual install a driver?

It's not about features though. Do you not know how drivers work? 

Inside the inf file there is a specific set of hardware ids defined and as the driver installs Windows checks the ids from the inf with the actual Id of the hardware, if they match then they install, if they don't match they don't install. Now granted it's possible to force windows to ignore the ids and install anyway but seriously suggesting that forcing a Z170 driver onto a Z270 system would work fine makes we think you really don't know how drivers work, at all. If the hardware ids don't match then the driver will not work no matter if you force it or not. 

Also FTR it's possible to include "OSVER=XX" in the inf file so it will fail on the wrong OS even during a manual forced install (the driver will go through the install process but Windows won't even try and load it as it knows it's for a different windows version).  

7 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Other than chipset drivers (or USB3, for which there already are Intel Windows 7 drivers), those things aren't dependent upon Intel and Microsoft, but their hardware manufacturers. Since Windows 7 still has, by far, the largest install base out of all Windows OSes (more than double Windows 10), guess which Windows OS hardware manufacturers are most guaranteed to be making drivers for? That won't change anytime soon.

Chipset, storage & intergrated video are all Intel/AMD drivers. As for USB 3, see above. A simple hardware Id change and your old drivers don't work anymore. 

Did you even read the OP, that is literally the point of this topic. Intel & AMD will NOT create drivers for any OS other than Win 10 when they launch Z270 & AM4.

just upgrade to windows 10 problem solved it works perfect for me 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

1 hour ago, Eroda said:

Great for you, now go back and continue your life as a sheep while we sort out what to do...>:(

(This level of ignorance is too much even for me, it just triggered the blow-off valve...)

2 hours ago, Eroda said:

Windows 10 is bugware, dude. Gotta Norton that shit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Great for you, now go back and continue your life as a sheep while we sort out what to do...>:(

(This level of ignorance is too much even for me, it just triggered the blow-off valve...)

Except that the sheep are the ones who follow the majority. Now considering the majority are the ones bashing 10 and claiming 7 will be the last OS they ever use...

Who exactly is the sheep here? Who is the one bashing the OS they've never even used simply because its what the cool kids are doing?

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Windows 10 is bugware, dude. Gotta Norton that shit.

That's like adding rabies to your ebola.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Who is the one bashing the OS they've never even used simply because its what the cool kids are doing?

Except the mentioned 'cool kids' are IT-professionals. Supporters, devs, sysadmins, you name it. People like me who keep an eye on this shit professionally, and actually know what they are talking about. Just go on over to r/sysadmin and ask the people over there how thrilled they are about dealing with Win10 and Microsoft's shenanigans.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.