AMD Releases More Details on Zen's Architecture

HKZeroFive
3 hours ago, Agost said:

Given the specs provided by Anandtech here, I'd say that Zen beating Broadwell-E in Blender was a best case scenario for AMD; Zen CPUs might be closer to Haswell than Broadwell.

Hope I'm wrong though, I would like to see AMD on top tiers again

The difference between Haswell and Broadwell is TINY though. Anandtech found a 2.7% jump in IPC. Whether Zen performs 2.7% in this way or that is not important. The question is whether or not it's covered all or most of the big IPC gap between current Intel and AMD architectures (mainly Skylake and Broadwell on the Intel side, Excavator and Piledriver on the AMD side).

Also, those specs do matter, but it's not something you can just eyeball and conclude that "yeah this looks more like A than B, so performance will be like A."

36 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The difference between Haswell and Broadwell is TINY though. Anandtech found a 2.7% jump in IPC. Whether Zen performs 2.7% in this way or that is not important. The question is whether or not it's covered all or most of the big IPC gap between current Intel and AMD architectures (mainly Skylake and Broadwell on the Intel side, Excavator and Piledriver on the AMD side).

Also, those specs do matter, but it's not something you can just eyeball and conclude that "yeah this looks more like A than B, so performance will be like A."

I didn't say it's going to be like this, I just wrote how I think Zen will perform, not above but just a tiny bit slower than Broadwell clock for clock. Still, I'd be happy if it could reach Skylake.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 hours ago, Agost said:

I didn't say it's going to be like this, I just wrote how I think Zen will perform, not above but just a tiny bit slower than Broadwell clock for clock. Still, I'd be happy if it could reach Skylake.

Given how small the improvements Intel has been making are, I'd be plenty happy if it just matches Haswell. That's still good enough to provide competition for Skylake and Kaby Lake.

8 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Given how small the improvements Intel has been making are, I'd be plenty happy if it just matches Haswell. That's still good enough to provide competition for Skylake and Kaby Lake.

But we don't know how well it will clock, so in this case I hope for Zen to be as good as possible

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam