AMD Releases More Details on Zen's Architecture

HKZeroFive

Hmm... I'm assuming then that these are the slides AMD will be showing off on Tuesday at HotChips. Kul.

I understood about 20% of everything lol so hopefully some more news sites can break it down more :D.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

im going to flip my shit if AMD screws up pricing and puts the 4c/8t processor at the same as a I7 6700 or something. i dont think that would be good for anyone but intel. AMD DONT FUCK UP THE PRICE I WANT A NEW CPU YOU SHITS lol

*edit*

also this was a really great post, thanks OP

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, Thony said:

Im sure u mean 4/8. 

And 4/8 is basically FX8120 which did cost around $200 at launch so im hoping Zen doesnt go much over that.

24 minutes ago, Thony said:

AMD and "high end" dont go together :D

I doubt Zen will be revolutionary amd bring AMD to high end market. $500 is more than i7-6700k. AMD cant compete with that with tgat price tag.

This is an entirely different beast. The FX processors were priced based on performance. It could not compete so the price was severely reduced.

You won't get an 8C/16T for $200 unless it launches with extremely disappointing performance. It's not really competing with 6700K either. Vastly different products and not even $500 would get you 8 cores from Intel (it just barely gets you a crippled 6 core actually), so where else would you get those 8 cores that you need? AMD won't really be undercutting Intel in any major way. They need the money and it's a dangerous precedent to set and it's dangerous considering the deep pockets of Intel.

So it's a ridiculous assumption to make that AMD would be handing out 6900K equivalent (best case scenario) processors for 1/5 of the price. 

Those are quite of details. Wish to see more real world benchmarks now, even though it's ES still. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'll be waiting until Zen is available for your average consumer to join the hype train.

All early benchmarks (against competitors) will tell me is the intended market that they are aiming to reach. And a minor suggestion of the price bracket.

Here's a hint, if they compare themselves to something priced at $200. Then it it very likely that they will price it as such.

I mean every time AMD went the traditional route and didn't attempt to make a complex and unorthodox core ( like bulldozer ) , they always came out at least decent...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I mean every time AMD went the traditional route and didn't attempt to make a complex and unorthodox core ( like bulldozer ) , they always came out at least decent...

All we can hope for is the Zen launch to not be another one of their stunts where whey show a shitload of data and graphs that prove to be very incorrect.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

After digging around some. Equivalent Intel Xeon that you can get that has 8 cores (16 threads) that boosts up to 3GHz (2.1 stock) comes in at a price of $400, which would be the E5-2620v4.

Which can probably give you a minor suggestion of where AMD might want to price their product at. Since we have no indication of any sort of overclockability, or anything. We have no idea if this chip come at 3GHz out of the box, or if that is a boost clock.

So I felt that putting the Xeon mentioned to the Zen would be comparable.

4W TDP? Looks like a good competitor to Intel's core M lineup.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

I don't really want to spend ages explaining what the original factors that held the design team for Bulldozer were but I guess I'll have to. First of all, CEOs like Hector and Dirk cut R&D spending massively and made very shitty decisions. 

I forgot about that. But even then its been so long i dont believe in AMD's comeback especially after latest rumour on how that one zed sku performs close to some i5. Topic is burried somwhere, but im sure u know what i mean.

Eitherway we find out soon enough. And if comeback of their best ever engineer doesnt help then nothing will i guess.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

After digging around some. Equivalent Intel Xeon that you can get that has 8 cores (16 threads) that boosts up to 3GHz (2.1 stock) comes in at a price of $400, which would be the E5-2620v4.

Which can probably give you a minor suggestion of where AMD might want to price their product at. Since we have no indication of any sort of overclockability, or anything. We have no idea if this chip come at 3GHz out of the box, or if that is a boost clock.

So I felt that putting the Xeon mentioned to the Zen would be comparable.

The chip ES chip was 2.8 ghz base, 3.2 ghz boost.  Amd have alway allowed at least some overclocking on their products 

Aso,  the chip they showed off was 3ghz base,  as a boost clock only works on one thread

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

13 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The chip ES chip was 2.8 ghz base, 3.2 ghz boost.  Amd have alway allowed at least some overclocking on their products 

Aso,  the chip they showed off was 3ghz base,  as a boost clock only works on one thread

The Xeon chip I mentioned is 2.1 base, 3.0 with boost. http://ark.intel.com/products/92986/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v4-20M-Cache-2_10-GHz

But regardless, my point still stand that we still do not know a lot when it comes to Zen. I would love it if they priced their CPU's really competitively.

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

This is an entirely different beast. The FX processors were priced based on performance. It could not compete so the price was severely reduced.

You won't get an 8C/16T for $200 unless it launches with extremely disappointing performance. It's not really competing with 6700K either. Vastly different products and not even $500 would get you 8 cores from Intel (it just barely gets you a crippled 6 core actually), so where else would you get those 8 cores that you need? AMD won't really be undercutting Intel in any major way. They need the money and it's a dangerous precedent to set and it's dangerous considering the deep pockets of Intel.

So it's a ridiculous assumption to make that AMD would be handing out 6900K equivalent (best case scenario) processors for 1/5 of the price. 

I fully agree.

We won't see the 8 core Zen chip for prices we've seen from AMD in recent years, but I do expect them to be lower.

I am thinking Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4 pricing.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

13 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I fully agree.

We won't see the 8 core Zen chip for prices we've seen from AMD in recent years, but I do expect them to be lower.

I am thinking Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4 pricing.

I don't recall the prices on those, but probably.

If they price the processors too low, they might end up setting a precedent. So if they price them low on the first generation of Zen to gain market share but raise prices considerably on Zen+, they'll end up with a lot of backlash if they would try to pull that. Also, it would be foolish trying to start a price war with Intel. Intel can go lower than AMD can if they want to. Intel can subsidize or give other incentives so it would be a futile effort to try to do that. Finally, there's their massive debt and there's a need to be profitable. Billions spent on R&D need to be recuperated. That's where selling expensive chips come in. It's all supply and demand. There is room for some big 8C/16T CPU(s) and at the right price, it'll win AMD a lot of customers. They'll most likely be lower in price but not "50% off" lower.

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

depends. Locked AMD chips are truly locked, and simply wont enjoy BCLCK OC.

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I don't recall the prices on those, but probably.

If they price the processors too low, they might end up setting a precedent. So if they price them low on the first generation of Zen to gain market share but raise prices considerably on Zen+, they'll end up with a lot of backlash if they would try to pull that. Also, it would be foolish trying to start a price war with Intel. Intel can go lower than AMD can if they want to. Intel can subsidize or give other incentives so it would be a futile effort to try to do that. Finally, there's their massive debt and there's a need to be profitable. Billions spent on R&D need to be recuperated. That's where selling expensive chips come in. It's all supply and demand. There is room for some big 8C/16T CPU(s) and at the right price, it'll win AMD a lot of customers. They'll most likely be lower in price but not "50% off" lower.

They were cheaper and so was the overall platform, but not crazy cheap like some people here are expecting.

I 100% agree with you on the R&D comment, because they do need to recuperate that back.

I expect the AMD ZEN CPUs to be around $100~ cheaper than the comparable Intel equivalent.

You pair that with the typical lower cost of AMD motherboards, and you are saving an overall $200~ for the platform, which is pretty huge.

I think people are just spoiled that AMD has been in this budget segment for over half of a decade. AMD had to price their current generation and previous CPUs at budget prices simply to compete. IMO, they have not had a truly competitive architecture since K8 (Athlon64) and once the Core 2 architecture hit from Intel, they started to slip. The first generation Core architecture and then eventually Sandy Bridge, AMD has been a distant second ever since.

They can't price and won't price Zen like that this time around, as it should be comparable.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

5 hours ago, Thony said:

-snip-

Again it's been so long because CPU architectures take ages to make. Zen was started in 2012, and won't see consumer light until 2017. AMD has made do with Bulldozer as best they can, especially with it's power efficiency.

I suggest you watch the videos AdoredTV makes on Zen they're very comprehensive, and provide a realistic and comprehensive view of Zen. Oh and that leak is probably not real.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

8 hours ago, Thony said:

Expect to have $200-300. Cant see AMD aiming any higher.

Historically, when AMD is competitive on performance, they match Intel's prices.

Athlon Extreme, Phenom X6, and FX 9590. Each launched at $1000. Seriously, expecting 5960X performance for less than $700 is ludicrous. It's not going to happen.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Historically, when AMD is competitive on performance, they match Intel's prices.

Athlon Extreme, Phenom X6, and FX 9590. Each launched at $1000. Seriously, expecting 5960X performance for less than $700 is ludicrous. It's not going to happen.

Depending on how the Zen that was shown off is spec'ed in terms of base/boost clocks (not to mention if it's unlocked or not), then it goes up against anywhere from $400 Xeons up to $1,000 6900k i7's (Though, we don't know what generation of Intel CPU's they used).

But even then, a 6700k would probably be better overall in terms of performance for your average Joe.

Going by my own gut-feeling, then I'm just going to assume that they are going to price it around $350~400. At least when it comes to that particular chip that was shown off. At least if they want to price it super competitively. Else they can probably price it at $500.

All of this is pure speculations from my part though. So they can price it however they wish. I'm just looking forward to more alternatives.

6-core for $300 or bust

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

By the time Zen is available Kabe Lake will already be released increasing the IPC gap to Zen by 10~15% if the rumors are true it Zen is as fast as Broadwell.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

47 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It would be really nice if ZEN could compete with X99. Intel would finally start working hard instead of sailing with no wind for many years. I do not believe it will and I stand by my opinion until release date.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

True , but those were opterons. The rest at least had base clock overclocking available

That first graph had me very confused at first, they have "Performance" on the Y-axis and then on the right-end on the X-axis they have "More Performance" where it should be "More Power."

Almost had me thinking that Zen was somehow weaker than Excavator.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus