AMD Releases More Details on Zen's Architecture

HKZeroFive

Zen: Replacement for Jaguar and Excavator, extremely optimized

Zen is AMD's product for each market, AMD articulates once again. The recently leaked roadmap with Raven Ridge, that showed a product with a TDP of only 4 Watt is underpined by today. Because the manufacturer speaks of fanless notebooks which are driven with Zen. On the other hand, the architecture is hoisted up to supercomputers - Keyword Naples , the 32-core processor AMD showed live last Thursday for the first time. But this might not even be the end of the flagpole, special CPUs paired with a graphics unit for HPC s are also possible.

Spoiler

4-630.3988663024.png

Nothing left from Excavator

The changes compared to its predecessor are brutal - but just for a really new architecture is also thought. The buffer sizes for the individual segments are sometimes doubled, in most cases, but is at least an increase of 50 percent on the credit side, either in integer or FP scheduler and the load / store / Retire queues. Also the 168 entries comprehensive Physical register file in the integer level and the 160 for floating-point operations are among the innovations. AMD has extremely revised the L1 and L2 caches, for the first time since the old Opteron-times there are again 64 KByte L1 at the front. Coupled everything is as usual with improvements in branch prediction, garnished with SMT to pull out of a core two threads. AMD also brought along some new instructions like RDSEED over SHA1 / SHA256 to XSAVEC / XSAVES / XRSTORS many security features are now supported natively, the classic features such as AVX & AES are of course still on the field again. When looking at the competition and the architecture of Intels Haswell and Skylake it shows superficially certain similarities, the entries in the schedulers and buffers are exactly the same in some cases.

AMD summarizes Individual cores with the cache to a block of four, calling the new construct CPU Complex (CCX). On the four cores supports 8 MB L3 cache, the cache is divided into several slices. AMD stressed, however, that each core can access any portion of the caches in the CCX with the same latency. While the L1 and L2 cache bandwidth is increased by a factor of 2, it should even reach a factor of 5 in the L3 cache.

LARGE AMOUNTS OF IMAGES IN THIS SPOILER BOX:

Spoiler

6-630.4039457724.png

7-630.1262858105.png

8-630.1663522994.png

9-630.2716233526.png

10-630.274232464.png

11-630.1838658295.png

12-630.2968623445.png

13-630.1679917704.png

15-630.2713563378.png

No information on memory, I / O and other Uncore material

AMD actually behaves amazingly quiet in everything else which still accounts for a processor. Because its not done with the cores alone, at the forefront of course the familiar Northbrigde to the memory controller, the PCI Express lanes and any other material which was formerly always classified as Uncore. The rumors go there currently still in many directions, tangible facts are scarce. There is nothing more to do than to wait for the next few weeks, because should the release really happen yet this year, more and more information will be published.

Spoiler

14-630.3338864818.png

There seems to be support for thread prioritisation as speculated by dresdenboy earlier on in his blog here so that's a promising sign. What does remain ambiguous at the moment, however, is whether or not the decoders have the ability to produce 6 µops per cycle or if that's solely exclusive to the µop cache.  If they can, we might see varying amounts of capabilities amongst the decoder's lanes. There also appears to be a retirement bandwidth of 8 µops per cycle, which up to 7 can come from the ALU cluster, but it's not quite clear whether Zen does 8 µops or 8 instructions retired per cycle. At the moment, the former is seemingly the most likely answer.

Alright, so what does this mean exactly? Zen is basically the opposite of Bulldozer - completely reworked from the ground up and effectively shows AMD burning the bridges of that microarchitecture and opting for the more obvious route, which has a few similarities to Intel's own processors. All in all, it looks good but don't let the hype get to ya. Remain skeptical.

For anyone wondering how this information was obtained, AMD does have the presentation later on but all the information was given up front without a waiting period. Allowing us nerds to analyse every single bit of data for the time being.

If you have complaints about the OP's formatting, let me know and I'll simply put the slides into spoiler boxes.

TL;DR - AMD completely scraps any trace of Bulldozer and reworks Zen as a completely new architecture. It looks good. So far.

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-zen-architektur/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

So this is a leak? It's dated for tomorrow?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Welcome aboard the Hype Train to Anticipation Square, passing through Suspense Park. Refreshments will be served in the restaurant carriage throughout the trip. We advise any Intel fanboys or AMD haters please exit the train now so as not to inconvenience the other travellers. Please enjoy your journey, and remember: Zen is coming. Get hyped.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

So this is a leak? It's dated for tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

For anyone wondering how this information was obtained, AMD does have the presentation later on but all the information was given up front without a waiting period. Allowing us nerds to analyse every single bit of data for the time being.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Didn't see that, it was swamped with images.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I hope I have enough money for Zen when it releases. :/

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Didn't see that, it was swamped with images.

Sorry about that, I'll put them in spoiler boxes if more people feel the same way.

Spoiler

The pictures are good, but maybe try sticking some of them in spoiler tags. Makes the post a little easier to navigate.

Interesting info here, but there aren't really many surprises. We already knew it was going to be a total departure from the Bulldozer lineage, and the 40% IPC jump over Excavator (something like 60% over Piledriver) is what they've been saying for ages.

Just now, Sakkura said:

The pictures are good, but maybe try sticking some of them in spoiler tags. Makes the post a little easier to navigate.

Interesting info here, but there aren't really many surprises. We already knew it was going to be a total departure from the Bulldozer lineage, and the 40% IPC jump over Excavator (something like 60% over Piledriver) is what they've been saying for ages.

Let's just hope that it's true.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What does remain ambiguous at the moment, however, is whether or not the decoders have the ability to produce 6 µops per cycle or if that's solely exclusive to the µop cache.  If they can, we might see varying amounts of capabilities amongst the decoder's lanes.

Can't remember where I saw it confirmed, but it can decode 4/instruction per cycle or issue 6 uops per cycle from uop cache. (or a combination, decode 4 instruction and issue 2 from uop)

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

As much as Zen excites me, I want some information on K12 as well please AMD.

The cpu better be under $200 and have 4/6 cores!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

20 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I hope I have enough money for Zen when it releases. :/

Expect to have $200-300. Cant see AMD aiming any higher.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 minutes ago, Thony said:

Expect to have $200-300. Cant see AMD aiming any higher.

If it's as good as Broadwell then I expect prices of at least $500+ in the high end. I'd like an octa core, but I can settle for hexa easily.

12 minutes ago, themctipers said:

The cpu better be under $200 and have 4/6 cores!

Im sure u mean 4/8. 

And 4/8 is basically FX8120 which did cost around $200 at launch so im hoping Zen doesnt go much over that.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

Im sure u mean 4/8. 

And 4/8 is basically FX8120 which did cost around $200 at launch so im hoping Zen doesnt go much over that.

4 or 6 cores. not threads ;) 

also, NCIX tries to sell a fx 8xxx series for $250.. and yet they have an i5 6400 for the same price xD 

canada btw.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

If it's as good as Broadwell then expect prices of at least $500+ in the high end.

AMD and "high end" dont go together :D

I doubt Zen will be revolutionary amd bring AMD to high end market. $500 is more than i7-6700k. AMD cant compete with that with tgat price tag.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

4 or 6 cores. not threads ;) 

also, NCIX tries to sell a fx 8xxx series for $250.. and yet they have an i5 6400 for the same price xD 

canada btw.

My bad.

Oh Canada, they have potatoes there, not money :D

Just now, Thony said:

My bad.

Oh Canada, they have potatoes there, not money :D

potatoes are expensive here.

i'm pretty sure you meant we use playdoh right?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 minutes ago, Thony said:

-snip-

I don't really want to spend ages explaining what the original factors that held the design team for Bulldozer were but I guess I'll have to. First of all, CEOs like Hector and Dirk cut R&D spending massively and made very shitty decisions. Zen was designed by Jim Keller, the master architect that put Intel to shame with the Athlons, as well as this AMD has been pouring money into this. AMD for a short time achieved greater than Intel market share in 2006 because they had superior products but massive bribing of OEMs meant none of them used AMD's products. The chances that Zen will disappoint really aren't that likely, Bulldozer was AMD at it's worst.

I have my fingers crossed for AMD this time round. Benchmarks are looking very promising. Come on AMD!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Oh shit. It's that efficient?

Damn! To be as efficient as Jaguar is damn near impossible for a BIG core. (Jaguar was tiny and was like 5mm^2 per core and used very little power)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),