reportedly, MSI has serious issues with their GTX1070 cards in China

zMeul
5 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Also people who say that Asus cannot make a proper video card.

Asus only had issues with their Hawai and Grenada cards running hot, due a cooler that was wasnt good enough.

the cooler was quite good, the only issue they had is the GPU placement on the heatsink - that's what they never learned

Shit, I'm sitting on an MSI board (my first ever MSI board) and an MSI GPU :(

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the cooler was quite good, the only issue they had is the GPU placement on the heatsink - that's what they never learned

Well their R9-Fury Strix was totaly fine.

So they obviously learned something.

But as far as AMD cards are concerned in general, Sapphire is mainly the place to be, except from the Sapphire RX470 platinum ED maybe.

Well that's reassuring. Just got an MSI GPU.

Though I didn't buy a new one so I think I'm safe.

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I heard that MSI was pretty mediocre in the mid 2000's, looking it up now, looks like they have always been mediocre and still are.

MSI motherboard VRMs like to fail

http://www.overclock.net/a/database-of-motherboard-vrm-failure-incidents

MSI has a higher failure rate on motherboards

MSI has an average of 20-30% RMA Rate on X99 Motherboards

http://forums.realhardwarereviews.com/news/a-scary-trend-in-the-x99-high-end-failure-rates/

Yeah Msi unfortunatly will never learn as long as they keep cheap out on VRM implementations.

Especialy on certain X99 boards.

The sadd thing about this, is that they trick buyers with false marketing about their VRM implementations.

The only board that Msi did a reasonable good job on the VRM implementation today is the Msi Z170 Xpower titanium, which has an IR implementation.

The IR35201 flexmode pwm running in 6+2 mode.

Using 5 phases doubled to 10 pwm (virtual) phases.

And their Z170 Gaming M7 is also not that bad with an 4+2+1 phase implementation from ISL.

But Msi is also using phase doubling on their X99 boards, and they ask top dollar for their Godlike boards.

They advertise them as a massive 12 phase digital powerphase design.

But thats not true at all, since they use a ISL6388 pwm on all their X99 boards for vcore.

The ISL6388 is a 6+1 true phase analog / Hybrib pwm.

They use ISL6617 phase doublers to double the phase count to 12 phases on the Godlike gaming boards, also on the Mpower and Xpower.

Msi recently launched a new X99 Tomahawk board, and that board has 8 phases for vcore.

But if they again used the same ISL6388 pwm, which they most likely did.

Will mean that they used 4 phases and double them to 8 for vcore, like on the X99S Sli plus, and X99 Raider and X99 Gaming 9 AMK

14 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah Msi unfortunatly will never learn as long as they keep cheap out on VRM implementations.

The sadd thing about this, is that they trick buyers with false marketing about their VRM implementations.

The only board that Msi did a reasonable good job on the VRM implementation today is the Msi Z170 Xpower titanium, which has an IR implementation.

That looks really nice.

Looks like MSI has been looking at Sapphire's motherboards. I really want more white motherboards.

board.jpg

15 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

That looks really nice.

Looks like MSI has been looking at Sapphire's motherboards. I really want more white motherboards.

But back ontopic,

i think i remember a RX480 pcb from msi, on which they also cheaped out on the power delivery.

Not sure what the exact issues are with the GTX1070 / 80.

But it kinda sucks.

20 hours ago, LabRat said:

that's right.

to edit above............. there are 3 motherboard manufacturers that are going belly up. I think Biostar was one of them.......... can't find the article, was wondering if MSI was also on the list. I haven't purchased any of their products in years.

Yes. Most  of the low end mobo manufactures are struggling for a while already.

Apparently you can only profit a lot when the high end products kick in.

And customers go to Gigabyte/asus for high end motherboards, so the little guys got knocked down. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, Sintezza said:

But back ontopic,

i think i remember a RX480 pcb from msi, on which they also cheaped out on the power delivery.

Not sure what the exact issues are with the GTX1070 / 80.

But it kinda sucks.

It's probably the rx 480 gaming X card you mean.

That thing has an 8-pin connector and a 4+2 power phase, at least it looks like it has that.

https://tech4gamers.com/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-smiles-for-the-camera/

Anyway, i just got an MSI B85 whatever board and an msi Z97 pc mate i think.

So i'm probably screwed!...

Let's hope powercolor will be a good choice for my next gpu...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This is quiet terrible news :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Well I guess someone finally decided to give crap electronics to the Chinese instead of the other way around xD

Though I tend to be skeptical of news from China so, meh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

On 06/08/2016 at 8:15 PM, zMeul said:

seems like the culprit for this whole situation are the Samsung's GDDR5 VRAM chips

but who knows, nVidia's GPU Boost 3.0 might have a hand in it too

Samsung GDDR5 is bulletproof. Overclocks like a champ and does wonders with volts. 

MSI just trying to deflect the blame xD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On ‎06‎.‎08‎.‎2016‎. at 10:19 PM, Bhav said:

I've been trying to chase up a clear answer from MSI support why this issue is happening on so many of their mobos, but so far no answer.

palnned obsolesence - it just hit expirity date in BIOS

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

palnned obsolesence - it just hit expirity date in BIOS

4 months after purchase of a recently released product?

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

4 months after purchase of a recently released product?

that's a bug in the code, should've been 4 months after warranty period

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Microcenter near me finally has 10xx series custom cards and they are MSI. Also custom units selling for more than founders.  FTML. 

I li was kind of interested in MSI as people seemed to be happy with them then I read this. 

On 07/08/2016 at 7:55 PM, manikyath said:

last time i had issues with MSI was this era:

image1_e16c35.jpg

although i must admit that there's a part of me secretly hoping that their 900 series cards will all die spectacularly so all the people who have claimed MSI superiority over my 970 strix now get a serious dose of karma :P

You could always laugh at those with Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce and G1 Gaming-those particular GTX 970 make Asus look quite competent. Despite having shitty QC in the past with the tablets/transformers, and being outright retarded with the pricing of Piledriver based notebooks (over $1K AUD got you a terrible A8 4555M for example).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My personal rig's been running fine on an MSI Z97 PC MATE for 1.5 years... hopefully, that won't change. Also, that motherboard is awesome. I didn't use standoffs since it was my first build and I didn't know and the mobo was fine. My PCI-e cards (Graphics card, wireless adapter) kinda died though but still yay for that motherboard.

Anyways, I'm gonna quit recommending MSI products for now until they get stuff sorted together. Hopefully that happens sooner, rather than later.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Just got my MSi 1070 gaming 8g today. already getting artifacts. probably its clocks too high or i dont know well anyway will return it.

19 minutes ago, drok said:

Just got my MSi 1070 gaming 8g today. already getting artifacts. probably its clocks too high or i dont know well anyway will return it.

run a GPU-Z, what VRAM chips it's using

post a screen here

here, funny thing is i only got artifacts after closing the game

gpuz1070gaming.gif

edit:

why do i get 1911mhz when in boost it says 1709

gpuz1070load.JPG

here what it looks like

IMG_20160809_174253.jpg

On Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 3:34 AM, PepperButt said:

TFW i just bought msi gtx 1070 this week (no problem so far though)

Lol,  same here.   Bought the gaming x model last week,  no problems yet... 

I've been rocking an msi z77 mobo for 3 years too,  and haven't had a single issue.   I've even shipped my pc across Canada twice without a hitch! 

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I'm confused now, I saw another post online saying it was the Micron chips at fault and this one is saying its Samsung. Is this problem mostly isolated to cards sold in China? I haven't really seen any complaints at all in USA websites/reviews or forums regarding defective MSI 1070 cards here.

Figures. Glad I returned my MSI board and 1070 and got Asus. MSI has been garbage as long as I've known them. 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q