AMD Releases More Details on Zen's Architecture

HKZeroFive
32 minutes ago, Demonking said:

no consumer motherboards though, so final cost of system is €100 higher

And the 5820K is over $450 in Norway.

So let me rephrase the original post:

$300 (after import, tax, VAT, etc) IN EUROPE 6-core or bust

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Welcome aboard the Hype Train to Anticipation Square, passing through Suspense Park. Refreshments will be served in the restaurant carriage throughout the trip. We advise any Intel fanboys or AMD haters please exit the train now so as not to inconvenience the other travellers. Please enjoy your journey, and remember: Zen is coming. Get hyped.

shittt.... SHITTT IM ON THE WRONG TRAIN HALP 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

3 hours ago, Thony said:

It would be really nice if ZEN could compete with X99. Intel would finally start working hard instead of sailing with no wind for many years. I do not believe it will and I stand by my opinion until release date.

Intel has done practically all it can for old software that's

1) not programmed with branch, loop, I/O, and cache optimization in mind

2) Not vectorized under MMX, SSE1/2/3/4, AVX/2, FMA

3) not recompiled to have prime edge cares take advantage of newer instruction sets.

You can't make 2 integers add and store to a register or cache in less than a cycle. If it could be done IBM would have by now, as it's Intel's biggest competition. The era of big gains is over. Cache expansion could get us some, but we're stuck until software evolves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If Zen is as fast as all of the marketing makes it up to be, then the era of cheap AMD CPUs are over.

The reason why AMD CPUs are cheap now is not because of design or a strategic plan by AMD to beat Intel CPUs on value. FX CPUs right now are dirt cheap because dirt cheap is the only price that they are somewhat competitive at. The FX series was never meant to be economical; the name itself should really give it away that it was never meant to be a $100 CPU for a budget gaming rig.

If Zen is truly competitive with Broadwell then you are more or less going to get the same prices as current Intel CPUs, but with slightly better value. There's no incentive for AMD to sell an 8 core CPU for $100 anymore.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

13 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel has done practically all it can for old software that's

1) not programmed with branch, loop, I/O, and cache optimization in mind

2) Not vectorized under MMX, SSE1/2/3/4, AVX/2, FMA

3) not recompiled to have prime edge cares take advantage of newer instruction sets.

You can't make 2 integers add and store to a register or cache in less than a cycle. If it could be done IBM would have by now, as it's Intel's biggest competition. The era of big gains is over. Cache expansion could get us some, but we're stuck until software evolves.

I'm still finding it funny that the LODGen tool for Skyrim is literally one of the few programs that actually gets the most out of my 4790K. It uses all 8 threads to around 90%, with the RAM (DDR3 1333) being the bottleneck, as when I run the single DDR3 1600 stick on its own, I see slightly higher CPU usage. And its a tool made only at the personal cost of the developer's free time.

Edit: That's with my 4790K at 4.7GHz stable BTW.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

52 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm still finding it funny that the LODGen tool for Skyrim is literally one of the few programs that actually gets the most out of my 4790K. It uses all 8 threads to around 90%, with the RAM (DDR3 1333) being the bottleneck, as when I run the single DDR3 1600 stick on its own, I see slightly higher CPU usage. And its a tool made only at the personal cost of the developer's free time.

Edit: That's with my 4790K at 4.7GHz stable BTW.

Doesn't necessarily mean they did top notch work with cache, and as for getting 100% CPU usage on all cores, that's no harder than.

for (uint i=0; i<coreCount; i++) {

std::thread(void [](){while(true) {}});

}

If you can't see the code, you can't assume much. That said, if it's hitting RAM hard enough that bandwidth is an issue, chances are it's vectorized, but someone probably didn't think about clustering. Sometimes finishing all of one task on the whole batch of data is less efficient than taking a large chunk and advancing the task on that chunk by several steps and collating the results after finishing all chunks.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm not a fan boy of either company.  That said, us consumers win when AMD is competitive with Intel. 

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Doesn't necessarily mean they did top notch work with cache, and as for getting 100% CPU usage on all cores, that's no harder than.

for (uint i=0; i<coreCount; i++) {

std::thread(void [](){while(true) {}});

}

If you can't see the code, you can't assume much. That said, if it's hitting RAM hard enough that bandwidth is an issue, chances are it's vectorized, but someone probably didn't think about clustering. Sometimes finishing all of one task on the whole batch of data is less efficient than taking a large chunk and advancing the task on that chunk by several steps and collating the results after finishing all chunks.

Well it does run shitloads slower on my i5 4440-it gets pegged out at 100% regardless of the available memory bandwidth. And I could actually test how much of an impact the cache has on it-since I found that the 4790K can have the cache ratio at 1:1 when the overclock is 4.6GHz (4.7GHz on the cache requires a bit too much voltage for comfort-so I stop there when overclocking it). I do know that in synthetics at least there is a significant difference between the cache at stock, and overclocked to 4.6Ghz-in bandwidth and latency (especially with the L3 cache).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Well it does run shitloads slower on my i5 4440-it gets pegged out at 100% regardless of the available memory bandwidth. And I could actually test how much of an impact the cache has on it-since I found that the 4790K can have the cache ratio at 1:1 when the overclock is 4.6GHz (4.7GHz on the cache requires a bit too much voltage for comfort-so I stop there when overclocking it). I do know that in synthetics at least there is a significant difference between the cache at stock, and overclocked to 4.6Ghz-in bandwidth and latency (especially with the L3 cache).

Fair enough. Good for them.

14 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

6-core for $300 or bust

They won't have hexa on launch, if I remember correctly, there will only be 4 and 8 core variants at launch.

23 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

The AMD hype machine is as usual, working at full throttle.

Let's just hope that their CPU engineers were, not as usual, working at full throttle too.

The only people that work for the AMD hype machine are the consumers that support AMD, not their marketing team. AMD doesn't try to disappoint, people get too worked up and get disappointed.

2661333-8872868324-giphy.gif

If they keep hyping this up there is only one possible outcome, since it's very doubtful they can deliver on all of these claims.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

The only people that work for the AMD hype machine are the consumers that support AMD, not their marketing team. AMD doesn't try to disappoint, people get too worked up and get disappointed.

You say this but their marketing strategy is often hype in the form of a misrepresentation of expectations, the fanboys don't help matters but AMD is the root cause. That's why it keeps happening

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Umm right. Did you miss the fact that this are slides from an official AMD event? This isn't a "rumor" this is AMD straight out fucking telling us "Let's get hyped!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 hours ago, Thony said:

Expect to have $200-300. Cant see AMD aiming any higher.

They can't aim any higher. AMD has caused too much damage to get trust being destroyed and it will gonna take a while to restore and gain the trust from customers. I would never pay €200+ for an AMD CPU as AMD is notorious for being weak CPU manufacturer.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

zen looks good but i still wont belive it until its been release. If they are good then amd will become a choice again which is great a monopoly war is kinda lame.

lives on

BAKABT

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

They can't aim any higher. AMD has caused too much damage to get trust being destroyed and it will gonna take a while to restore and gain the trust from customers. I would never pay €200+ for an AMD CPU as AMD is notorious for being weak CPU manufacturer.

Good luck with that.

In any case: that's why reviews exist; so you don't purchase a product blindly. 

For those hyped. Don't be.

AnandTech has a good write up on why you should be skeptical: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I feel AMD's marketing is playing this up like they did with Polaris. Really all anyone can do is wait for the thing to be released and see what the benchmarks pull off in the end.

Really as long as AMD is within spitting distance of Intel in all aspects and not just certain aspects, they get an A for effort.

So many people are going to be let down again. The hype is real with this one. I know everyone wants them to go blow for blow with intel but let's just wait for the reviews and benchmarks... quit it with all of these "leaks" and again wait for the real information to present itself... I personally am getting sick and tired of all this build up bull crap. 

Given the specs provided by Anandtech here, I'd say that Zen beating Broadwell-E in Blender was a best case scenario for AMD; Zen CPUs might be closer to Haswell than Broadwell.

Hope I'm wrong though, I would like to see AMD on top tiers again

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Does AMD expect us to stay "ZEN" for much longer? Some people will go rampant instead with the waiting...

Groomlake Authority

This is the only time ill ever do this but , AMD is the best red communist party, i will support them unlike the blue Intel capitalist pigs. Unite my red brothers, let us crush the blue scum.

'' TOGETHER, WE ARE STRONG '' - Zarya .

AMD-Uprising-6.jpg

(⌐■_■)