UW, Microsoft claim big breakthrough with data storage using DNA

maulemall

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/uw-microsoft-claim-big-breakthrough-with-data-storage-using-dna/

DNA storage of the type demonstrated in the UW lab could, theoretically, store an exabyte (one billion gigabytes) of data in about one cubic inch of DNA material, said Karin Strauss, Microsoft’s lead researcher on the project. Storing that much data by conventional methods would require a warehouse-sized data center.

ONE BILLION GIGS IN 1 cu In.

Suck It Samsung

DNA is also highly durable.

Hard disk or flash drives can fail in a few years. Magnetic tape, the researchers say, lasts a few decades, and DVDs and other laser-read media can survive perhaps a century.

Under the right conditions, Ceze said, data encoded on DNA could be readable for thousands of years.

O Jesus ... Now all the dumb shit you did will be around forever.

Now I read the part where they said they used synthetic DNA but what about natural organic human DNA.

Can you literally become a library.

I wonder how a DNA to USB adapter would look like

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

6 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

We already know how much it will cost though: way too much

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

Yea I don't want to see that plug

*holds up arm* PLUG ME IN BOYZZZ

No seriously though, at this point DNA and digital data are starting to be inter exchangeable because if they store data inside a DNA string they basically make gene's, which in biology are seen as natures memory(roughly put)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

7 minutes ago, maulemall said:

Yea I don't want to see that plug

even worse: USB to DNA. 

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

13 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

and it only comes in USB 2.0 for lighting fast backups of microsoft databases.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

20 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhVPRK0g3qmiXpqEEZIzq 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

nice and all but keep in mind they have only successfully encoded about 200 megabytes of data onto synthetic DNA molecules.

This has been around for a while. There was a thread ages ago about it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

24 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

This has been around for a while. There was a thread ages ago about it

No, different article this came out ,

Originally published July 7, 2016 at 5:30 am Updated July 7, 2016 at 5:55 am

If you would like to ad something I would love to hear it.

Look, this is a small aside...

But it BUGS THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUT OF ME THAT University of Washington calls itself UW and magically that ends up fucking with the University of Wisconsin's ability to distinguish itself both through internet searches or news articles (like honestly while Microsoft is a hint, if a medical paper came out and was in the news saying UW researches did X, you literally could not know which University they were talking about.)

The University of Wisconsin (or colloquially known as Madison, UW-Madison, but never UW-M within state due to UW-Milwaukee) is a larger (31k ugrad vs 30k), older (1848 vs 1861), higher ranked (#41 vs #53), more endowed (#3 in R&D spending vs #4) public university, and also has used the UW moniker since it's inception...

True story, numerous madden games use "Madison" as the name of the school while U Wash uses "UW".

Oh, and if you type UW into google, you almost never get results for U Wisc, even though this list of names from the domain are heavily visited...

Both of these following links would take you to results both U Wisc and U Wash students would try to use on a near weekly basis (if not more.)

my.wisc.edu (site title My UW)

my.uw.edu (site title My UW)

Oh and both use the same "Net ID" system so that doesn't help distinguish them either.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

DNA is also highly durable.

Under the right conditions, Ceze said, data encoded on DNA could be readable for thousands of years.

Now that is interesting.  First thing I thought when I read the headline was "ok that's cool, but it's kind of useless if it degrades in a year or something like that"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now that is interesting.  First thing I thought when I read the headline was "ok that's cool, but it's kind of useless if it degrades in a year or something like that"

So when wrapped up (through histone acetylation) DNA is incredibly stable. The issue is that while you read/write it, it is much less so and mammals have like 7 different checks against DNA corruption and it still doesn't cover it for life-time protection. (Think sink cancer rates)

The overall error rate of DNA polymerase in the replisome is 10-8 errors per base pair. Repair enzymes fix 99% of these lesions for an overall error rate of 10-10 per bp. 

The commonly sited statistic. Although I'd propose error rates are much higher than that overall (there are other error inducement points from mRNA to tRNA to packaging induced errors etc etc.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_digital_data_storage

It is, however, a slow process, as the DNA needs to be sequenced in order to retrieve the data, and so the method is intended for uses with a low access rate such as long-term archival of large amounts of scientific data.

So basically, it will never be used in anything that needs to have a high amount of I/O performance. Think "replacement for DVD" rather than "replacement for hard drive".

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

12 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So when wrapped up (through histone acetylation) DNA is incredibly stable. The issue is that while you read/write it, it is much less so and mammals have like 7 different checks against DNA corruption and it still doesn't cover it for life-time protection. (Think sink cancer rates)

The commonly sited statistic. Although I'd propose error rates are much higher than that overall (there are other error inducement points from mRNA to tRNA to packaging induced errors etc etc.)

Are you talking synthetic DNA?

7 minutes ago, maulemall said:

Are you talking synthetic DNA?

Synthetic DNA is standard DNA. They use the exact same molecules and currently use the exact same replication/splicing/error correcting enzymes (well cherry picked from nature but still).

That is why things are so slow to encode and decode (and expensive). Likewise the histone acetylation process is the exact same (although the histone's can be specifically tailored for the wanted DNA space and compression shape).

Thus for now, you'd expect no better than nature provides in this situation (and indeed you'd expect much worse for now due to some very complicated protein issues.)

A good basic explanation of the process by which DNA is rendered into this highly compact dense storage media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histone_acetylation_and_deacetylation

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

14 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I'm not super strong in genetics, but normally Dna repairs itself/removes errors during transcription/translation. So maybe the errors would happen outside of the natural process when being read "artificially".

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 minute ago, Nup said:

I'm not super strong in genetics, but normally Dna repairs itself/removes errors during transcription/translation. So maybe the errors would happen outside of the natural process when being read "artificially".

Below is the commonly sited statistic on base pair errors:

The overall error rate of DNA polymerase in the replisome is 10-8 errors per base pair. Repair enzymes fix 99% of these lesions for an overall error rate of 10-10 per bp. 

For now, these processes use enzymes very very similar to those found in nature, so you'd expect replication error rates about the same (or a bit worse).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Wouldn't you need a powerful computer to be able to read it though? As in very powerful?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

19 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

DNA lasts forever we can sequence the DNA of neanderthals and stuff

22 hours ago, Bsmith said:

*holds up arm* PLUG ME IN BOYZZZ

No seriously though, at this point DNA and digital data are starting to be inter exchangeable because if they store data inside a DNA string they basically make gene's, which in biology are seen as natures memory(roughly put)

i dont think rearranging your DNA would be good for you

46 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont think rearranging your DNA would be good for you

just rearranging it is a bad idea indeed, but if you know how to replace or repair bits without too many Hick ups it can lead to nice breakthroughs, but for that we need to be able to read everything and make it write what we want, the writing of it is something that gets done with the process Microsoft uses to store data, if it's inter compatible directly is something that I doubt, but in the long run? who knows.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.