PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Some models no one knows about:

Leadex Bronze

Leadex II Silver

EVGA GD

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 minutes ago, JDE said:

Some models no one knows about:

Leadex Bronze

Leadex II Silver

EVGA GD

knew about the GD months ago, not so much about the superflowers though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

On 8/2/2017 at 8:37 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

T3 cuz fan, RIP

Are you kidding?!

Because there are sleeve/rifle bearing fan that might last longer than some FDB fans...

As for caps:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135095#post135095

And what do you say about my dead Super Flower made Silentmaxx 550W Start Stopp?? Ìt has all japanese caps. And is dead. No +5VSB no more. And caps are all fine.

So why hype those darn caps so much when everything else isn't less prone to failure?!

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

23 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Pure power 10 CM is the same as the pure power 10, just semi mod IIRC

True that's the only difference. And why should there be more?

Though the CM has a couple of Polymer capacitors on the modular PCB; the non CM can not have those...

Still one of the best options in this range. 
I wouldn't care much for Wapanese Capacitors. Why should I when my Super Flower made Golden Green based one died a couple of days ago - WITH full Wapanese capacitors....

The modern PSU designs are so good that caps don't matter much no more.
And they don't get hot either.

We are takling about 30-40°C, maybe in worst cases 50°C. They are rated for 105°C...
So they should last for a couple of years...

52 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Are you kidding?!
That's a dumb thing to say about a be quiet...

Because there are sleeve/rifle bearing fan that might last longer than some FDB fans...

Still, we don't like sleeve bearing. Would much prefer rifle or ball bearing. Don't buy by brand.

39 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

True that's the only difference. And why should there be more?

Though the CM has a couple of Polymer capacitors on the modular PCB; the non CM can not have those...

Still one of the best options in this range. 
I wouldn't care much for Wapanese Capacitors. Why should I when my Super Flower made Golden Green based one died a couple of days ago - WITH full Wapanese capacitors....

The modern PSU designs are so good that caps don't matter much no more.
And they don't get hot either.

We are takling about 30-40°C, maybe in worst cases 50°C. They are rated for 105°C...
So they should last for a couple of years...

A lot of people still care. If you charged me $200 for a 1000W PSU, I would expect Japanese capacitors. Even if you only charged me $150, I would still expect some Japanese capacitors. When did you buy this Golden Green unit? It's a very high quality unit. SeaSonic and Super Flower make the best PSUs on the market.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Are you kidding?!

Sleeves by design can't be mounted horizontally indefinitely without failure due to lack of lubrication like a ball or rifle. Of course a ball or rifle will one day fail but a sleeve should never be mounted like that.

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, JDE said:

Still, we don't like sleeve bearing. Would much prefer rifle or ball bearing. 

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sleeves by design can't be mounted horizontally indefinitely without failure due to lack of lubrication like a ball or rifle. Of course a ball or rifle will one day fail but a sleeve should never be mounted like that.

For god's sake, don't you even look at the manufacturers page?!

Bearing technology    Rifle

Click on Technical Data -> Fan/Cooling Technology

4 hours ago, JDE said:

When did you buy this Golden Green unit? It's a very high quality unit. SeaSonic and Super Flower make the best PSUs on the market.

Doesn't matter. What matters is that the cap selection in this unit wouldn't have mattered. It would have failed either way. It has '100% Japanese Capacitors' but it still failed. And that's what you are missing.

Modern PSUs are so complex that the probability of something else failing is much much higher than in previous units. And due to complexety, we can NOT easily guess the expected lifetime.

In some units the +5VSB Controller just dies (violently).

What benefit would anyone have with a defect like that?! 

And before someone asks:
Older PSUs from 15 Years ago did not have any FET inside it. NONE. 

Rectification on the secondary side was done with (Schottky) Diodes, primary Side had high voltage Power Transistors. not ONE FET was found in those PSUs. Until later, much much later...

Buttom Line:
Capacitor Choice is way less important than you make them out to be.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

For god's sake, don't you even look at the manufacturers page?!

Bearing technology    Rifle

Click on Technical Data -> Fan/Cooling Technology

Don't quote me, I'm not the one doing the reading. I didn't say anything and @STRMfrmXMN is just like Tier 3, it's sleeve bearing.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Doesn't matter. What matters is that the cap selection in this unit wouldn't have mattered. It would have failed either way. It has '100% Japanese Capacitors' but it still failed. And that's what you are missing.

Modern PSUs are so complex that the probability of something else failing is much much higher than in previous units. And due to complexety, we can NOT easily guess the expected lifetime.

In some units the +5VSB Controller just dies (violently).

What benefit would anyone have with a defect like that?! 

And before someone asks:
Older PSUs from 15 Years ago did not have any FET inside it. NONE. 

Rectification on the secondary side was done with (Schottky) Diodes, primary Side had high voltage Power Transistors. not ONE FET was found in those PSUs. Until later, much much later...

Buttom Line:
Capacitor Choice is way less important than you make them out to be.

I know, but when I pay $100-200+ to buy a PSU, I expect Japanese capacitors. For example, the EVGA G2, for $80, is a very good Super Flower Leadex rebrand and contains Japanese capacitors. The SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS GOLD, is also a similar price, and also contains Japanese capacitors. When I pay a lot, I expect the best. I'll buy something that's 100% Teapo or Taicon, but when I pay a lot, I expect Jap caps.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

Don't quote me, I'm not the one doing the reading. I didn't say anything and @STRMfrmXMN is just like Tier 3, it's sleeve bearing.

Yeah and and the Motor, Lubricant and so on doesn't matter, does it???

Why do you think that a sealed Sleve Bearing fan with high(est) quality oil is worse than an FDB fan with bad oil??

This also is more complicated.

And have you ever heard of a fan of a Pure Power L8 fail? I haven't...

Just now, JDE said:

I know, but when I pay $100-200+ to buy a PSU, I expect Japanese capacitors. For example, the EVGA G2, for $80, is a very good Super Flower Leadex rebrand and contains Japanese capacitors. The SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS GOLD, is also a similar price, and also contains Japanese capacitors. When I pay a lot, I expect the best. I'll buy something that's 100% Teapo or Taicon, but when I pay a lot, I expect Jap caps.

And what good does "Wapanese" Capacitors do, if the weak spot of a PSU is somewhere else??
For example no OCP anywhere and the PSU dies because easily. 

Or other weakspots...

All it leads down to is that we have to trust the manufactuer...

25 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah and and the Motor, Lubricant and so on doesn't matter, does it???

Why do you think that a sealed Sleve Bearing fan with high(est) quality oil is worse than an FDB fan with bad oil??

This also is more complicated.

And have you ever heard of a fan of a Pure Power L8 fail? I haven't...

And what good does "Wapanese" Capacitors do, if the weak spot of a PSU is somewhere else??
For example no OCP anywhere and the PSU dies because easily. 

Or other weakspots...

All it leads down to is that we have to trust the manufactuer...

What if there are no other major weak spots? Don't overcharge me for something!

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

You still have a rather complicated piece of equipment where it's not a given that the caps will fail after 2 Seconds if they ain't wapanese. 

And as stated from jonnyguru and I linked that (a couple of times actually), there are other components that are much more important than the capacitors.

And why should caps that rarely get 50°C hot, not last long enough for the device??
We aren't talking about a baking oven where the caps are stresst to the top, quite the opposite with modern things...

Quick question guys:

Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi, RMi, RMx, SF, Vengeance, grey-label HX (2017), 2017 TXM

Is the grey-label TX650M really that good to be in Tier 1? I told my friend to buy it because of the 850W version jonnyguru review and this tier list :P

This particular model: TX650M 650W (CP-9020132-EU) @STRMfrmXMN I'd be glad if you could answer me ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Quick question guys:

Is the grey-label TX650M really that good to be in Tier 1? I told my friend to buy it because of the 850W version jonnyguru review and this tier list :P

This particular model: TX650M 650W (CP-9020132-EU) @STRMfrmXMN I'd be glad if you could answer me ^_^

I clumped the whole group in there based on the review of the 650W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I clumped the whole group in there based on the review of the 650W.

Afaik the 550W is not a great model out of the TXm series, I don't have a source I just recall seeing it here. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

Afaik the 550W is not a great model out of the TXm series, I don't have a source I just recall seeing it here. 

The lower (550/650w) models are worse but probably still T1 material, lemme find the review I found on it (Be warned, it's not in English).

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

4 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

The lower (550/650w) models are worse but probably still T1 material, lemme find the review I found on it (Be warned, it's not in English).

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_tx550m/s01.php

Between 40 and 50mV ripple on the 12V rail. Ouch.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

Hmm, the review I saw had it better than that, I'm going through my Reddit history trying to find it...

PCs:

42 minutes ago, JDE said:

So I can't find the old review on it and realhardtechx is useless, maybe JG can chime in? I don't know much about GW platforms so I can't even say if it's the same as a different PSU...

PCs:

1 minute ago, awesomegamer919 said:

So I can't find the old review on it and realhardtechx is useless, maybe JG can chime in? I don't know much about GW platforms so I can't even say if it's the same as a different PSU...

@jonnyGURU

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I'm going to make a database of platforms.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

I'm going to make a database of platforms.

GL with that, there are a lot of different platforms, even from the same OEM...

PCs:

1 minute ago, awesomegamer919 said:

GL with that, there are a lot of different platforms, even from the same OEM...

Lol I know. I know A LOT of platforms.

BTW if anyone wants to help me I'll take it :P

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

Lol I know. I know A LOT of platforms.

BTW if anyone wants to help me I'll take it :P

Yeah, Im happy to give a hand.

PCs: